Auto-height/second scroll bar problem.

Started by brandongco, May 31, 2005, 04:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandongco

I'm having a problem getting SMF or Mambo (not sure which one) to play nice with longer threads. Well, actually, it's just not refreshing things like it should, I believe. I've dug both through my site and through help sites and this just has me stumped. Here's what's up.

In longer threads, I get a scrollbar within the wrapper like this one (the one the big blue arrow is pointing to):

I think I know part of the problem. When I navigate to the message boards using the link in my Mambo menu, the "frame" that SMF is opened in is set to fit HOME of SMF. But when I navigate from board to board, or from message to message, within the boards, that frame never resizes. Ever.

I've noticed on numerous other Mambo-SMF sites, it seems the entire site is refreshing (including all the mambo stuff) quickly when navigating around in the boards. On these sites, I never see this second scroll bar popup for SMF.

Frankly, this second scroll bar is ugly and annoying and I want to watch it die. But, like I said, I'm stumped. How do I get this thing to resize properly for every board and discussion thread?  ???  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Kindred

a site URL and test account would be helpful...

Also... this problem that you mention is most commonly related to the WRAPPER component.
If you are using the bridge for SMf-Mambo, you should NOT be using the wrapper.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

brandongco

Sorry about that, the url is www.gcoministries.net/home/ [nofollow]  (the site isn't finished; we're stuck with trying to figure out why the Mambo-SMF bridge keeps breaking Community Builder, but that's another topic for another thread).

The menu link to the message boards is the one automatically created by the bridge when it's installed. I don't believe that uses the wrapper. Though, I am new to this and even though I've read everything I can find, I could be mistaken.

Kindred

what bridge are you using????

the link that I get when attempting to access your message boards link in the main menu is:
http://www.gcoministries.net/home/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,30/

this certainly indicates that it is using the wrapper.

And all the links within the board itself are accessing the forum url directly.

This means that you are not using Orstio's bridge (3.17) or mambohacks bridge (1.3.x)
because both of these bridges access the forum by using a call to com_smf, not com_wrapper.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

brandongco

We're using mambohacks v1.3.1. 
From my installed components list:
Mambo-SMF Forum       option=com_smf      Cowboy1015      1.3.1      March 2005      [email protected]      www.MamboHacks.com [nofollow]

I'll take it out, redownload it, and try again.

But the link for Message Boards was the one that was automatically inserted after the bridge was installed. I'll try again, just to make sure I'm really using the version I think I am.

I haven't heard of Orstio's bridge. I'll do a search for it and give it a whirl if I keep getting the same problem with Mambohacks bridge.

I'm beginning to think all the problems we're having are definitely connected to this bridge problem...

Thanks for your help so far! I'll check back and let you know what I found out!

brandongco

And... it worked. I have no idea why taking it out and putting it back in worked, but it did.

Now I'm on to figure out why Community Builder keeps breaking. Wish me luck! (And look for my right hand man, pattern scribe, asking questions here, too!)

brandongco

Well, it did work, but now it doesn't properly display the template.  ::)

But, one thing at a time, eh?

Kindred

yes... there are issues with the default SMF template in mambo...  but then again, once you wrap the forum with mambo, you don't really need the login, key stats or news boxes at the top of the forum. So just comment them out in the SMF template file (index.template.php)
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: