News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Pros/Cons of offering rewards.

Started by di3f00l, May 26, 2010, 08:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

di3f00l

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be offering rewards on my site for users through the SMFShop function. People will make points thru posting & making guides, and they can use that for different stuff in the game (which costs me real money). The only thing I'm debating is that after I get like my first 15000-20000 posts, I won't be able to support this feature. Well, until I get an affiliate or something like that. I'm scared that once I take that away I'll be doing worse than I would have if I never introduced it. I'm starting from 0 members btw, its not like there will have been a time before this feature. It will be there then gone. If that makes sense?

rd

Quote from: di3f00l on May 26, 2010, 08:46:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be offering rewards on my site for users through the SMFShop function. People will make points thru posting & making guides, and they can use that for different stuff in the game (which costs me real money). The only thing I'm debating is that after I get like my first 15000-20000 posts, I won't be able to support this feature. Well, until I get an affiliate or something like that. I'm scared that once I take that away I'll be doing worse than I would have if I never introduced it. I'm starting from 0 members btw, its not like there will have been a time before this feature. It will be there then gone. If that makes sense?

The first thing you should be worrying about is getting members and posts... It's harder said then done, at least for some people.

di3f00l

Quote from: Royalduke on May 26, 2010, 08:52:47 PM
The first thing you should be worrying about is getting members and posts... It's harder said then done, at least for some people.

Which is why I was thinking of using this. $75 could get me like.. 15000-20000 posts.

rd

Quote from: di3f00l on May 26, 2010, 08:57:17 PM
Quote from: Royalduke on May 26, 2010, 08:52:47 PM

Which is why I was thinking of using this. $75 could get me like.. 15000-20000 posts.

What I meant was that if you really think so then you should try it first before thinking about giving more.

di3f00l

But what I'm asking is will this hurt me more later on than help?

trebul

Let me see if I understand correctly you won't be giving away any reward until you hit 15,000 posts?

That could potentially be a very, very long time. I doubt people would be interested since that is a huge milestone to reach.

Love talking about pets?
      Visit a friendly pet forum!

Looking for tips to running a forum?
      Trebul's community guide

di3f00l

Quote from: trebul on May 26, 2010, 11:48:45 PM
Let me see if I understand correctly you won't be giving away any reward until you hit 15,000 posts?

That could potentially be a very, very long time. I doubt people would be interested since that is a huge milestone to reach.

No my funds will only last till then.

trebul

In that case I don't think it would hurt having the rewards. You say it is going to be based on post count, that could lead to a lot of single word responses.

Love talking about pets?

Trebul's community guide

di3f00l

Quote from: trebul on May 27, 2010, 02:18:41 AM
In that case I don't think it would hurt having the rewards. You say it is going to be based on post count, that could lead to a lot of single word responses.

That's true.. :/

trebul

I was thinking more about this and what if you have sort of a competition for people to write guides for the game.

For a certain time period you could select a topic about the game and have people write a guide related to that part of the game. At the end you could select the best / most informative and send them a reward. Then repeat for another part of the game.

Love talking about pets?

Trebul's community guide

di3f00l

Quote from: trebul on May 27, 2010, 02:01:29 PM
I was thinking more about this and what if you have sort of a competition for people to write guides for the game.

For a certain time period you could select a topic about the game and have people write a guide related to that part of the game. At the end you could select the best / most informative and send them a reward. Then repeat for another part of the game.
Very good idea once I get members. Currently I'm planning on offering them like 250-1000 points depending on how good the guide is, but yeah once I get a good number of members, I can change that into a weekly event and the winner gets like a few thousand points. Thanks for the suggestion :D That will really help to make the guide 'table of contents' full in all areas rather than just the stuff everyone knows about.

Siirist

If I remember right, SMF ver 2.0 RC3 has a setting or there is a Mod that sets a minimum number of words in a post.

Wish I could remember.

Take Care,
Cloud 8)
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Liam.

Quote from: A Cloud Walker on June 03, 2010, 01:53:59 AM

If I remember right, SMF ver 2.0 RC3 has a setting or there is a Mod that sets a minimum number of words in a post.

Wish I could remember.

Take Care,
Cloud 8)

It's as a mod, not a core feature ;)

But in my opinion, if offering rewards gets your users 'into it', how will they get active on your site in the first place?

Siirist

*nods in agreement (because we have one forum {www.asanctuary.net/yoursanctuary} that touches an area that no one wants to talk about assault and abuse)

This same forum ALSO has another side that is JUST for those that know or care about survivors of abuse or assault, so they can join.

Those that don't want to register are welcomed to just browse
through the 4 public boards that have 48 resource topics .

Yet there isn't an explaination why people are not flocking over to RollerDerbyForum.org

Cloud
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Siirist

Anyone have thoughts or ideas?

Cloud
Needed information:

Advertisement: