News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrate from SMF 2.0 RC2 to the last version

Started by tatack, April 04, 2010, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatack

Hell all,

where I can find the file to upgrade the forum starting from SMF 2.0 RC2?

Thank You

Kill Em All

Upgrading SMF

That will tell you how to upgrade and where to obtain the upgrade packages.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

tatack

Kill Em All

http://download.simplemachines.org/

Look there and scroll down to 2.0 and download the large upgrade package and follow the instructions I linked above. :)

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

tatack

Quote from: Kill Em All on April 04, 2010, 08:15:12 PM
http://download.simplemachines.org/

Look there and scroll down to 2.0 and download the large upgrade package and follow the instructions I linked above. :)

Thank you, I'm trying.

Kill Em All

tatack

Quote from: Kill Em All on April 04, 2010, 08:41:00 PM
Let us know how it goes. :)
Why my original template disappear? Now I have the standard one.

Also all my old MOD are disappear.

Kill Em All

Yes because you are replacing all your old files with the new ones. That is required to get caught up to RC3. It sucks, I know. But when the final comes around that will no longer be necessary.

flapjack

Quote from: Kill Em All on April 04, 2010, 09:31:48 PM
Yes because you are replacing all your old files with the new ones. That is required to get caught up to RC3. It sucks, I know. But when the final comes around that will no longer be necessary.
care to elaborate?

tatack

Quote from: Kill Em All on April 04, 2010, 09:31:48 PM
I'm caming back because it's too late in Italy and I have no time to set the new forum.

I need only to replace the directory with the old one or also the database has been changed?

tatack

Quote from: flapjack on April 04, 2010, 09:51:19 PM
you should run upgrade.php to upgrade database
I run upgrade.php to upgrade the forum, but now I would like to came back to the previous version.

I have to do something with the database to make the forum working?

flapjack

ok, got ya. if you want to downgrade, the only way I know is to convert to i.e. phpBB and then back to SMF

tatack

Quote from: flapjack on April 04, 2010, 09:57:38 PM
ok, got ya. if you want to downgrade, the only way I know is to convert to i.e. phpBB and then back to SMF
i.e. phpBB? I was using SMF 2.0 RC2.

Kill Em All

When you need to upgrade your forum, you download the large upgrade package, it has a fresh set of new SMF files with code changes that fixed bugs from previous versions. So using FTP you transferred all those files over onto your webserver, thus overwriting all the old files(thus a clean set of files, and the mods aren't there). You can still download the mods and themes as long as they are compatible with the new RC3 version. In some upgrading cases, database changes are made, so when you run the upgrade.php it will make the necessary database changes along with other things. Then when all finished, you should make sure that the upgrade.php along with the sql files the large upgrade package comes with are deleted from the server(for security).

What I meant by when 2.0 gold comes around, after gold is released, then you will beable to update through the admin cp instead of having to use large upgrade packages(and them removing your mods) because it is only small amounts of code that are being changed. Because 2.0 is in beta/release candidate, large amounts of code are changed when there is a new release.

If you want to go back to the previous version, you have to go to something like phpbb then convert to RC2, but your mods/theme will still be lost... so it is completely pointless.

tatack

At thi stime all seems ok after I sent all the old file to the server, but I don't see all the avatar charged by users.

Any folder have to be set whit 777 permission?

Kill Em All

What do you mean you don't see all the avatars changed by users?

flapjack

Quote from: tatack on April 04, 2010, 09:59:20 PM
Quote from: flapjack on April 04, 2010, 09:57:38 PM
i.e. phpBB? I was using SMF 2.0 RC2.
the only way known by me to downgrade from 2.x to 1.x is to convert to some alternative software first, I only suggested phpBB as afaik this converter is nearly 100% problem free

tatack

Quote from: Kill Em All on April 04, 2010, 10:12:28 PM
What do you mean you don't see all the avatars changed by users?

Yes, seems that I have lost a lot of user's avatar.

Also the MODs seems not installed in the Admin panel, but instead are working fine.

Now I receive the message "Package folder or one of the file inside have not the corret permission".....but the "Packages" folder is 777...

The system tell me "No MODS installed", but instead all the old MODS are still working. The is not I way to update it in order to make it syncronized?

Advertisement: