News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Users can't see forums

Started by shadown7, April 04, 2010, 11:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadown7

Hi guys,

I'm having a issue that I can't figure out.  Here is what is happening.  So far only 2 people have reported this issue.  When they log in to the forums they don't see a single forum.  You can see what I'm talking about with the below screenshot. 

What has happened is I switched to a new host.  I then downloaded the repair_settings.php file and took the suggestion paths.  One user said that fixed if for him but the other still can not see it.  I've even logged in as them and I can see all the forums with their account.  It is only on there end???

I have no idea what to do to fix this.

I'm running RC2 with no mods.  This problem started after I moved hosts.  The weird this is a majority of my users are not having this issue.  I can not reproduce the error on my end. 

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I could try?

Kill Em All

Tell them to clear that cookies and cache. That should fix the problem.

Also might want to upgrade to RC3.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

shadown7

They are telling me they have done this but it is not working for them.  I have no idea if they did this or not.  I'll do that upgrade this weekend.

Thanks!

Kill Em All

Are they in the same membergroups? Are other people in their membergroup/post count group?

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

shadown7

Quote from: Kill Em All on April 05, 2010, 12:28:30 PM
Are they in the same membergroups? Are other people in their membergroup/post count group?

Yes, they are all in the default member groups.  I had another new user report the same problem with a little different twist.  He said when he first logged in he could see everything fine but when he tried to reply to a thread it didn't go through and now he can not see anything just like the other user.  This same exact thing happened to the first user before I fixed the settings.  What is driving me crazy is it is not happening to everyone.

Thanks!

shadown7

I just checked the error logs and this is the error the user got

http://forums/index.php?action=profile;u=2

8: Undefined index: max_menu_id

File: public_html/forums/Sources/Profile.php
Line: 385

Kill Em All

I see you are running RC2. I would suggest upgrading to RC3. That might fix the problem because you would be replacing all your files with a new set, plus you would  be fixing bugs and security holes. I believe this was a bug in RC2 to. Make sure to back up everything beforehand.

shadown7

Thanks.

I just upgraded to RC3 and have emailed the users that had trouble.  I'm now waiting to hear back from them.

shadown7

Apparently it didn't work. :-\

Those users are still getting "No valid boards were selected!" when they log in.

I'm so frustrated with this issue and I have no idea what to try.  We have a lot of forum information that I don't want to loose.  Anyone have any other ideas as to why some users can see the forums but others have no problems what so ever?

Thanks again.

Kill Em All

What is in your forum error logs?

Does this happen on the default theme?

shadown7

When the user tried to access the forums the error log had "No valid boards were selected" when he tried to read the read posts.

I just tried to run a the maintenance option "Check all files against current version" and I failed and I got the below in the error logs.

http://forums/index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=routine;activity=version2: dir(//forums/Themes/rgbbcurve) [<a href='function.dir'>function.dir</a>]: failed to open dir: No such file or directoryFile: /l/forums/Sources/Subs-Admin.php
Line: 187

I'll force that user to use the default theme and let you know.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Kill Em All

He said he ran it after the upgrade, but running it again wouldn't hurt. :)

kat

That was my thinking... (Honest!)

Kill Em All

kat

Unfortunately, so do weird ones. ;)

Kill Em All

Uh oh, possibility that we might be in trouble. :p

shadown7, let us know what the results are when you run repair_settings.php again.

shadown7

I ran to tool again and the setting showed all correct.  I deleted and recreated the problem users account since he had no posts anyways and I'm now waiting for a response from him.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

shadown7

After I recreated his account it appears to be OK.  Don't know if others will still have problems but right now it looks OK.

Thanks for you help.

Kill Em All

Strange. Maybe just a bad entry in the database....

If this is solved feel free to mark it as solved.

Advertisement: