News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Ignore Topics/Mark as Read all the time/Unsubscribe topic

Started by Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R), April 09, 2010, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Arantor

Heh. Don't get me wrong, this is a major feature I'd welcome here (since there are so many topics I no longer want in my unreadreplies, Ad Management mod, nneonneo's shoutbox for starters)

I just don't have any desire to write any more mods, really.

FLAMER: Me cuz I'm such a BAAAAD troll.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Whats the progress in the team board on the implementation of this mod though? Is it just sitting there doing nothing ? Someone should give it a start up. It is really needed!

kat

Someone's going to bring it up at the next team meeting, I believe. Not sure, but I think that's tonight, when I'm in bed.

Edit: Having checked at the top of the page, it's in a coupla days.

Ain't teknoligery wunnerful?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Kat on April 10, 2010, 03:43:02 PM
Someone's going to bring it up at the next team meeting, I believe. Not sure, but I think that's tonight, when I'm in bed.

Edit: Having checked at the top of the page, it's in a coupla days.

Ain't teknoligery wunnerful?

I hope it is implemented soon. The amount of trolling is increasing day by day! :P

kat

Oh, we can cut that easily, at a stroke.

We just ban F.L.A.M.E.R.  ;)

Arantor

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on April 10, 2010, 03:38:52 PM
Whats the progress in the team board on the implementation of this mod though? Is it just sitting there doing nothing ? Someone should give it a start up. It is really needed!

The team implementation is doubtless the one that is the currently available mod. That's been in the board since before I joined the team but no-one wanted to add it here because 1) it's not a core feature in SMF and isn't "vital" for providing support (while Topic Solved arguably is), and 2) the performance cost on a forum this size is immense, which is why my hack solution is actually a winner in its own little, special, way.

Banning FLAMER won't solve the problem, he's not a troll much. No, what you need to do is ban the current public enemy number 42, spam and troll king, user #53626 because he's such a d*ck and a pain and is abusive and never helps anyone and never tires of irritating people.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

kat

I believe VB updated the mod, for here, didn't he?

Heh... Just considered, for a brief nanosecond, changing my handle to F.A.N.N.Y.

I forgot the England-English meaning, though...

Arantor

He updated it for RC3, but the performance caveats that Karl originally spotlighted are just as apparent. Figuring it out for the board/message index isn't too bad, but on recent topics/unread/unread replies, it will punish a server.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Arantor on April 10, 2010, 03:50:58 PM
Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on April 10, 2010, 03:38:52 PM

The team implementation is doubtless the one that is the currently available mod. That's been in the board since before I joined the team but no-one wanted to add it here because 1) it's not a core feature in SMF and isn't "vital" for providing support (while Topic Solved arguably is), and 2) the performance cost on a forum this size is immense, which is why my hack solution is actually a winner in its own little, special, way.

Banning FLAMER won't solve the problem, he's not a troll much. No, what you need to do is ban the current public enemy number 42, spam and troll king, user #53626 because he's such a d*ck and a pain and is abusive and never helps anyone and never tires of irritating people.

There are soo many things that SMF has in its own private lab. It can be done the same way.

I suppose the advertisements it shows is coded for its own special needs. Its not a mod that is made public. Same way the mod site. It is like a download files mod which would be useful for the users in a certain way. Not everything that SMF main site has is made public. It won't need support after it is once made (hopefully) or might be some minor adjustments when the next version of SMF is out. The charter members though are contributing in a good enough amount, I suppose that amount can add in a few gig's of RAM and improve the performance with this mod implemented..

~DS~

Wait...are you guys talking about the subscribe/unsubscribe feature Vbullentin had?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 10, 2010, 04:02:02 PM
Wait...are you guys talking about the subscribe/unsubscribe feature Vbullentin had?

Somewhat similar as copying a feature from other CMS's is just not original. Doesn't make it one of a kind. ;)

Arantor

Sorta. You know how once you reply in a topic, it's forever in your 'new replies to my posts' page? The mod we're talking about lets you remove a topic from that.

However due to performance limits it lets you only have 10 topics IIRC because of the suddenly scary extra workload involved in not matching topics.

I did a version as posted in that mod's thread that's a hack but allows you to ignore topics (never appear to have replies/never appear as new) without any extra performance cost, but it's ugly.

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Arantor

Its whole premise is ugly.

When you read a topic, the id of the last message you read (if you're part way through a topic) or another suitably high message id (last posted forumwide) is used to track the 'last' one you've read.

All the mod does is enforce that the value that goes into that column is the highest possible message id, so it will never appear to have new posts since as far as SMF is concerned, the last post you read had id 2147000000 or so (largest number that can be safely used in 32 bit PHP)

Marking it unread will break this behaviour, too, because it'll reset the value of that column, however if you're marking it unread presumably you're unignoring it anyway.

kat

Just had a thought...

If I remove my posts from, say, the Highslide topic, will the "Show replies to your posts" thing stop?

Arantor

Yes, they will. I'd argue that unless they're really beneficial they should be left in place though.

Could always ask the admins to reassign them to someone else by resetting id_member from the messages table to 0.

kat

Oh, if they were a useful contribution, sure.

If it was just saying "Thanks" to a mod creator, it can go. Something like that.

I'll try that, when I can be arsed.

Advertisement: