Ignore Topics/Mark as Read all the time/Unsubscribe topic

Started by Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R), April 09, 2010, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Nah, not finished unbreaking SimpleDesk by totally rewriting the permissions system to be more intuitive than SMF's ;)

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Any updates made over this? Any more thoughts ? I am gonna have a long list pretty soon :P

Nao 尚

I'd be oh-so-tempted to include Arantor's hack into SMF 2.0... I know, I know, 'feature-frozen'... But it's a really quick hack, it works because its functionality is small and crystal clear, and it doesn't have a performance cost. How better can you do it?

Norv, what do you think of this? We need to think of the people who'll be using v2.0x for the decades months to come until we release the following version... ;)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I would give a big party to everyone if this really important is added in the gold! ;D

Nao 尚

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Nao 尚

No, I didn't.
Read what I said: "Which I personally find elegant, whatever he might himself say."

The only thing I don't find elegant here, is how SMF can only support 2 billion posts at most in a board... That's not a lot :P

~DS~

Quote from: Nao on June 03, 2010, 01:56:44 AM
No, I didn't.
Read what I said: "Which I personally find elegant, whatever he might himself say."

The only thing I don't find elegant here, is how SMF can only support 2 billion posts at most in a board... That's not a lot :P
What about other user with cheap host? It might hurt the server...even with 2 billion posts :P ?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Nao 尚

Well, obviously if you have more than 10k posts in the first place, you don't wanna be on a cheap host... I don't see your point.

Norv

I like the feature myself, and I can see it being useful indeed.

About the solution, well, without looking at all possible effects, personally I am not fully happy with this possible implementation, tbh. To enumerate quickly (might not be an exhaustive list): it smells like a clever hack to me (yes I know not everyone will agree with this), it has effects on usability because it assumes equivalence between read and ignored (for example, ignored boards doesn't behave this way, it still shows you topics as "New" when you look at the board index, this would remove the "New" mark from ignored threads; if this is how it seems to me, meaning inconsistent, then, well, inconsistency in UI is usually bad for the user IMHO - I can be wrong on this particular user expectation however), and I think the implementation needs to be a bit more complex in reality than it was done there (to deal with: the user reading the topic by chance, or the user marking as read/unread), meaning it can also be a little more risky than it looks at first sight.
(meaning ... not for 2.0: if features should be banished from 2.0 at this point, even a bit risky features more so :))

But, if the other devs agree with it, I won't be against. That's why I will put it for discussion.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Well, maybe a few beta testers might be able to give in a hand if it is getting implemented for testing. You can either provide us with what is to be modified or add it in the SVN for the versions ahead and we'll check it out ?

Arantor

Quotethe user reading the topic by chance, or the user marking as read/unread

The first case should be deal with, since that's how it provides the Unignore option (and worked consistently for me). As for the second, if you're marking it unread, you're probably not ignoring it...

knightofdoom

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
Web Designer Sri Lanka

Norv

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Norv

This is a good candidate for a feature for next SMF versions, or at least an officially developed package.

MrPhil

(I made a similar request about six months later in topic=405323, and have requested that it be merged into this one)

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R)
Lets think of an alternative here then.
OK, if it's too much of a performance hit to "unsubscribe" a topic in other ways, how about keeping a new table of only "unsubscribes" per user. Once the list of "new replies" hits for a user is generated, could it be trimmed down at that point by throwing the "unsubscribe" table entries for that user at it? Assuming that the typical unsubscribe list wouldn't grow too long, as the "new replies" list is generated, each entry could be checked against the returned unsubscribe list and excluded if it is in it. That's one approach, anyway, and might be less costly than the other methods discussed.

Personally, all I'm looking for is to not see certain topics show up on the "new replies" page -- I don't care about changing any other SMF behavior. If that would do the job for others, fine.

MrPhil

If there isn't already a table of explicit "follow" requests, why not? That would be sensible -- when you post, you would be automatically added to it (REPLACE, in case you're already there), and could "unfollow" when you tire of a topic, or explicitly "follow" if it interests you (without making a space-wasting post). You could even have a profile switch "don't automatically follow a topic I post to...", and perhaps a limit on the number of topics you could follow without having made a post (store a count of explicit "follow" requests in your personal data). The table could have the last time you read/posted to this topic, so that it could easily eliminate everything you've seen already.

Please tell me that SMF isn't searching through all posts for all topics you posted to each time you ask for "Show new replies to your posts."

Matthew K.

Definitely has to be in the next version of SMF. Can't be too difficult to code, I could do it.

Advertisement: