Please I need Help With Guests Permission

Started by naijaecash, April 10, 2010, 11:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naijaecash

I've searched through the community for help on how to set Guest Permission such that:

Guest can view boards, threads and posts without being able to post or reply to post.

Currently, my forum www. redeemedforum.com [nofollow] does not allow guests to view any posts. It wasn't like that before I upgraded to SMF 2.0

I've gone through the Permission settings and nothing seems to correct this. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Chas Large

In Admin > Configuration > General > Allow guests to browse the forum Check this option.

In Admin > Members > Permissions > General Permissions > Guests > Modify, enable the permissions you want Guests to have.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

naijaecash

@Chas Large
Thanks for responding to my cry for help.
Quote from: Chas Large on April 10, 2010, 03:45:18 PM
In Admin > Configuration > General > Allow guests to browse the forum Check this option.

In Admin > Members > Permissions > General Permissions > Guests > Modify, enable the permissions you want Guests to have.
I've gone through the steps you stated above, but the situation has not changed a bit.

By the way, I'm using SMF 2.0 RC3 with TinyPortal v1.0 Beta 5.
I really want Guests to be able to browse the threads and post since that will encourage some to join the community.

sAce

do you have any board related mods installed ?

Chas Large

@naijaecash If you didn't allow Guests to browse the forum initially and then changed it, it could be that for each board the Guests are not allowed. Check the checkboxes in each board for Guest access.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

naijaecash

Quote from: S-Ace on April 12, 2010, 03:46:59 AM
do you have any board related mods installed ?
I had when I was using SMF 1.10. But I removed all of them because they were not compatible with SMF 2.0 when I did the upgrade.
But when I was using SMF 1.10, guest could browse the entire forum, just that they were not permitted to post or reply to post until they register.

Thanks for trying to help me out.

naijaecash

Quote from: Chas Large on April 12, 2010, 04:26:41 AM
@naijaecash If you didn't allow Guests to browse the forum initially and then changed it, it could be that for each board the Guests are not allowed. Check the checkboxes in each board for Guest access.

I've just checked the board permissions. It does not have any option for allowing guests to browse or not. However I ticked on the option of allowing guests to view additional board content. I ticked all of them, yet guests can't browse the forum.

Is there a way of resetting the entire forum permission to SMF default?

I'm ready to set up the whole forum permission all over again. I just want guest to be able to browse the forum. The present permission state will simply discourage would-be community members. And I'm suspecting that the search engine spiders may be having the same issues too.  :'(

Chas Large

Quote from: naijaecash on April 12, 2010, 06:29:53 AM
Quote from: Chas Large on April 12, 2010, 04:26:41 AM

I've just checked the board permissions. It does not have any option for allowing guests to browse or not. However I ticked on the option of allowing guests to view additional board content. I ticked all of them, yet guests can't browse the forum.
The first option here must be checked if you want Guests to browse the forum.
Quote from: Chas Large on April 10, 2010, 03:45:18 PM

Is there a way of resetting the entire forum permission to SMF default?

I'm ready to set up the whole forum permission all over again. I just want guest to be able to browse the forum. The present permission state will simply discourage would-be community members. And I'm suspecting that the search engine spiders may be having the same issues too.  :'(
Basically No. You can remove permissions from groups but there is no single reset for all permissions. Just change the permissions for each group.

naijaecash

QuoteIn Admin > Configuration > General > Allow guests to browse the forum Check this option.
This option is checked already.

I was referring to: Admin > Members > Board Permissions

I believe the permission setting is stored somewhere in the database. Is there no way one could reset it to default from there?

I love the look of SMF2.0 that was why I upgraded. But I am beginning to regret my upgrade. ;-)

Chas Large

Can you post a link to your site so I can have a look at what a Guest can/cannot see.

Leave out the http and www bits.

naijaecash

Here is the link redeemedforum.com [nofollow]

If you want I could create an account for you to enable you see the settings as an admin (if it won't be too much trouble for you)

Thanks for volunteering to help me out. I'm grateful

Chas Large

OK, I can see the forum and all the boards require registration to see.

If you're happy to create that account, please do so and PM me with the details. I'm happy to check the settings for you.

naijaecash

Thanks. I'll send you a PM with the details.  :D

Afro

I think i know what the problem is.
Its with the tinyportal configuration.

Guests can see the forum but they will need to click on "'forum" at the menu bar.
The homepage is directed to the tiny portal page.
so you can just configure it or contact me to do that for you.

naijaecash

@Afro

Thanks. But you miss the point. I want guests to be able to READ posts even when they are not registered. I know that I've not gotten the TinyPortal Frontpanel to display well, but it doesn't prevent guests from viewing the boards.

Afro

I see. it has to do with the configuration then. Maybe you can give me access to admin panel to check on it.

naijaecash

Quote from: Afro on April 12, 2010, 08:12:03 AM
I see. it has to do with the configuration then. Maybe you can give me access to admin panel to check on it.
Thanks buddy. Chas is checking the configuration presently. I'm hopeful he'll discover what my mistake is.

It's nice to be getting help this way. I'm grateful.

Afro

naijaecash

@Chas
I tried your suggestion and uninstalled TinyPortal to see if it was having any impact, but the situation remains the same. After uninstalling TinyPortal Guests still cannot view posts. Please go ahead and tell your colleague as you offered.

I still need help!

Chas Large

Advertisement: