News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Print out specific admin information

Started by Aktoraman, April 11, 2010, 09:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aktoraman

Hello everyone again. :)
Do you know how am i suppose to create a print button located next to each post, which will print out specific information,  in each print, that will be set by the administrator:-\

Arantor

What specific information do you want, exactly?

Note that a proper "print to printer" function isn't exactly reliable to work in different browsers.

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 11, 2010, 10:05:42 AM
What specific information do you want, exactly?

Note that a proper "print to printer" function isn't exactly reliable to work in different browsers.

I will expain with more details what i really want to make

In a Topic used only by the admin, would appear some posts (by the admin).
Each post near by the "Quote" button (or somewhere in the post)  will have a print button, that will only be used from the registered members (the visitors will only be allowed to see this page, not to print)
like the example page1
The print button will print out only images like the example page2 , so i imagine that it will not be a problem for different browsers.
What do you suggest to do with that?

Arantor

I don't really understand what this button is supposed to do, which is half the problem.

So are there pictures in the post (linked, or attachments?) that you want to bring up in a separate page so they can be printed out?

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 11, 2010, 11:21:07 AM
I don't really understand what this button is supposed to do, which is half the problem.

So are there pictures in the post (linked, or attachments?) that you want to bring up in a separate page so they can be printed out?

This button suppose to print out different items in each post in this topic.
Thats why in the image page1 i have also print2, print3, print4 etc. buttons.
These pictures are attachments made by me (photoshop) to give you an idea of what i want to create.
More clear now??

Arantor

Not really, no.

So you have a print button in every post. How does the computer know what to print given any post?

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 11, 2010, 12:39:33 PM
Not really, no.

So you have a print button in every post. How does the computer know what to print given any post?
Ok last explanation:

1. Admin makes a topic.
2. This topic will be locked, no one can reply.
3. This topic will have some posts created by the admin.
4. Each post of this topic will have a print button.
5. Each print button will prints something else (images) depending of the post, given by the admin.
6. Only the registered members can use the print button.
7. The visitors can view this page but they cannot use the print button.

Ok i maybe a noob through all this science put in the smf technology, but iam not asking something impossible!  :-[
I know i have to try through the php code to make something like this.... but unfortunately i dont know where to start from  :-\ 
Can you please give me a start point (where to start from)?
I have attached some example images, which i made them through photoshop, to give you exactly my all thoughts.
So you can view those example images again to understand what iam thinking about.

Thank you for your time and all your replies.

Arantor

Yeah, I'm having trouble with part 5.

How does SMF know what image goes with what post?

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 11, 2010, 06:01:58 PM
Yeah, I'm having trouble with part 5.

How does SMF know what image goes with what post?
And this is my point, admin will give the subject (images) for each print button, with some PHP programming.
At last......
Is there any way to make this project work or should i forget it?

Arantor

OK... so where does the admin set this?

How do they set it? How would you expect to set it up?

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 05:38:42 AM
OK... so where does the admin set this?

How do they set it? How would you expect to set it up?
I expect it , by modifying the print page.
Is there any way, by using mods like AddThis to fully control the post prints??

Arantor

Argh. Either you're not understanding me or I'm asking too complex a question.

You have a topic. It has 4 posts. Each post has a print button. How does SMF know to put image 1 against post 1?

Where do YOU tell it what to display because SMF can't read your mind. Whoever's going to write this for you has to know what image(s) to display for what posts.

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 10:21:56 AM
Argh. Either you're not understanding me or I'm asking too complex a question.

You have a topic. It has 4 posts. Each post has a print button. How does SMF know to put image 1 against post 1?

Where do YOU tell it what to display because SMF can't read your mind. Whoever's going to write this for you has to know what image(s) to display for what posts.
Maybe with an XML ??

Arantor

And you're going to write the XML are you?

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 04:16:14 PM
And you're going to write the XML are you?
I will try....the point is, is it possible to make a different print button for each post?

Arantor

Of course it is. I'm just trying to figure out what it's supposed to do behind the scenes once you click on it.

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 04:25:14 PM
Of course it is. I'm just trying to figure out what it's supposed to do behind the scenes once you click on it.
call some images to print out

Do you want to have an instant message contact, just to have a more directly chat and dont post all my noob stuff in this nice forum...
:-[
if you want i will pm you my messenger  :)

Arantor

I don't provide any support by PM or IM, sorry - that holds true generally even if it's paid.

I get you want to do stuff that's specific to each post. The bit I don't get is where SMF is told that post 1 has image 1, that post 2 has image 2... somebody somewhere has to input that data.

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 04:33:45 PM
I don't provide any support by PM or IM, sorry - that holds true generally even if it's paid.

I get you want to do stuff that's specific to each post. The bit I don't get is where SMF is told that post 1 has image 1, that post 2 has image 2... somebody somewhere has to input that data.
Ok sorry for the IM PM proposal...

I dont think that SMF provides this kind of modulation, is there any of MOD that will provide something like that?

Arantor

Well, since this is already a mod by definition, how do YOU want to do it?

Aktoraman

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 04:52:55 PM
Well, since this is already a mod by definition, how do YOU want to do it?
I have just told you if there is something like that.
I think that our conversation has already messed up, i suppose i will find my way to do that or something like it.
Thnanx any way for your support and your time.

Arantor

*shrug* There isn't anything like it already which is why I've been asking. Hopefully someone with more intelligence that me can figure this out for you.

Advertisement: