News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glasso

Quote from: butchs on March 05, 2011, 02:16:45 PM
The following was taken fro the Forum Firewall thread:
Quote from: Glasso on March 05, 2011, 10:43:35 AM
Butchs, this is causing some genuine googlebot requests to be blocked as I see in my webmaster logs. I can send you some trail that I had with Michael where he thought roundtripdns is not fully reliable, if you believe it is worthwhile to go deeper.

A statement by Michael may not apply with the SMF version.  My version has improved DNS tests and has been running on my site for well over 6 months with ZERO issues.  Needless to say that it is not 100%, fake bots can still get past.  As per the help icon "?" and stated before my roundtrip works fine for some sites but if your host is using Ubuntu 10.x it may not work.  In that case uncheck "Search Engine DNS".

Butchs, I am providing my feedback to you because I love your mod and appreciate your efforts. I was thinking further inputs will help you make it watertight for all of us, but I will step back if you see this as fault finding! I have stepped on enough peoples' toes today already. ;)

I looked for the "?" before I made any posts but could not find any for BB (the way I see for FF, for example). Not sure if it is just an issue for me - please see attachments 1 & 2.

My server is not Ubuntu, I have disabled Search DNS today anyway.

Please note the rare statement.  I personally have not seen the google wireless bot get blocked.  So unless you have a popular website with over 400 visitors a day there is the chance that the bot you are seeing may or may not be a fake.  This is the internet and anything can be spoofed.  Do you think the bad guys will never try to edit google?    ::)

I would not contest anything you say since you are the expert here, I can only give you an example why I thought a genuine request was blocked and you can take a call. Please see attachments 3 & 4, where I tried to pick a BB block and find the corresponding line in google webmaster log - I may be off the mark in trying to correlate thus.

I do not know what to tell you, nothing is perfect.  BB runs on many sites that get thousands of blocked visitors a day.  He uses his best judgement.  When the core author sees a major problem he will upgrade and this mod will follow.
Agreed. I see you as the two architects working hand in hand to implement this great tool, so I do not want to risk misrepresenting anything here. I rest my case here and thank you for your time and support.  8)

butchs

Quote from: Glasso on March 05, 2011, 03:12:02 PM
I have disabled Search DNS today anyway.

I have known about this for a while and was notified of the same issue many posts ago.  This feature is an option because it will not work for everybody.  There is no way for me to tell where it will and will not work.  It seems that the test did not work for you at that time.  In your case I would leave the "Search Engine DNS" option disabled.  This is also why it is disabled when the mod is installed.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

butchs

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Jesna

Hi butchs

Is there an update/news on the fail like this:

Database Failure: No database selected
Fil: /home/XXX/public_html/forum/Sources/bad-behavior/BadBehavior-SMF.php
Linie: 74

/Jakob

butchs

No one else is experiencing that error.  It looks like the mod did not install all the way and the DB was not installed.  Try installing again.  If you went manual you need to run "install_db.php".

Illori

Quote from: Jesna on March 11, 2011, 11:30:20 AM
Hi butchs

Is there an update/news on the fail like this:

Database Failure: No database selected
Fil: /home/XXX/public_html/forum/Sources/bad-behavior/BadBehavior-SMF.php
Linie: 74

/Jakob

I am getting this error as well on my forum, I did not do a manual install, but attempting to run install_db.php gives this message:

No database selected
File: ..../install_db.php
Line: 263

butchs

For some reason your DB is not set on your site.  You should check your "Settings.php" file and confirm the DB is correct.  Try running Repair Settings.php and see if you have an issue.  Then try to completely uninstall the mod and reinstall it.

Illori

the database is just fine the mod seems to work just fine as well, other then that error message.

butchs

All I know is that there was a problem with the old SMF 1.1.x (possibly beta) version where it did not use the correct $db_prefix.  This was fixed in a newer version.

If you completely uninstall the mod including deleting the DB or the "smf_settings: badbehavior_log_table" entry in phpmyadmin and reinstall the latest version that old version bug should go away.

Other than that, any thing could be causing it, including another mod/ portal, I will need to be able to somehow duplicate the error or see it in person in order to tell you what is going on.  Try the above and if it does not go away then please provide  your SMF version and a list of all your mods/ portals.

Illori

my forum is not that old to have that problem, it started with 1.1.11 and upgraded to 1.1.12-1.1.13.

currently installed mods 1. Aeva Media 1.4  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2. Internal_Links_Use_Same_Window 1.2  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3. Easy Edit Meta Data 1.1  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4. Bookmarks 2.3 [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5. Custom Profile Field Mod 3.20  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6. SMF 1.0.21 / 1.1.13 Update 1.0  [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7. Version Emulate Dropdown 1.1  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8. SMF 1.0.20 / 1.1.12 Update 1.0  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9. Who Voted What? 1.1.3  [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10. DisableTemplateEval 1.2  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11. Bad Behavior mod 1.4.2  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12. Allow Access while in Maintenance Mode 1.1  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13. Forum Firewall 1.0.8  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14. Ad Managment 2.3.6.1  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15. Downloads System 1.3.4.2  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16. Bot Buster 1.1  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17. httpBL 2.5.1  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
18. Login Detector 1.0  [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
19. SMF 1.0.21 / 1.1.13 Update 1.0  [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20. SMF 1.0.21 / 1.1.13 Update 1.0  [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

in the error message the file being called is index.php.

butchs

Quote from: Illori on March 13, 2011, 08:28:40 PM
my forum is not that old to have that problem, it started with 1.1.11 and upgraded to 1.1.12-1.1.13.

I can not help you if you do not work with me and try what I ask.

Why do you have two of there "SMF 1.0.21 / 1.1.13 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]"?  This does not look right...

Illori

the update was applied one time, but for some reason the package shows up 2 times no idea why. since the rest of the forum works fine i am not going to play with checking settings.

butchs

Illori

well then this mod is useless to have on my forum as i will get no support from the author. there goes 2 of the mods off my forum.

butchs

Do you think I have ESP or something?  How could I help you when you will not work with me?

Honestly, I created the mods for my site.  They worked so well I decided to share them.  If you do not want to use them so be it...

butchs

In reply 158 I gave him instructions.

Quote from: butchs on March 13, 2011, 08:24:57 PM
If you completely uninstall the mod including deleting the DB or the "smf_settings: badbehavior_log_table" entry in phpmyadmin and reinstall the latest version that old version bug should go away.

He refused.  Therefore, I can not help him.

Illori

first off you gave HER instructions and i replied with the needed information, you said the prefix issue was with an OLD version of smf which i dont run and never have on this site, I gave you a list of my mods that are installed and you refuse to look further into the issue. I have wasted enough of my time in this thread.

butchs

If you want to be a her then show your sex.  I do not have ESP.   :(

I was talking about the mod.  Read the posts again.

Daley

First off, thanks Simple Machines for an awesome forum software. Easy to use, easy to maintain and easy to admin. Second, thanks butchs for not only the amount of time you've put into the mod, but also the amount of time you've spent supporting it.

I've spent a few hours (well more than that actually, but don't want to admit how much!) trying to get the mod installed and working. I'm on .13 and was able to successfully upload the package, apply the mod and install. I get the "settings" page, so it *appears* as though everything's there - but when I add the test string to my UA, I don't get blocked and no matter what I've tried I don't get the string of text for BB when I view source. I've tried from a few different machines with various OS's as well as a few different IP's (from work as well as from home).

As I read through this (or possibly another) thread, I remember seeing that there are two parts to installing this - the mod itself and then an install; however, I can't seem to find the "install" part - the page linked to in the first post has the mod (which installs fine), but there's no separate install that I've been able to find.

What am I missing?

Advertisement: