Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

You are welcome.    :)

Contrary to popular belief, I thought of many scenarios for this mod...   :o ???

I should let you know that, if you turn off logging you should also turn off "Display statistics" because the statistics only works when logging is ON.  With logging OFF, "Display statistics" will no longer count the bad guy hits and will provide an incorrect lower count.

Same is true for my other mod...

If for some reason, you feel the mod is not working change your UA as described in "to test" in the first post of this thread...

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Inti31

it is not. it is working, also yesterday it was available.
my connection with HoneyPot is perfect.
my forum
my testforum

my mods - which I only made them work for 2.0 Gold:
Topics Filter v3.2 SMF 2.0 Gold
MemberNumber

butchs

Really nothing we can do.  I noticed it has been up and down lately.

Not a big deal since the mod protects you via other means...
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

butchs

ADVANCED WHITELIST HELP
In SMF you can whitelist member groups only.  Unlike httpBL, this mod will use the last known ip address of a whitelisted member and not block them if they are not logged in and their ip address has not changed.

This tutor details advanced whitelisting methods that allow you to whitelist just about anything else in "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist".  this feature is typically used to whitlist the administrators IP (optional) and for PayPal and OpenID functionality.

Inappropriate whitelisting WILL expose you to spam, or cause Bad Behavior to stop functioning entirely! DO NOT WHITELIST unless you are 100% CERTAIN that you should!

"Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist/ IP Address":

• IP address or CIDR format address ranges to be whitelisted (one per line)
The only recommended whitelist address are:
  • The administrators IP address (optional - not required)
  • Digg:
64.191.203.0/24

WARNING:  The following RFC 1918 IP addressees are standard with the core Bad Behavior package and are NOT recommended for SMF.  The reason is that SMF will not work if you have the forum set up to use a RFC 1918 IP (private IP).  SMF will only work with using an external static IP or domain name:
   10.0.0.0/8
   172.16.0.0/12
   192.168.0.0/16

"Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist/ URL":

• URL fragments beginning with the / after your web site hostname (one per line)
  • URLs are matched from the first / after the server name up to, but not including, the ? (if any). The URL to be whitelisted is a URL on YOUR site. A partial URL match is permitted, so URL whitelist entries should be as specific as possible, but no more specific than necessary. For instance,
/example        would match "/example.php" and "/example/address".

"Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist/ User Agent":

• User agent strings to be whitelisted (one per line)
  • User agents are matched by exact match only.
  • Example
Mozilla/4.0 (It's me, let me in)

WARNING: The core Bad Behavior package uses an emergency back door User Agent "Mozilla/4.0 (It's me, let me in)" that has been removed from the SMF version because it can be exploited.

O:)

EDIT:  Moved whitelist to the admin panel in version 1.5.10 - All the information that was once in whitelist.ini in now in "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist"  Obsoleted information removed.

Maxtor

since i installed this mod, paid subscriptions doesnt work. its blocked somehow. can you tell me how to fix it?

error code 403 Forbidden (from IPN History)

butchs

You posted this in another thread.  Taking a shotgun approach to get support is frowned upon here.
Quote from: maxtor on September 03, 2011, 04:38:39 AM
I have enabled paid subscriptions, and after i installed these 2 mods:

Mod Name: Bad Behavior mod
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2502

Mod Name: httpBL
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2155

paid subscriptions are failing with error code 403 Forbidden (from IPN History)

Notification URL: http://maxcheaters.com/forum/subscriptions.php

HTTP response code: 403

Delivery status: Failed

No. of retries: 16

This mod has nothing to do without outgoing traffic.  Delivery status looks like something to do with your subscription configuration.

That being said...  Not sure how subscriptions works but there is a option in this mod called "Offsite Forms".

Allow Offsite Forms (default false):
Bad Behavior normally prevents your site from receiving data posted from forms on other web sites. This prevents spammers from, e.g., using a Google cached version of your web site to send you spam. However, some web applications such as OpenID require that your site be able to receive form data in this way. If you are running OpenID, enable this option.

If you still have issues you can place the ip address of your service in the whitelist (see a few posts back).
8)

Lastly, it could be that other mod.  The SMF 2 code is based off a beta version and has little SMF 2x support.   Try enabling the Project Honeypot feature in Bad Behavior instead.   :o

Maxtor

Quote from: butchs on September 03, 2011, 08:09:03 AM

This mod has nothing to do without outgoing traffic.  Delivery status looks like something to do with your subscription configuration.
subscriptions were working 3 years now. 1.x and 2.x versions.

That being said...  Not sure how subscriptions works but there is a option in this mod called "Offsite Forms".

Allow Offsite Forms (default false):
Bad Behavior normally prevents your site from receiving data posted from forms on other web sites. This prevents spammers from, e.g., using a Google cached version of your web site to send you spam. However, some web applications such as OpenID require that your site be able to receive form data in this way. If you are running OpenID, enable this option.
let me try this and inform you.
If you still have issues you can place the ip address of your service in the whitelist (see a few posts back).
8)

Lastly, it could be that other mod.  The SMF 2 code is based off a beta version and has little SMF 2x support.   Try enabling the Project Honeypot feature in Bad Behavior instead.   :o

ip address of my service? where is that on paypal?

i dont think its httbl, this is only for spamers.

butchs

USING PAYPAL HELP
(other payment services may be similar)

Quote from: Core Engine AuthorDue to ongoing issues with various web services such as OpenID and PayPal IPN behaving in strange ways which trigger Bad Behavior, a new whitelist has been added. You may now add URLs of your site to Bad Behavior's whitelist. When a URL is added, Bad Behavior will ignore any HTTP request to that particular URL. If you need this feature, please check the bad-behavior/whitelist.inc.php file for further information. This feature was driven largely by the PayPal IPN web service, which sends POST requests with no User-Agent string, a common indicator of malicious activity. PayPal has refused to add a User-Agent string for years and has never given a reason, good or bad, for not including it. Reports from PayPal merchants who have contacted me indicate that PayPal is finally considering adding a User-Agent string to IPN requests; interested merchants should contact PayPal to express their support for this feature.

By default, Bad Behaviour blocks calls from payment services like PayPal's IPN, meaning subscriptions won't get told when a valid payment has been made. This blocking applies to any automated payment notification, as well as calls by subscriptions itself.

Until PayPal IPN clears up its POST requests it is recommended that you whitelist all IPN related addresses in this link.  Remember to place ";" before comment lines.

Here is an example of changes you can make to "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist/ IP Address":
; IP address for PayPal servers
;------------notify.paypal.com(IPN)------------

; Starting September 29, 2011 www.paypal.com will be hosted by Akamai.
;------------ipnpb.paypal.com------------

64.4.240.0/20
66.211.160.0/19
216.113.160.0/19
173.0.80.0/20

; Additional IP addresses starting Q1 2012:

It is the responsibility of the admin to insure that the addresses are up to date.

It is also advised to whitelist the php file that communicates with paypal.

For example in "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist/ URL:
/subscriptions.php
/Sources/Subscriptions-PayPal.php

ref

EDIT:  Moved whitelist to the admin panel in version 1.5.10 - All the information that was once in whitelist.ini in now in "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist"  Obsoleted information removed.

butchs

USING OpenID HELP

Offsite Forms must be checked for openID in the bad Behavior admin panel.

Quote from: Core Engine AuthorAllow Offsite Forms (default false):

The OpenID server must be added to the Bad Behavior  whitelist.

For example, make the following changes in "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist/ URL":
/Sources/Subs-OpenID.php

ref

Maxtor

after adding these lines at whitelist i got this from paypal IPN history (today)

Date/time created: 9/4/2011 08:16 PDT

Original/Resent: Original

Latest delivery attempt date/time: 9/4/2011 09:42 PDT

Notification URL: http://maxcheaters.com/forum/subscriptions.php

HTTP response code: 403

Delivery status: Retrying

No. of retries: 10

so its failed again.

butchs

It has been working for others for quite some time.  Look at the reference on the bottom. 

Your url should be:

/forum/subscriptions.php

I do not know what else to tell you...

butchs

Looks correct and the ip range is whitelisted on my 2.0 Gold test server.

Could be the forum, server or bad behavior cache not resetting.

If you have cloudflare purge it.
If you uninstall and reinstall a mod the forum disc cache will reset.
Not sure how to reset server specific cache -  You will need to consult your host or look it up.
;)

Maxtor

Quote from: butchs on September 04, 2011, 02:58:27 PM
Looks correct and the ip range is whitelisted on my 2.0 Gold test server.

Could be the forum, server or bad behavior cache not resetting.

If you have cloudflare purge it.
If you uninstall and reinstall a mod the forum disc cache will reset.
Not sure how to reset server specific cache -  You will need to consult your host or look it up.
;)

maybe conflicts with nginx?

butchs

Naw, Cloudflare uses nginx (as other tested servers) and it works with that.  CF uses ngnix as a front end caching proxy.  When changes are made the cache has to be purged.

Did you purge the cache on your server?

I believe there is be an accelerator that is keeping stuff in memory.

2) Try to copy your whitelist into the Sources/bad-behavior directory of the mod zip file and reinstall?

EDIT:  I was able to duplicate your error.  Item 2 fixed it on my test server with 64M Zend Engine v2.3.0  & XCache v1.3.0 enabled.

So much for taking off until November...

unblinkable

First time SMF user: long time phpBB user.

SMF 2.0.1 via softaculous (as I do not have time to manually manage all things interweb)

I had difficulty installing this mod. 

(1) fail

The integrated package browser would not play well.

(2) fail

browsing this sites mod listings for 2.0.1 compatible entries I copied the URL of the larger zip file to the package uploader of my SMF instance, upload, repeat for smaller file.  But SMF complained that the second file (~15kB was empty).  I tried copy/paste in reverse order (small then large zip file).  File not found complaints.

(3) win

Once I FTP'd the two files into ./Packages, returned to 'Browse packages', and clicked 'install' for BadBehavior was I permitted to proceed

Proposed installation seems good with either 'test successful' or 'file skipped' :: no failures in red listed.

"congratulations"

----

I appreciate the time you have invested in this mod but hope other people can overcome the manual requirements.

cheers

Kindred

???   Must be some odd configuration of your host.

The mod installed just fine for me, using the package manager.....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

The package was re-uploaded with a fix to the spanish translation.

Advertisement: