News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyBarnacle

My appologies if this has already been discussed, but I searched and didn't see it.  Every once in a while I get the following image in the top left corner and white space across the top of my screen.  Everything installed correctly with the theme so I'm not sure what's wrong.

The image is a link to the worm.php file.

butchs

Click on the "?" for help in the admin panel.

That is your and the honeypot spam trap and "worm.php" is the Honeypot Link you entered in the admin panel.

The mod generates several random spam traps that are used to lure in the bad guys.  Select "Limit honeypot on forum" to make the trap unnoticeable and simple.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

frytec

is this mod the same of HTTP:BL mod?

what are their differences?

wich one is better?

butchs

Come on...  This mod has project honeypot and the bad behavior engine.  It does more.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

frytec

how it does more?

HTTP:BL uses ProjectHoneyPot too..

so they use the same data base, what do you mean "BadBehavior does more"?

Kindred

This mod does BOTH the bad behavior addition PLUS the HttpBL addition.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

ctec67

Hello,

OK most of you will probably laugh at this one.. but
I am at the end of my nerves.. where will I see/find
the admin section for Bad Behavior?

I follow instructions for installation, did not give me
any error messages, but now have no admin options
in my admin section :(

Sincerely
Carola

ctec67

Guess that means it did not install :(

As I don't have that option in my admin (see picture)

butchs

You have to manually copy theme files or do a manual install for a custom theme.

for SMF 2.0 Try:
      copying "BadBehavior_Admin.template.php" to the "$themedir"
      copying "BadBehavior.english.php" to the "$languagedir"
      copying "badbehavior_bbc.gif" to the "$imagesdir/bbc"
      copying "badbehavior.css" to the "$themedir/css"

Otherwise you will need to do a manual install.

ctec67

I use 2.0.1

Copying files did not work.. so looks like
I will have to do a manual install.. and
that will just have to wait for now.. but
many thanks Butchs for your reply :)

Sincerely
Carola

butchs

New version.  Some minor fixes and an attempt to fix the SMF 1.1.x DB errors.

New 2.1.15 core... New in this release (since 2.1.13):

• A version 2.1.14 was pushed to WordPress users without notice or announcement. While the software is in release candidate status, it should have had a prior announcement and documentation for the large number of changes from 2.0. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience. Full documentation is forthcoming.
  • New IP address ranges for Google and Yahoo!, which were previously unused for crawling, have been added to Bad Behavior.
  • Once a request is determined to be from a search engine, all further checks are skipped.
  • Requests from Internet Explorer 6 which are blocked due to a long standing bug in that browser are now blocked only when Bad Behavior is in strict mode. (Users of IE6 should make plans to upgrade as soon as possible, and should have done so years ago.)
  • WordPress only: A bug in the built-in log viewer causing the wrong requests to be shown in some circumstances has been fixed.
  • WordPress only: Calls to some deprecated WordPress functions have been rewritten.
  • The URL whitelisting feature now accepts partial URL matches. This was necessary for compatibility with certain shopping cart plugins.

Remember to back-up any custom "whitelist.ini" files you may have created...

^SITS^

i installed Bad Behavior on my forum.  When I look at the files that it installed via ftp versus the files that I unpacked on my own computer, they are significantly different.  Can I use ftp to copy all the files up to the Bad Behavior Mod folder?  I do have a couple of custom themes that need to be dealt with manually, but the files that I need to do that with, did not get uploaded to my server when I did the install through the package manager.

Should I uninstall the mod before uploading the files, if that is what I am supposed to do?  If I do uninstall the mod, will it show up via the installed packages, if I just upload the files manually?

It is also asking me for an alpha key that I can't find.  I did receive a key from honey pot but it is all numbers.  Can someone tell me where this alpha key can be found?

Thanks in advance.

butchs

No.  There is a set of files for SMF 1.1.x and a different set of files for SMF 2.0.x.  The mod installs the correct files automatically.  Look at package manager for the correct files for your version of SMF.

Project honeypot Access Keys are 12-alpha characters (no numbers).   If you see this "You must enter a valid Project Honey Pot http:BL Key, which can only be exactly 12 alphabetic characters. (no numbers or symbols) Leave the field blank to disable this function" then you need to correct the "http:BL Access Key" in the admin panel.

Request an access key here.

edit 10/24- added link to access key

Malaky

One of my user got denied by BadBehavior posting in a topic he has previously posted in fine because of this reason: "POST more than two days after GET".
What does that mean?

He tried deleting cookies/emptying cache but it didn't work.
He can post in other topics fine.

I'm running SMF 2 et BadBehavior 1.5.3

Thank for any help or pointers!

butchs

Bad Behavior was developed for a content manager.  One of its features is to check for suspicious activity via BB's javascript/ cookie to test post and get in a form.

"POST more than two days after GET" means that the request dates and times in a form entry do not match. This could indicate the use of a proxy which corrupts the HTTP headers of the request, causing Bad Behavior to trigger.

As far as I know both post and get are not used in SMF unless your site is connected to some sort of offsite Form.

Possible solutions:
1.  If you are using offsite forms in your site enable that feature in your admin panel.
2.  Ask him to try to enable cookies or Javascript and see if it goes away.
3.  He may have a bad proxy.
4.  He may have a trojan on his computer.
5.  Someone may have created a post on your site that links to an offsite form.  Maybe a click scam or an information collector.  Do you know which thread it is?  If so can you you go to phpmyadmin, copy the data and attach it as a text file here?

^SITS^

Thanks butchs. :) Got the key and the mod is running just fine on my forum now.

butchs

Advertisement: