Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

booch_21

I have an odd occurrence that is my fault for not paying attention.  The last mod I installed was the latest upgrade to this mod.  Since then, I cannot install or uninstall any mods.  If my feeble memory is jogged enough,I seem to recall something at the end of installation that said that some files attributes were changed at the end and to tick a box to revert them back to ?.  But, as I looked up to see that and tick the box, the screen went away too fast and went back to the package manager.

I hope I am thinking of the right mod, but can anyone tell me what the message said and how I can get the files back to their former attributes?  Thanks for helping!

butchs

You mean this from the readme?

During installation of SMF 2.0x and or at a later date, SMF may ask to "Restore File Permissions" for "banned.inc.php".  Do not make any changes!
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

booch_21

Something also involved a checkbox at the end.  I may have the wrong mod.  Something is funky since I cannot install or uninstall anything right now.  I haven't changed anything in quite some time. 

butchs

To prevent issues this mod disables it's self when uninstalled.  You have to enable it via the check box before it is active again.  If you never enabled it then your issue most likely lies in something you did or elsewhere.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

booch_21

Well, I assumed it was active and when I tried to go into the Bad Behavior section to look, I got a white screen, the same as I get when trying to install or uninstall a mod.  Curious.

butchs

Maybe you did a double installation of a mod?  If you remember what mod you were last playing with you can try to uninstall it twice via package manager.  The first time takes a click.  To do it the second time you will have to copy the original mods zip file to the "Packages" directory via ftp before going back to package manager.  If it was installed twice it will show up on the list.

Though I am giving you a possible path forward, support for the above type of error is out of the scope of this thread.  I am sure this topic has been covered in detail elsewhere in this site.

booch_21

The last mod installed was Bad_Behavior_1.5.6.zip on 10/31/11.  There is only one copy of it.  I cannot get into the settings area of this mod to see that it is active or inactive.  I now recall that I had an issue with it when I installed it but was taken away and never returned to the issue.  That is why I am here now.

butchs

I need details to exactly what you did.  It is impossible for me to read your mind through my computer and guess your version of SMF, theme, and or anything else you have done.

The mod has been installed on thousands of forums without issue.  So my first guess is you made an error by accidently performing a double installation of the mod (read the instructions in the last post), which is human not mod error since this can be done with any mod

Now if you performed a double installation and do not have access to package manager you will have to manually uninstall the mod.

Or have a custom theme that requires manual installation or un-installation of the mod.  As stated way back the mod support is for the default theme only.  I do not have the time to create code for every custom theme.

butchs

If you have a custom theme maybe you need to copy the language files over to the theme???

butchs

Been probing the internet to see if my SMF mod is doing any good.  I found several SMF sites:

• Bad Behavior has blocked 4568 access attempts in the last 7 days.
  • Bad Behavior has blocked 1389 access attempts in the last 7 days.
  • Bad Behavior has blocked 1046 access attempts in the last 7 days.
  • Bad Behavior has blocked 3008 access attempts in the last 7 days.
  • Bad Behavior has blocked 560 access attempts in the last 7 days.

I am sure there are many more.  These high numbers are telling me I need to add a DB count reset in the next version...

I extend my thanks to all who use this mod!  I am happy to see my work has given such results!
:)

postpar

This mod LOOKS great and shoudl be the answer to my Cloudflare issues as well as spam, but -- I wasn't able to install it automatically onto SMF 2, and when I tried manual installation all worked well except I could not run install_db.php. When I try, I get "Admin priveleges required." but I have NO idea how to set them up ... any help?

butchs

It works well with Cloudflare.

You can download my unofficial Cloudflare mod here.

Try the attached install_db file.  I will delete the attachment in 1 day.

butchs

New version.  Added more security due to bots probing for vulnerabilities.  Thank you MissileShooter for pointing out some errors in the SMF log...
:)

JPAnderson

I am having some trouble with this mod. I have installed and configured Bad Behavior, but it is showing "Project Honeypot Offline"

I am fairly certain that this is not a matter of the Project Honeypot site being offline, because I have another site running httpBL that shows a good connection.  I have included my list of installed mods, to see if there may be some compatibility issues. 

I am using v1.5.7, have double check my API key, script installation, linking, and keyword, but I continue to get the error.

Any ideas?

butchs

The Project HoneyPot test offered at the Project HoneyPot site (as used in many other mods) always shows it to be online.  This is not true!  The test this mod performs is unique and is extremely accurate.  I went through great pains to insure accuracy.

At this moment "Project Honeypot Offline" is true.  I tested it at my site.  The web page may be up but the service is not proving test results.  Probably updating the database...  Give them a few hours and they will most likely be beck in service.

The beauty of Bad Behavior is that it still protects your site when Project HoneyPot is down through it's own tests.

JPAnderson

Quote from: butchs on December 19, 2011, 11:35:41 AM
The Project HoneyPot test offered at the Project HoneyPot site (as used in many other mods) always shows it to be online.  This is not true!  The test this mod performs is unique and is extremely accurate.  I went through great pains to insure accuracy.

Fascinating! Kudos for that! It's somewhat disappointing that they use an inaccurate method to test the availability of their services. butchs for president?

nadrojcote

Every time I try to install this mod my file permissions change on my home dir, causing my to get error 500 on all my sites not just this one. I know it is something to do with my host, but is there anything I could suggest they change to allow me to install this? I guess I could also install it manually.

butchs

You could always go back to cpanel's file manager and change the permissions manually. 

I have to do the same for my web site because when I install mods the permissions end up as 666 so I manually change them to something more secure.

Tibian

So I installed the mod, I had to create a temp folder to get past some chmod settings, but that was easy.

Apparently I either missed a step or I am just missing something. But I don't see the mod under any drop down menus. Where is it located in the administration?  :'(

butchs

Under admin/ Configuration.  Maybe the mod's language files are not in the language directory?

Advertisement: