Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyBarnacle

Firefox

My site is www.tallingroth.ca if you want to take a look but I've got it sorted now.  There were smaller white bars for all the case options that had a height of 1 so I changed all of those to height of 0 as well.

bigdy

I was using 1.5.13 but then upgraded to 1.5.15. 

After upgrading the plugin setting page is now displaying incorrectly.  All of the help text is above the settings page.... like it's the first thing on the line:

// Bad Behavior Start $helptxt['enable_badbehavior'] = 'The badbehavior module examines HTTP requests of visits to your web site, and any suspicious requests are logged for later review. The suspicious visit is shown an error page with instructions on how to view the site without triggering the bad behavior error message.'; $helptxt['badbehavior_verbose'] = 'Enables or disables verbose logging which includes all requests, not just failed ones. This will log ALL activity to your forum, including all permitted valid activity.

Using verbose mode is not recommended as it can significantly slow down your site; it exists to capture data from live spammers which are not being blocked. You probably want to disable verbose, since it will create a HUGE db table in a short amount of time.'; $helptxt['badbehavior_logging'] = 'Normal HTTP request logging.

Only blocked requests and a few suspicious (but permitted) requests are blocked and logged.

Disabling this feature can improve site performance on high traffic sites but may result in additional spam.

There is a "Scheduled Task" that Deletes Old Bad Behavior Log Entries greater than seven(7) days. The Scheduled Task can be adjusted. It is recommended that the old entries are deleted to protect the privacy of your members and Bad Behavior may uses the logs to detect spammers.'; $helptxt['badbehavior_strict'] = 'Strict Checking blocks more spam but may block some people.

In continues on and on until:

WARNING: Inappropriate whitelisting WILL expose you to spam, or cause Bad Behavior to stop functioning entirely! DO NOT WHITELIST unless you are 100% CERTAIN that you should.'; $helptxt['badbehavior_useragent'] = 'User agent strings to be whitelisted. Exact match only. (one per line)

Example "Mozilla/4.0 (It\'s me, let me in)"

WARNING: Inappropriate whitelisting WILL expose you to spam, or cause Bad Behavior to stop functioning entirely! DO NOT WHITELIST unless you are 100% CERTAIN that you should.'; // Bad Behavior End

I tried to uninstall the new version and revert back but to no avail. Thoughts / suggestions?

butchs

Installation is incorrect.  Read this link.

This is due to another mod not placing ?> in the correct location.  You will need to find it and manually fix it.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

bigdy

Quote from: butchs on March 26, 2013, 07:14:24 AM
Installation is incorrect.  Read this link.

This is due to another mod not placing ?> in the correct location.  You will need to find it and manually fix it.

Dang it... I hate when the exact question has already been asked / answered in the thread.  I actually searched google for
Quote// Bad Behavior Start $helptxt['enable_badbehavior'] = 'The badbehavior module examines HTTP requests of
but it didn't return any results. 

I do thank you for the help. Will be sending a $10.49 donation through in the next day or so.

Exact Steps To Fix (for my install):

Find the language file in use.  I just clicked 'uninstall' and then made note of the modified files in the language section.  The file turned out to be: /Themes/default/languages/Help.english.php

Find the closing  ?> then cut and paste it into the very last line ensuring there are no white spaces before or after.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU HELP

winterband

Did nothing on our site to slow down spammers registering.  Removed it.

Kindred

then maybe you didn't actually activate it with a honeypot? It works perfectly for me - several thousand spammers blocked
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheListener

If anyone doubts whether the mod actually works or not.

These are the stats on my forum which at this time is 11 days old.

QuoteBad Behavior has blocked 436 access attempts in the last 7 days.

overscan

Bad Behavior has blocked 12604 access attempts in the last 7 days.

My forum is 8 years old however :)

RustyBarnacle

Mine is 4 months old and I'm usually between 300-600 attempts blocked in last 7 days.

Kindred

it is pretty self explanatory. :)   What are you having problems with?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

toastedone

Kindred

if you want the httpBL/honeypot part activated, yes...   head over to project honeypot and follow their instructions to get an API key
Слaва
Украинi

toastedone

Other than that I should just install it and enable it?

Should it not show stats in the footer?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

toastedone

Kindred

did the changes get applied to your custom theme's index.template.php?
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

open the file in a text editor (notepad++ or ConText)
down near the theme_copyright line, there should be code for bad behavior
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: