News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

OK, so I just did some investigation.

As I said, the desktop browser behaves exactly as I called it, as evidenced by this from a fresh FF 25 install:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0

For some reason, Mozilla have decided that just on mobile, they're going to use a different string as mentioned on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Gecko_user_agent_string_reference#Android

But just for fun, let's say we get Michael Hampton (the author of the original Bad Behaviour module for WordPress) to fix this, and it ends up downstream here, by the time that's done, FF25 will not be the current version anyway...

butchs

I do not edit the core software unless I have to.  The core author is English and those Englishmen and Yanks do not always see eye to eye.   :o

You can contact the core author Michael Hampton.  Good luck.

But alas, the SMF version code that I added to the core is the most feature packed rendition of BB for any platform.  If you want immediate gratification simply go to the "Bad Behavior Admin" and add "Gecko/2525" to "User Agent" under "Whitelist". 

I agree with Arantor on the worthiness of whitelisting the user agent.  :'(
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

You mean the Michael Hampton who lives in Iowa City, IA as per the domain registration on both homelandstupidity.us and ioerror.us? He is generally quite agreeable if you talk to him, he was more than willing to relicence BB when I asked him about it instead of it being pure GPL.

It's true, though, Englishmen and Americans do not often see eye to eye. The English are resentful of their former colony, if nothing else.

And is it really so bad that you and I agree on something for a change?

butchs

Did he move or something?  Maybe I should call him when I get back to programming...  Email communication is not always the best.  Now it is not so long distance.

No, it is actually good we agree.  The simplest solution here is to do nothing or simply add it to the whitelist and remove it when the version changes.  The whitelist will give it a free pass before the core does it's thing.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

mikedijital

I have a user who seems to be able to log into my SMF2.0.6  forum, she can send message back and forth to me, but gets the blank white screen when she goes to post, the first time this happened i saw the entry in the denied logs, i grabbed her IP and whitelisted it... now shes still getting the white screen, but its not showing in the logs, i believe she has triied using Tapatalk, her own verizon phone browser, and her home browser, her IP never changes like some dynamic ip's do, no on else on my forum is having this issue

can you help me, if you need further info let me know, it seemed like the first time she got the kick trying to attach a jpeg picture to her post in the forum

i pmed her the log, and when i whitelisted her the log entry disapeared, ill have to wait and hope she stil has my pm with the original logs

EDIT :   here is the logs, i X'ed out some of her IP for security measures posting it here

118    108.34.XXX.XXX
Username: theCatWhoWalksThruWalls 2013-11-07 17:34:22 /deggi5/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=115;type=avatar DENIED

thanks =)

butchs

Code "17566707" is where an invalid request was received from your browser. This may be caused by a malfunctioning proxy server or browser privacy software.

The mod does not give blank screen errors.  It gives error messages, logs each message.  Only does so for the cache duration.

Go to the first post and follow the instructions to test your installation.  If you get the error message then there is nothing wrong with the mod.  Chances are your hosts firewall is causing the blank screen.  She could have an infection or your host could be over zealous.

butchs

Update.  I went to your site and tested your BB Mod on both a Windows with the latest Firefox and a Machintosh with Safari.  I saw the following error message on both machines:
QuoteError 403

We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /deggi5/ on this server.

You do not have permission to access this server.

Your technical support key is: bla bla bla...

You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.

If you are unable to fix the problem yourself, please contact the WEBMA5TER and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above.

The mod appears to be working correctly.  I doubt it is my code.  I have learned to check all files for syntax errors before posting an update...

A white screen can also be a syntax error in php code generated by a change or another mod.  Maybe you need to make yourself a test regular user and see if you can duplicate the error by making a new post and etc.  If you duplicate it, you will need to track down the source.

mikedijital

yeah i kinda figured it was on her end because no one else is getting an error, i use godaddy, who knows, i white listed all the groups, and it still didnt help., what did help weirdly enough was after i ticked the EU browser option thing, all of a sudden no more issues, which is weird because she is in massachusetts USA... who knows lol, it works now, and ive sworn by this mod everytime I use it

by the way, thank you for answering, too many mod guys here dont respond to there own mods, your one of the few stand up people around here

mikedijital

Also just for your knowledge base because i did see concern it might be mods walking over each other, this is whats installed. but everything seems ok now, but for your notes

1.    SMF 2.0.5 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC5/Final Plugin    3.9.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    SMFPacks Shoutbox    1.0.4    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    Set order for sticky topics    0.5    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    YouTube BBCode    2.6    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    Bad Behavior mod    1.5.17    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    SMF Links    3.0.3    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.    Anti Bot: Are You Human/Bot?    3.0

aLaaa

Hello, for first thank you for all the hard work with BB.
I've some issues with SSI logins from frontpage, giving out the 403 error (and then preventing the login) when BB is enabled on SMF 2.0+, is there any way to fix it?

I already searched for a fix, but the workaround provided some months ago seems to work only on SMF 1.1

Cheers!

butchs

I do not know what you are talking about.  This mod does not need a workaround!  It is impossible for me to read your mind.  You are not giving me enough information to determine what your problem is?  You need to be specific if you want help.

The mod generates 403 errors for bad visitors.  Please study the first post in this thread.

After you make changes you need to make sure you erase host, forum and/ or cloudflare cache.

aLaaa

Quote from: butchs on December 02, 2013, 08:28:27 PM
I do not know what you are talking about.  This mod does not need a workaround!  It is impossible for me to read your mind.  You are not giving me enough information to determine what your problem is?  You need to be specific if you want help.

The mod generates 403 errors for bad visitors.  Please study the first post in this thread.

After you make changes you need to make sure you erase host, forum and/ or cloudflare cache.

Basically my issue is that BB is giving out the 403 error to everyone who tries to login via SSI. Login via SMF works perfectly, just the SSI keeps giving out the 403. I Also tried enabling "Offsite Forms" with no luck. Cache already cleaned.

Forum is located at /forums and SSI used in all the top level pages. If you want to check it live, here is the website link: http://www.rcrncommunity.com/ [nofollow] (SSI is in the top right corner of every page).

Cheers!

butchs

As with OpenId I would assume you need to enable "Offsite Forms" and "whitelist" the top level SSI page(s).  Do not forget to "whitelist" all your regular members as mentioned in the first post.  Then refresh ALL cache.

I tried to login and register with no issues (please delete user temp with the fake email).   If the above does not work then please PM me a temporary username/ password.

butchs

PhuriousGeorge

Arantor

That's what we were thinking too. Fortunately, we have big pointed sticks to wield before the big hammers come out ;D

Shambles

Advertisement: