Calendar Modules for Mambo/SMF

Started by Kindred, June 02, 2005, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Well, I have decided to release to calendar modules that I made for the mambo-SMF bridge...

mod_smf_events (1.1) will display a list of the holidays, birthdays and events (each is configurable, on or off)

I am planning a feature for 1.2 which will enable you to set the time period of the display as well... but that was not implemented in 1.1.

mod_smf_showcal (1.0) will display a small calendar (current month). This is sized about right for most of the right/left-hand bars in most mambo templates. I have included a 20x20 png called showhide0.png (a blue dot, borrowed from White Rabbit's original concept) This will (by default) be shown on any date when there is an event, holiday or birthday.
As with the events module, you may turn off display of birthdays, holidays and/or events.
There is also a blank 20x20 png that will act as a palce holder and keep the table looking neat for days that don't have any events.

mousing over the dot will call up a floating cell...  for holdays, this box will disappear when you mouseout of the blue dot. For events and birthdays, since they contain links, the box will only disappear when you mouseout of the box itself.

The month name at the top links to the SMF calendar. The previous and next month links at the bottom also link to the SMF calendar.
I have not yet figured out a way to gracefully shift the contents of the module to the previous or next months... and I've been delaying long enough. So I have released it as is.

NOTE: There are a large number of lines inthe files that are currently commented out. These are features that I am working on or thinking of working on. If you edit the files, I hold you responsible for any consequences. :)

I have tested these out on two servers and with IE,Opera, Netscape and Firefox.
Firefox and Netscape have one strange issue which I am still trying to figure out. The blue box on mouseover appears at the far left of the screen rather than near the calendar module...

As always... please report any bugs or issues to me either in email or here.

the files are at my test site
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Orstio

Impressive!   :D

QuoteNOTE: There are a large number of lines inthe files that are currently commented out. These are features that I am working on or thinking of working on. If you edit the files, I hold you responsible for any consequences.

I take it you are working on more params and options?  ;)

Kindred

yup... I have some ides on expanding the definable parameters... :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jorgen

Nice Kindred!

Too bad about the Firefox issue.
I think I have to wait until this is fixed to use it on my site. Too many (including me) is using firefox.

One thing I noticed: Even if the main calendar is set to use monday as the first day of the week, your module is using sunday as the first day.

And the Events module. Could it show the actual date for the event, in addition to listing the event?

xenovanis

Very nice, Kindred, I've been waiting for something like this. Thanks for sharing.

Quote from: jorgen on June 03, 2005, 03:12:20 PM
Too bad about the Firefox issue.
I think I have to wait until this is fixed to use it on my site. Too many (including me) is using firefox.

It's not really that disturbing in Firefox, IMHO.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Kindred

yeah...   call me amero-centric.   weeks start with Sunday!   :)
lol...   Yes, I will make that a parameter for the next release...

As for the dates in the event list... you mean something like this:
Holidays:
Fathers Day (June 19), Summer Solstice (June 20)

Birthdays:
Kindred (June 10), John (June 13),
Kelly (june 27)

Events:
Next Release (June 30)

...  it seems a bit cluttered to me.
If I were to do that, I think I would have to also change the display to a bulleted list instead of just a simple listing...
Слaва
Украинi

jorgen

Well, if you could pull the sunday-or-monday-as-the-first-day-of-the-week setting from SMF, that would be even better than making your own parameter.
But anyway, thanks for putting this into the next release.

I wouldnt mind a bulleted list for events ( I wouldn't have that many events anyway). Or maybe you could keep the formatting, but open up a blue pop-up box when the mouse crosses over the event, with info on date/month of event plus maybe a link, just like you do in the calendar?

Anyway, thanks for sharing these modules. They look (mostly) great  ;D

Kindred

that's a nice idea (the pop-up) for the events list....  I think I'll try that one.
I'll do some work on the modules this week...
(and yes, I think I will take the SMF setting for first day of the week...)
Слaва
Украинi

BCCZeus

I've installed this module, and the included graphic in the specified location, but I cannot get it to show the *.png on the module itself.  This module is exactly what I'd like for my site, but I need the events to be marked.

TIA.

Kindred

BCC...   give me a site url to take a look?
Слaва
Украинi

BCCZeus

I'll publish the module again so you can take a look.  Site url: http://www.bcchardware.com

Thanks.

Kindred

you are using an older version of the module.   for SMF 1.1b3, you will need to use v1.1 of the calendar module...
Слaва
Украинi

Aravot

Is mod_smf_eventsv1.2 compatible with SMF 1.0.x using bridge 3.19a.

Kindred

no...

SMF 1.1 changed the names of some of the variables (mostly text fields) and altered the way that events in the calendar DB were handled.

So, I do not believe that either smf_eventsv1.2 of smf_showcalv1.1 will work with SMF 1.0.x at all...
Слaва
Украинi

Aravot

Kindred, in that case do you have a link to smf_eventsv1.1 cause I don't see it at your website.

Kindred

I just put it back up (I forgot that I had taken it down....)

Слaва
Украинi

Aravot

Thanks,

Kindred when I publish the module forum becomes unaccessible.

SMF 1.0.5
Mambo 4.5.2.3
Bridge 3.19a

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Aravot

Kindred

ok...  interesting.

it works fine with just events loading...   but adding holidays and/or birthdays  screws it up...   hmmm.... 

I just realized that in all my testing, I have never actually had the events module loaded on the same page as my forum...

double hmmm....

My suggestion, for the moment, is to have the events module hidden if the forum is visible...
In the meantime, I will look into it further.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: