News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

This is all dutch to me!

Started by FCC_Eddie, April 15, 2010, 05:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FCC_Eddie

Help! :(

Hi all, I'm new here and new to the world of SMF. I've never had to transfer a forum before so I'm lost before I've even started. I'm currently trying to convert my vBulletin 3.8.4 forum over to SMF 1.1.11 but I keep on hitting errors (which by the way, I do get around with a little persistence) like this one I'm stumped with.

This is the error message:
Which software are you using?
The converter did not find any conversion data files. Please check to see if the one you want is available for download at www.simplemachines.org. If it isn't, we may be able to write one for you - just ask us!
After you download it, simply upload it into the same folder as this convert.php file. If you're having any other problems with this converter, don't hesitate to look for help on our forum.

Try again

I have placed the convert.php file into my smf directory, I've even placed one in my vBulletin directory just in case - but nothing.. I'm still getting this message. I've looked at your 'converting to SMF' walkthrough and as I'm sure you're all aware, it directs users to here when they're stuck.. so here I am :D

Can someone please advise? I'm beginning to pull my hair out  >:(

Many thanks,
Eddie

Norv

Hello there!
About the problem: please check this site's Downloads > Converters, and choose the appropriate package. Unzip it, and you will see it has 2 files, not only convert.php, there's another one as well. Please upload both to your SMF folder.

On another note: it seems this topic was marked as solved. Can you please tell, did you mark it, so ... did you actually solve the problem before? :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

FCC_Eddie

Hello!

I did lol. Sorry, I was having a moment.. this is all new to me, I'm a web & graphic designer and have been for over 6 years but I've never had to transfer forum software from one to another before now. I was looking at it as something really technical, when the answer was idiot proof..

The problem was what you said, there were 2 files and only uploaded the 1  ;D

d'oh!

Norv

No worries. Unfortunately in some topics there is only convert.php attached, that may lead easily to people taking into account only that one.

Please, let us know how it goes, if you wish.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

FCC_Eddie

Hi!

I think I've got it all sorted now.. by all means have a look and see what you think.

I've altered the default theme to be a colour match to the rest of the site - hxxp:www.fordcarclub.com/forum [nonactive]

Many thanks for the help!
Eddie
Fordcarclub.com

Norv

Cheers, good to see! Looking really nice. :)

When you have time and mood, you may want to start taking a look at SMF's 2.0 version (currently at RC3 stage), with Curve theme and variations. It's much improved over the 1.1.x system, for who wants to alter their themes as they want. Just a thought.

Advertisement: