News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Unexpected error - forum down

Started by bran8464, April 18, 2010, 06:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bran8464

I just installed SMF 2.0 RC3 it has been online for two days and has been fine. Using Default theme. Number of packages installed.  It has unexpectedly gone down just now with this error message:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/fleetcom/public_html/sm2/cache/data_f05a75a542de639dd3f2bff78b8ed16a-SMF-modSettings.php  on line 1

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home/fleetcom/public_html/sm2/cache/data_f05a75a542de639dd3f2bff78b8ed16a-SMF-modSettings.php on line 1

Help please, this is now a live site with members (for testing)

CapadY

Try to remove all files from the cache directory using FTP
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

bran8464

Thank you very much it did the job. Worry is will it happen again, is it a bug?

Kays

Hi, I don't know if this is a bug. But I have seen this before. Should it happen again, could you please download and attach the offending file to a post before deleting it.

Also, from the cache folder in either the install or upgrade package, extract the index.php and .htaccess files and upload them to the cache folder in your forums. Those files should be in place in the cache folder to prevent unauthorized access.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

bran8464

It's just happened again. data file attached as requested.

Kays

Thanks, but I don't see anything obviously wrong with it.

What were the errors it gave?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

bran8464

Exactly the same error in the first instance shown on my first post.

Kays

But with a different file name though?

What are the permissions of the cache folder set at?

My Mods

bran8464

No, it was the same file. I believe this is also associated with a thread re attachments here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=376846.0

The cache file fills up fairly quickly - just emptied it again. The site seems to be gobbling up disk space.

Kays

The file you attached is xxxx-SMF- board-1.php, while the error is in  xxxx-SMF-modSetings.php. Which is the file I would like to see the next time it happens.

I don't think it's the same problem as that thread as you seem to be problem with a file either not being updated properly or corrupted.

The cache folder will fill but there shouldn't be duplication since the files in it should get updated on a regular basis

My Mods

bran8464

OK will attach xxxxmod settings.php next time. I thought I did, the numbers were the same but my ftp didn't show the full name. CHMOD on cache file is 755. Is it possible that because of shortage of disk space - as mentioned on the other thread - that the error could have been caused? I only added 5mb to disk space this time.

Kays

If you've run out of disk space that might happen. But there's no setting for the cache folder. Unless you've run out of room on your hosting plan.

How large does the cache folder get?

My Mods

bran8464

As I am a hosting plan re-seller I can change disk space at will. I suspect that might have something to do with it.

As for the cache folder I cannot total the size with my ftp - facility doesn't exist.

My other thread re attachments may hold a clue why disk space is going fast. More and bigger files in there than actual attachments.

Kays

I don't think the cache directory will get that large a couple of MB at the most.

I answered in that other thread and that could be the disk space problem. This I've seen before and shouldn't be happening. But there have been a number of changes made to how attachments are handled in RC3.

My Mods

robbie93

is there a fix for this error yet? i have a skeleton site up and the disk space has been gobbled up, also had the same error as reported by bran8464

Kays

Yes, there might be. Currently I'm re-writing my image resize mod to compensate for a number of problems with RC3. But it's not done yet. One of the things left to do is changing the png images back to jpeg.

My Mods

robbie93

ok, I'm gonna revert to 1x untill the fix is ready, the site keeps white screening because the disk space keeps getting maxed out  :P thanks for your response and good luck with the fixy.

Arantor

Out of interest what mods are on the site?

One of them wouldn't happen to be SimpleSEF would it?

robbie93

Nope I didnt have simpleSEF installed, all I had was an RC3 installed and it ate all my diskpace  :(   mods that I had at the time were ... E arcade.. arcadeworld template... welcome topic mod.. avatar at registration... tiny portal... and 100 games... thats all that was in there at the time, I didnt get any further with it because the diskspace kept on maxing out.  :o

Arantor

So explain to me then how come I run RC3 on multiple sites and don't have any such problems?

Did you check your error logs periodically?

Advertisement: