News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Clarification Re Backing up with Filezilla !!!

Started by Paul_Pauline, April 19, 2010, 07:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_Pauline

Hi Guyz.

As many of us use Filezilla as an ftp client, I think we need a definative answer as to how to back up files safely  O:)

Here's a link to an article regarding this subject  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.0

This would suggest that not all files should be saved in the same way  :-\

However, I read an article by Arantor, where I believe he said you could safely back up "ALL" files using the "BINARY" setting in Filezilla  ???

My head is now totally mashed trying to decide which way to go !

I personally back up my database via my hosts control panel as well, but i'm sure a lot of people out there are putting their trust in Filezilla  :o
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

sawz

isn't filezilla an ftp program?
i haven't read that article but i think the best method to backup your files would be using the backup feature in your website control panel. if your using a cpanel host, there is a backup link in there somewhere.
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

Paul_Pauline

Hi,

Yup, it's an ftp programme, but a lot of people seem to use it to back up their website, with the potential to corrupt attachment files in particular  :(
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

sawz

Quote from: Paul_Pauline on April 19, 2010, 09:15:20 AM
Hi,

Yup, it's an ftp programme, but a lot of people seem to use it to back up their website, with the potential to corrupt attachment files in particular  :(

right, i'm going to download a backup using an ftp program 1 file at a time, risking the chance there is a minor interruption resulting in a partial download of a file when i can use the backup area of my cpanel and get a complete backup in one tenth of the time.

anyone who downloads backups one file at a time using an ftp program is asking for problems.

same with uploading, you upload the compressed package, extract it using the cpanel file manager and all is well.

thats my thought on the subject.

MrPhil

It should be safe to FTP down files in binary mode, so long as you are careful to FTP them back up in binary mode too. You just don't want to transfer them one way in binary and the other in ASCII.

If you want to edit files on your PC, not all editors will handle "binary" transferred files correctly. Editors like Notepad (and Wordpad?) don't know how to handle "newline" end-of-line markers, while editors like ViM do handle them correctly. I have all my files transferred in binary, and use ViM for PC-based editing without any problem.

Paul_Pauline

Hi Mr Phil.

Thanks for that !

But slightly at a loss as to how a toilet cleaning product edits files  :o

~DS~

Ok I want to clarify this too. Basically we are suppose to backup in binary mode, am I correct?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

a10

Have used filezilla for a while, and yes, must be binary. Spotted it 1st time use, as file sizes changed from server to pc. Have restored many files from backups, also edited, always worked fine.

I've never unchecked (or even known about) the "treat files without extension as ASCII" setting, and have restored 1000's of attachments successfully, several times, after server crashes.

Do some tests, backup a few files, rename them on the server side, then transfer the backups to the server to actually see in real life that all works well.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

Paul_Pauline

Hi, I would have thought those two boxes at the bottom should be unchecked  :-\

But i'm by no means sure.

I backup via my hosts control panel also.

~DS~

sawz

Paul_Pauline

Yeah, that's what I always did.

But then people start recommending different things  :-\

So now I have it set at "Binary" with the bottom two boxes unchecked.

Which is why I originally posted this topic, far cleverer people than myself can't seem to agree, so what chance have us numpties got  :o

~DS~

Bump. I want clarify on this:
QuoteSo now I have it set at "Binary" with the bottom two boxes unchecked.

razor_edge

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 28, 2010, 03:35:11 PM
Bump. I want clarify on this:
QuoteSo now I have it set at "Binary" with the bottom two boxes unchecked.
Used filezilla for years without problems. Maybe the default is binary but it's worked well for me for years.

Advertisement: