Rewriting the Customization Site

Started by SlammedDime, April 20, 2010, 04:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlammedDime

Even before I became the customize team lead, I had an interest in seeing the customization being updated for modern times, streamlined, and made more user friendly not only to the team, but most importantly, to you guys, the users.

When I became the team lead, I had the perfect opportunity to implement my vision of the site and add a whole lot of features to make it really draw some attention and make mod development and support easier.  A few months back, I really got into learning about PHP OOP style of doing things, as well as MVC architectures.  Armed with some new knowledge, I dove into writing my own PHP MVC Framework which has now become the basis of the new customization site.  This will also be tightly integrated with SMF as well (and may even be released as a mod itself, who knows).

Let's highlight some of the features the new site will bring to SM.org:

• Totally new design for all pages of the Customization Site
  • Essentially all current features of the current customization site
  • Customization Changelog
  • Customization Issue (bug) Tracker
  • - Public or Private status, with issues that can also be declared as public or private
  • FAQ pages for customizations
  • Ratings system for customizations
  • XML/RSS Feeds for Customizations
  • Customization Tutorials
  • Customization Requests
  •     - Allow community members to take on requests
  •     - Allow requesters to manage their request
  •     - Status/Progress bars
  • Package Parser that is able to show the contents in a raw format of all files in a Customization (Similar to how the Package Manager does it)
  • Package Maker
  • Community Customizer implementation - Allow the community to assist in reviewing unapproved modifications
  • Support for customizations will be given on the Customization site, rather than on the forum
  • Language editor for customizations - ability to automatically package these as well
  • Automated checking of customization packages for approval purposes
  • Versions does not work with, versions works with, versions untested with
  • Advanced 'Report as unsafe' feature
  • Mod transfers will no longer require customization team approval/assistance

This is a very long list of things to implement, and the entire site is being rewritten from scratch, so it will take some time, and you won't likely see all of these features at once, but rolled out in waves as I build and test modules with the team.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

cme1st2302

SlammedDime,
  Sounds like a very well thought out plan.  I think a lot of the features you suggested will be very helpful for the site overall.  Can't wait to see the progress.

Chris
SMF Version: 1.1.11
SimplePortal Version: 2.3.2

Admin

He who waits for perfect conditions sees nothing!!
If you need help adding a button or tab PM me!!

Cassiel

Wow, that is certainly a huge list of things SD. :)

Personally, I can't wait to see some of these things be implemented. Any advancement in the site is a wonderful thing indeed. It was kind of a few months back since the first post about having a new Cust site, but this just reaffirms that good things are on there way. I hope that the first little glance at this is released soon for the community to marvel at.

I'm not sure how many other people have said it, but thank for putting the work in revamping the Customization Site, SlammedDime. It's appreciated by one person to say the least. :)

Arantor

Looking great, SlammedDime.

Hopefully it'll be appreciated by users (since as cool as it is I won't be using it)

Fustrate

Good to see someone continuing with my plans (and adding to them) after I left.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

JBlaze

Nice to see that work is being done. Can't wait to see it put into action!
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

flapjack

IBIWISI!

but seriously - I thank the Lord someone is taking care of it :) cheers!

live627

Liam.

Alot of highly promising features. I suspect that they'll take a while to work with making, but I look forward to it! Also, if this was released as a mod, that would just be epic, but I doubt it will since it seems qutie specific.

bloc

Very ambitious plans, and to some extent also a bit unrealistic? Bugtracker for customisations, package maker, language editor..all these warrant dedicated time just by themselves. I would have settled for *just* the other ones - and foremost: cleaning it up both code and theme-wise.

But good luck with everything, lets hope it becomes of.

SlammedDime

Very ambitious indeed Bloc, however that is the reason it will not all happen at once.  It will be a great test of my coding skills and knowledge and I am looking forward to the challenge.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Fustrate

Quote from: SlammedDime on April 22, 2010, 02:36:40 PMIt will be a great test of my coding skills and knowledge and I am looking forward to the challenge.

It's just going to be you making it? Why not delegate the creation of some portions to other Customize team members?
Steven Hoffman

Arantor

Fustrate

The same would then apply to this - shouldn't every Customize team member, including the leader, be focused on pulling their weight in regards to mod/theme approvals? Those are definitely more important than a new Customization Site.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea when I was the team leader (and groundup/Josh was working on a core for it), and I like it now. I'm just worried that the daily tasks are being relegated to the "regular" team members even while those team members can't possibly keep up, as it sounds like in the post you linked to.
Steven Hoffman

Arantor

Oh, I agree that everyone needs to balance it out - part of my problem was that I couldn't get the cust repo to work locally, gave it about a day, gave up, asked (and waited) for anyone to help me get it set up, which never happened, and went back to mod approvals until I burned myself out on that score.

I agree everyone who can should help out as best they are able - circumstances depending. The fact that this week Runic and JBlaze have been helping out suggests the team can't keep up with current duties without worrying about any expansion. Expansion is good, but I get the distinct impression that Dime is the main person doing both site dev and mod approval, and trying to balance that out.

* Arantor isn't pointing fingers, just trying to call it how he sees it.

Fustrate

As a side note, yes, my last post was amazingly hypocritical. I think the last time I really did a mod approval without grumbling about it for hours was about 2 months before I became the team leader.

:P
Steven Hoffman

Arantor

You didn't grumble about reviewing one mod of mine in November. :P

Fustrate

Probably because I didn't approve any mods in November!

Unless I was amazingly bored and forgot how agonizing mod approval is...
Steven Hoffman

Arantor

You reviewed it and asked me to change a few things stylistically - it was the ssi_multiBoardNews mod.

Advertisement: