News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Is there a threaded view?

Started by lampcms.com, February 25, 2010, 09:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampcms.com

Does SMF have support for threaded view, I mean a post can have a parent_id so that you can post reply to another reply and it will appear directly under the parent message instead of just as last reply in thread view?

Basically I want to know does SMF have a field like parent_message_id in a table that stores posts?

Kindred

basically... no.

Threaded view is outdated and outmoded these days (for the last 5 years, at least) and very few, if any forums do that anymore.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rob.chevalier

> Threaded view is outdated and outmoded these days (for the last 5 years, at least) and very few, if any forums do that anymore.

Wow, I guess I missed the vote on this.

Strange though, Hacker News, Reddit, Google Wave, MyBB, and many other huge sites and software products DO support threaded discussions and user comments, AND it's a great feature which allow users to contextually organize posts within a long thread.

I personally believe the concept of 'threaded discussions' is far from outdated/outmoded.   Just because most of the other forums do not support it, that doesn't imply it's a bad idea.   

It is a shame that SMF doesn't not even provide the option.  In fact, this is the one missing feature that keeps me using MyBB, even though I'd prefer to switch to SMF for other reasons (such as support for external authentication).

Just my 2 cents.

Rob Chevalier

Petruchio

I wanted to voice support for a threaded view, also.  I read several threads on the topic, and this was the most recent.

It's a matter of taste, and need.  Threaded would suit both for me.  It was mentioned in a discussion from a few years ago that there had been very few requests for it; that's perhaps the best argument against bothering with it.  Please add mine to the list, though.

Kindred

Google wave is dead.

it is more than a matter of taste.

I work with websites for industry and retail for my RL job...   threaded mode *IS* outdated and outmoded.

(and, as a side note: my previous company, with websites for 58 publications, was looking at using myBB, but went with SMF instead because the threaded view was not considered important)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pss7

I do not agree with the outdatedargument.

worpress just started to support threaded comments, facebook adds them to there social connect plugin.

every major german IT newsportal (golem.de heise.) and so on) uses threaded views.

it is just a much smarter way to get more specific content, it is more seo friendly (if you do it the right way)

maybe someone can give us a money quote, how much such a mod will cost.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=444337.0 may be a starting point

Illori

pss7 please stop bumping all the topics related to this, also please dont bump old topics.

Advertisement: