Allow or not allow signatures?

Started by yankeestonk, April 20, 2010, 09:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Disallow != deny

Remember, we're talking about a permission that is by default applicable to regular members. If you disallow in regular members you have to re-enable it in all the post count groups.

Here it's quicker to leave it enabled since it's only one group you don't want it for, then just use deny to forcibly block it.

It gets more complex when you have multiple groups that need it denied especially if there are other groups that otherwise allow it.

yankeestonk

It's a tricky little app. ! I enabled it, then when you go to the deny/allow etc area everything is marked "X". Which if I recall is disallow, not deny. Don't really know wht that means exactly. Do I have to change every "X" to "A" even though by default the permission are allowed? Or do I just go to that one group, "newbie" and mark that one permission (advanced permissions or whatever it was.) and mark that "deny" and leave all the others the same?

Don't want to mess up the functionality for everyone as since I'm the moderator I'll be able to still do everything and won't know if others can or can't.

Last thing, if I'm correct in the first paragraph above, and go back and mark the newbies to "deny", then change the signatures from "30 characters" say back to 300, do newbies get any kind of message stating that they can add a signature after 5 posts?

I'll bet you're sorry your responded to me in the first place huh?

Thanks

Arantor

You go to that one group and mark it D.

No, they don't get a message, they just find they can do it.

Reason it works the way it does, every user is implicitly in Regular Members - from which permissions are normally derived - unless you give them a different primary group (that is visible in the forum itself). So even though it's X (disallow) for post count groups, the user still has permission (A) in Regular Members.

~DS~

The best way to deny permission is from within the postcount group IF you rely on postcount based no MATTER what membergroup you are. And you are right it's the quickest way. In other word setting permission should be left by default in the membergroups. If you don't want want them to use signatures and must require a posts of 10+ then it MUST be denied from the newbie group (postcount) instead of membergroup. Did I get all that correctly?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Arantor

~DS~

I have to said...I agreed with yankeestonk, it's a bit tricky and confusing at first unless they know what they are doing. I should make a tutorial...
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

Arantor

Permissions in general are kind of confusing, especially when you mix in deny permissions, or (1.1.x) board specific permissions or (2.0) board permission profiles.

A tutorial would be good :)

yankeestonk

Ok, thanks to your help I did it! Could not have figured that out before. I added a child board to my "introduce yourself to the forum" area with a list of benefit of being a member, and that after 5 posts you can add signatures etc. Might help with guests registering and getting more to post up.

THANKS VERY MUCH! Very cool of you to take the time to help me.

Ken

http://golftipsforum.isuckatgolf.net/

rd

Quoteisuckatgolf.net/

It's not nice to have almost nude pics in the frontpage of a website... What if I was in a public place O.o

yankeestonk

Tell that to Sports Illustrated! And what pic was "almost nude on the homepage"?

Ensiferous

The flash film has some scantily clad ladies. Best front page EVER! Seriously, though. I do not see the issue here, you're on a page clearly about golf, if someone sees the ladies and calls you out on it you look at them and ask if they fail to see the topic of the site and whether they're idiots or not. Problem solved. Now more scantily clad ladies please.
My Latest Blog Post: Debugging Nginx Errors

DoctorMalboro

yankeestonk

Hey Ensiferous. (pretty sure I mangled that spelling.), Thanks man!

I don't think the guy was serious about haveing a problem with the girls on the homepage, do you think so?

The real girls are in The 19th Hole Lounge! (or the caddygirls pages)
Ken

wynnyelle

no problem Yankeestonk :) One great way to at least partly solve the spam issue would probably be only allowing members to view sigs. It would discourage people only coming to advertise if they knew the search engines would never find it ;D

~DS~

alex30

Enable stronger capitcha protection on registration to avoid spammers. Ban or delete if this continues.

mamaof2boys

I allow signatures fully but have it very clearly stated in our Community Guidelines that links/advertising, etc in signatures is a privilege for those with a certain post count. 

Obvious spammers are deleted if they somehow make it through activation, but if a newbie seems semi-legit but has a link in their siggie, we delete the siggie and send a nice PM inviting them to establish a solid membership before trying any nonsense like that again.

Advertisement: