I cannot access settings on manage boards and categories

Started by visitnepal, April 25, 2010, 02:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visitnepal

HI All,

I have just installed SMF 2.0 and I was trying to make different discussion groups for my forums. But unfortunately I cannot access the settings of manage boards and categories tab.

How to add several categories on the home page ?

THank you.

Arantor

Admin > Forum > Boards

What happens if you try to go there in the admin panel?

visitnepal

I did the same I went to admin panel and then forums and then boards and went to new category but it is not showing up.

Then when I click on the settings then it doesn't display anything.

When I run the error check it says everything is fine. Is it some problem with installation or something ?

Thanks

Arantor

Define "not showing up"

What exactly do you press and what exactly do you get?

visitnepal

What I meant by not showing up is the screen is blank whenever i hit settings.

So far I have made 4 categories from my control panel but only one shows up on the screen.

The address of my forum is http://www.nepal-kathmandu.com/forum

As you can see there is only one category i.e general category but in my admin panel i have 4 different categories named as :
Trekking informations
Safety and Travel Informations
General Category
Introduce yourself

Out of these 4 categories, only general categories has options such as permissions , move and modify.

Out of 3 options: permissions , move and modify the screen is blank whenever I click on permissions and modify.

When I hit add board also the screen is blank. I don't know what's going on .

HOpe you understood me now.

Thanks .

Waiting for reply asap.

Arantor

visitnepal

I have installed SMF gallery lite, BB Code (bounce), and Ad Management.

Arantor

Did you get any errors on install for any of them?

If you try uninstalling them for the moment does it then work?

visitnepal

I got a error while uninstalling SMLite. It says like this:

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

visitnepal

I could only uninstall ad management. Two of those mods i couldn't uninstall.

visitnepal

Now I have uninstalled all the mods .... Those whom I couldn't uninstall i deleted those from the ftp. I don't know whether that does any problem to my forum.

~DS~

Quote from: visitnepal on April 25, 2010, 03:10:16 PM
Now I have uninstalled all the mods .... Those whom I couldn't uninstall i deleted those from the ftp. I don't know whether that does any problem to my forum.
It does not work that way...
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Arantor

Just deleting from FTP doesn't actually uninstall the mod, it just deletes the file for it, nothing more.

What I'd suggest right now is to use the 2.0 RC3 Large Upgrade package, download that to your computer, unpack it, then upload every file over the top of your forum. This will keep your forum's posts/threads/members but reset all the files to default which should get you up and running.

visitnepal

Thanks i will try. But I thought there was some minor problem.

Arantor

If it's going to white screen, there's something causing PHP to issue a fatal error, usually a mod misapplied somehow. Easiest way to fix that is to use fresh files that are known to work.

visitnepal

HI Arnator,

I did upload the files and its working perfectly.

The problem I am having is to change the name of forum. Its written My Community and I want to change the name of the forum. How do I do that ? I remember I did it last time but I can't do it now.

Thanks.

Arantor

MATTEK

Quote from: Arantor on April 25, 2010, 03:13:02 PM
Just deleting from FTP doesn't actually uninstall the mod, it just deletes the file for it, nothing more.

Question about that - If you delete from FTP does the option to uninstall still remain in the Admin CP?
SMF 2.0.1

Like Comics, Books, Movies or T.V. Shows? Read about them here!!

Arantor

Nope. It removes the file which contains the uninstall instructions.

visitnepal

I have another question.

I cannot reply to the thread being admin. How can I reply ?
Thanks.

JasonO

Sorry, but you need to be a bit more specific when you say it doesn't work. What happens? What do you see once you try replying? On what page do you realise you can't reply? As in, is there no reply button? Theres a blank page when submitting the post? Info like that will help. The chances are the permissions aren't set properly.

Thanks.

visitnepal

Sorry for the incomplete explanation.

I have figured out the problem and its working. Thank you guys.

Advertisement: