Sorry for such an idiotic questio, but...

Started by tokeNmove, April 27, 2010, 07:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokeNmove

... Where is the option for me to start my own community forum? Ive been searching this board for near 2hrs now, and I can't find a 'Start Forum' option anywhere.

Please help,

ty

bullbreedluverz

there isnt a start forum option - you need to download (from download link at top right of this forum) the software and install it on a server/hosting - you need to either find paid hosting or a free host and sign up to their service and then install the software

if what you want is just a simple set up without the need to find your own hosting then try smfforfree which is basically sign up & set up option for running an smf forum

tokeNmove

bullbreedluverz

no problem  - smfforfree is run by a well respected member from this site so your in good hands there

rd

The downside of smfforfree is that it doesn't allow moe installs and uses 1.1.x

But it should be okay for a beginner like you but if you need anything more advance for free, you can drop me a PM.

robbie93

Quote from: Royalduke on April 27, 2010, 07:26:51 PM

But it should be okay for a beginner like you but if you need anything more advance for free, you can drop me a PM.

LOL what is wrong with 1x ?

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: robbie93 on April 27, 2010, 07:42:59 PM
Quote from: Royalduke on April 27, 2010, 07:26:51 PM

LOL what is wrong with 1x ?

Well, some people (like me) doesn't like 1x...

rd

1x stinks and that's why even this offcial site runs with 2x

also, in my experience 1x has more spam and bot sign ups and also most new mods don't support 1x.

robbie93

SMF 1x is a very good script, some say even better than SMF 2x and although I myself like SMF2, at the moment it is full of bugs being as it is in beta this is one of many ... http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=376931.msg2594258#msg2594258 I had SMF2 for a few days then reverted back to SMF1x because of the amount of issues I had with SMF2, and until it is gold I will stay with SMF 1x. As for new mods, I dont see any for SMF2 that are not for 1x that I would want. As for SMF running 2 on this site, well of course they will run 2 because that is the way forward, but untill it is gold it isnt stable. But that doesnt mean that 1x is no good lmao.

JBlaze

1.1.x is not crap. The 1.1 branch is almost 6 years old, and thus why there are more spam signups and attacks and whatnot. The only reason why people think 1.1.x is poorly made is because it is outdated. It was actually very well written when it was first released. That's also why it doesn't have as many features as 2.0.

Yes 2.0 is buggy, but that's because it is not a stable release. It is still in the RC stage. So if you do not know how to handle some small bugs, or how to run a forum for that matter, use 1.1.11.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

robbie93

Jb, I wouldnt call this a small bug http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=376931.msg2594258#msg2594258
there is no fix for this atm and if you have a limited disk space it will gobble it up in a jif ;D it isnt about not knowing how to run a forum either, I have been running SMF sites for three years now, but when you come across bugs like this, that not even senior support can give a fix for at this moment, then its not time to move to SMF2.

JBlaze

Quote from: robbie93 on April 27, 2010, 09:20:31 PM
Jb, I wouldnt call this a small bug http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=376931.msg2594258#msg2594258
there is no fix for this atm and if you have a limited disk space it will gobble it up in a jif ;D it isnt about not knowing how to run a forum either, I have been running SMF sites for three years now, but when you come across bugs like this, that not even senior support can give a fix for at this moment, then its not time to move to SMF2.

Thus the reason it's not final ;)
Jason Clemons

rd

SMF 2.0 is so good that only people with experience don't care about the bugs ;)

Some theme makers dropped 1.1.x and most new mods are made for 2.0... Some mod authors warn people not to ask for a downgrade.

1.1.x might be stable but 2.0 is the best! This makes me wanna write an article that compares the two >.<

* Royalduke goes ahead and opens office 2007

robbie93

Quote from: Royalduke on April 27, 2010, 09:36:14 PM
SMF 2.0 is so good that only people with experience don't care about the bugs ;)

Some theme makers dropped 1.1.x and most new mods are made for 2.0... Some mod authors warn people not to ask for a downgrade.

1.1.x might be stable but 2.0 is the best! This makes me wanna write an article that compares the two >.<

* Royalduke goes ahead and opens office 2007

Are you saying that Kays has no experience? or any of the support team here because atm that bug cannot be fixed and SMF2 has been out for how long? If you don't know what you are talking about I would suggest that you don't comment and give newbies who have never run a forum advice. Mod authors are starting at SMF2 because that's the future of the software, but atm it isn't in the slightest bit stable, and DOESNT mean that 1x is of no use, so please get your facts right before you comment. I am runing an SMF1x forum, are you saying that that site stinks?

JBlaze

Mod and Theme authors don't develop for 1.1.x anymore because 2.0 is the future of SMF. Once 2.0 is final, 1.1.x will be obsolete. It was the same way for 1.0 when 1.1 was released.

Quote from: Royalduke on April 27, 2010, 09:36:14 PM
Umm... not true at all. It's the people with the experience and know-how that care about the bugs. They are the ones who know how to handle bugs, and also make temporary patches for said bugs.
Jason Clemons

rd

Wow, this is a forum I have a right to an opinion. I have made sites for personal use, clans, and even for a business. All of them wanted 2.0, even though it was an RC version. 

I've used the 1.1.X series and I hated it because users had to manually install mods to custom themes and things of that sort.

Also, Kays and the rest are for regular support, not for patches, I thought you knew that o.O Also, please try not to add weight.

Theme makers and mod creators like 2.0 because it's more easy to customize.

Does your site suck? Well, that will depend on content, members, pageviews, etc.

Also, you said it yourself, 1.1.x is outdated. To me, that bug isn't a major issue and I can deal with it... I do have backups done 4 times a day and they are kept for a week, for me and other clients. 

robbie93

Quote from: Royalduke on April 27, 2010, 09:50:04 PM
Wow, this is a forum I have a right to an opinion. I have made sites for personal use, clans, and even for a business. All of them wanted 2.0, even though it was an RC version. 

I've used the 1.1.X series and I hated it because users had to manually install mods to custom themes and things of that sort.

Also, Kays and the rest are for regular support, not for patches, I thought you knew that o.O Also, please try not to add weight.

Theme makers and mod creators like 2.0 because it's more easy to customize.

Does your site suck? Well, that will depend on content, members, pageviews, etc.

Also, you said it yourself, 1.1.x is outdated. To me, that bug isn't a major issue and I can deal with it... I do have backups done 4 times a day and they are kept for a week, for me and other clients. 

No RD it doesnt depend on content, members, pageviews, etc.

If you can deal with that bug then post a fix on it. That bug goggles up disk space, how would a back up fix that LOL.

rd

It does too.

To an outsider it depends 100% on the content, active users, and looks.

To another webmaster, it depends on pageviews, members, etc.

To the creator of the site, it might look the best no matter how other people think.

I am stating facts here, not ranting. 

robbie93

We are waiting for your fix to the problem that you said was no problem ;D

JBlaze

How about we don't hijack this topic, eh?
Jason Clemons

rd

Robbie, it's most likely the diskspace because I have never faced that kind of problem. You should upgrade your host, with SMF you should at least have 500 MB of diskspace in my opinion. I ran a SMF forum with 500 MB of storage and loads of bandwidth ;) of course it was on a dedicated server.

OP, go with smfforfree if just wanna try out SMF or don't want to pay for hosting.

robbie93

Rd the bug has nothing to do with my host, it is a bug in the SMF sofware itself,  ;D an SMF forum is basically 30mb this bug maxes out diskpace of 500 mbs, ( I am currently on 1500 mb )  and when your disk space gets maxed you get a Parse error: on your page instead of your site  >:(  , you have never faced the problem yet you say you can fix it LOL, Ok.

rd

I have never faced it and never will.

If I do face it then I will of course fix the problem and if needed I will restore backup on a bigger hosting resource.

Also, there are positives and negatives but the positives of 2.0 outweigh the negatives and seriosly the negatives are easily aviodable ;) if worse comes to worse then restore is always an option. 

Note: I don't even understand that bug clearly, is there an official announcement? Bug tracker?

Maybe you are just unlucky?

robbie93

Quote from: Royalduke on April 27, 2010, 10:27:00 PM
I have never faced it and never will.

If I do face it then I will of course fix the problem and if needed I will restore backup on a bigger hosting resource.

Easy Fix:
Get bigger spec package.

Also, there are positives and negatives but the positives of 2.0 outweigh the negatives and seriosly the negatives are easily fixed ;)

You havent got a clue what you are talking about... didnt you read the link to the post I gave you, haha, it isnt about getting more disk space from your host LOL.  PS: I just checked out your specs and anyone wanting to install a fresh SMF2 board with you who runs into that bug, would be wiped out in a couple of hours. LOL. You dont understand it? I thought you said it was an easy fix?  ;D

rd

???

I just read the post before this post and edited my other post. I do t understand the topic, is this on the bug tracker, any official announcements?

Please understand that all site on my server get backed up 4 times a day and that is kept for a week. Also note that I run a SMF support site. 

Arantor

Tell you one thing, it's a heckuva lot easier to write big mods on 2.0 than it is to write for 1.1. SimpleDesk would have taken a lot longer and been buggier writing for 1.1.x in the first instance.

I like it how you're saying there's a bug in 2.0 when it's a bug in a mod, not in 2.0 itself.

* Arantor avoids the obvious is obvious comment for now.

Paracelsus

SMF 1.1.x may be outdated and harder to manipulate compared to newer stuff, but it is one of the most SOLID products ever built when it comes to message board software. And that is the reason why so many of us still use it and feel pleased and proud about it.

rd

Quote from: Paracelsus on April 28, 2010, 06:57:36 PM
SMF 1.1.x may be outdated and harder to manipulate compared to newer stuff, but it is one of the most SOLID products ever built when it comes to message board software. And that is the reason why so many of us still use it and feel pleased and proud about it.

It's free :D and it's downloaded.

But you are right, it is the best, right next to phpBB and vB

All the others suck in my opinion, especially IPB (All their themes look the same).

JBlaze

Quote from: Royalduke on April 28, 2010, 07:07:06 PM
All the others suck in my opinion, especially IPB (All their themes look the same).

IPB is a solid software. I use it on my main site (http://www.gamingbrotherhood.com) and I can tell you right now that all their themes do not look the same. IPB also has some very important features for social forums.
Jason Clemons

robbie93

Quote from: JBlaze on April 29, 2010, 01:14:26 PM

IPB is a solid software. I use it on my main site (http://www.gamingbrotherhood.com) and I can tell you right now that all their themes do not look the same. IPB also has some very important features for social forums.

I agree, IPB has some very nice themes, the one you use, and also the many that are available from skin box, I think IPB is a very good software, and there new version IPB 3 is very, very nice :)  the arcade isn't available yet though for it :(

rd

DoctorMalboro

No offense, but, that theme isn't that beatiful, and, IPB themes aren't WOW as VB, SMF or even PHPBB themes... (Mods are good though...)

JBlaze

Quote from: robbie93 on April 29, 2010, 08:16:57 PM

I agree, IPB has some very nice themes, the one you use, and also the many that are available from skin box, I think IPB is a very good software, and there new version IPB 3 is very, very nice :)  the arcade isn't available yet though for it :(

iArcade RC1 is available for 3.0.5. I use it on my site.

Also, 3.1 is currently in beta, which means stable release will be out inside 2 months (IPB dev cycle is flawless)
Jason Clemons

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Newer versions of scripts are brought with new features and simplicity (well normally), and that's the reason peole think that old things are crap.

But why don't you understand the baseline, without the 1.x branch codes, you would have never seen the 2.x branch. If a starter user has to go through manual edits in 1.x, then he's learning something in well advance for the 2.x. It won't be any easier to the user if the basic understanding of the functions are not clear from 1.x..

Some extra work is always better than taking things fof granted.

Advertisement: