SimpleAds 1.0 Beta

Started by [SiNaN], April 28, 2010, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[SiNaN]

It has been quite a long time since I released a public mod. So here's is an advertisement management mod, SimpleAds.

I'm not going to describe all the awesome features it has, but will attach a good amount of screenshots and the beta package.

I never needed and used such a mod. So I would be happy to get some feedback on the features and possible improvements, especially on the ad positions.

Remember that this is a beta and use it at your own risk!

Unfortunately this forum won't let me attach the images or embed them. So you'll have to live with these links:

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zn7k2r.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/29wkcg6.png
http://i39.tinypic.com/33ljlsi.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/6pz5hs.png
http://i42.tinypic.com/358rn2s.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/5d461d.png

Edit: This mod supports only SMF 2.0 versions.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

SN

Marcus Forsberg

Looking cool. Will be sure to try it out :)

sAce

Ohh wow, Ad mgmt mod has a big competition now,

i am definitely moving to this one,

one question can this track the clicks on ad-sense and other similar programs ?

[SiNaN]

Thanks. I have replaced the package because of a minor issue with status toggle. (status image didn't get updated)

Quote from: S-Ace on April 28, 2010, 01:09:00 PM
one question can this track the clicks on ad-sense and other similar programs ?

If it's embedding the links with JavaScript (I guess that's how Ad Sense works) it can't track the click count. I'm still considering other ways to track clicks though. Current one should work except for that.

Arantor

That's sexy, SiNaN.

@S-Ace - I doubt it, since from the mod's side it's just a chunk of JS. It's up to the ad provider really to track clicks (which AdSense does, from experience)

Liam.

Agreed, smexi ;)
And more mod competition? Awesome ;)

If the ads could be in a curved-style (as in curved, not straight), then it'd be a tad better in my opinion... or if there was an option.

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Arantor on April 28, 2010, 01:17:35 PM
That's sexy, SiNaN.

Quote from: Liam. on April 28, 2010, 01:20:50 PM
Agreed, smexi ;)

You mean the mod or my avatar? :P

Quote from: Liam. on April 28, 2010, 01:20:50 PM
If the ads could be in a curved-style (as in curved, not straight), then it'd be a tad better in my opinion... or if there was an option.

Although it won't apply it itself (like in SimplePortal style options) it will help you with the proper HTML with Body Templates field (attached screenshot). Since it uses HTML as the content, you can do whatever you like with it. I guess (hope) that would give more flexibility.

sAce

Quote from: Arantor on April 28, 2010, 01:17:35 PM
That's sexy, SiNaN.

@S-Ace - I doubt it, since from the mod's side it's just a chunk of JS. It's up to the ad provider really to track clicks (which AdSense does, from experience)

yeah, i thought so.
i just wish it would, really would be great if didn't have to login to ad sense to check the stats.
but still a great feature for direct advert controls.

Arantor

@ SiNaN: The mod. Finally nice to see a real competitor to Ad Management.

@ S-Ace: You could ask Google about some integration system; ultimately it's a click on their code that you won't be able to track yourself without some real messing about with their code.

Liam.

Curved style I think would be the option I'd be after ;)
The mod is smexi, your avatar is just anime :/

How does the mod fair with Portal side-blocks? Is there a way to have padding on it from the main content area (atm it's just slapped onto the side, but then again, its still a Beta)...

MultiformeIngegno

Really really nice!! :)
For feedback on ad positions, I'd like to have an option to add it also to the welcome area (near avatar and unread replies/posts links)! :)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Cassiel

Quote from: [SiNaN] on April 28, 2010, 01:26:44 PM
You mean the mod or my avatar? :P

Both. ;)

I can't really tell from the pictures. But is there going to be an included option to toggle the permission for a membergroup to have access to the Ad section?

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Liam. on April 28, 2010, 02:05:30 PM
Curved style I think would be the option I'd be after ;)

See the margin.png attachment. As I said, since it uses HTML, you can do whatever you want with it.

How does the mod fair with Portal side-blocks?

It gets the outer position and works fine with SimplePortal. See the attached image portal.png. Other portal mods uses pretty much the same method as SimplePortal to add portal layers, so they should be fine as well.

Is there a way to have padding on it from the main content area (atm it's just slapped onto the side, but then again, its still a Beta)...

See the margin.png image. The code in the first screenshot was this:

<div class="information">
Testing the SimpleAds!
</div>

I just added a right margin:

<div class="information" style="margin-right: 1em;">
Testing the SimpleAds!
</div>

It's that simple.

Quote from: MultiformeIngegno on April 28, 2010, 02:59:00 PM
For feedback on ad positions, I'd like to have an option to add it also to the welcome area (near avatar and unread replies/posts links)! :)

I thought of that as well. But there is no space for ad at the header in Curve on 1024x768 resolution. See the header.png image. I know some themes have space for that. But since Curve doesn't I won't include it by default. You can however, add a custom position.

Quote from: Cassiel on April 28, 2010, 06:21:21 PM
I can't really tell from the pictures. But is there going to be an included option to toggle the permission for a membergroup to have access to the Ad section?

By "Ad section" you mean managing the ads and positions? Nope, there is no permission for that. I'm not sure if I want to add it. Would it be useful?

Cassiel

Quote from: [SiNaN] on April 29, 2010, 10:44:36 AM
Quote from: Cassiel on April 28, 2010, 06:21:21 PM

By "Ad section" you mean managing the ads and positions? Nope, there is no permission for that. I'm not sure if I want to add it. Would it be useful?

Well I was mainly considering if a forum had a Marketing department like SMF has on here. In this case the membergroup the Marketer was in would have the available permissions to edit the adds and add their own in, while those who are not in the same department can't touch it.

Though considering it's kind of a niche idea, and the coding to add in permissions for this is kind of annoying to do, I can understand why you'd want to leave this option out. :)

[SiNaN]

So did anyone find any issues?

grafitus

Quote from: [SiNaN] on May 03, 2010, 07:27:46 AM
Me. :D I had already reported it to you... I can't use AJAX. Actually it works, but active/disable image doesn't change.

Liam.

Well I've tested and can't see any obvious issues straight off, so now it's time to throw myself at the code ;) I'll say if I see anything...

[SiNaN]

Quote from: grafitus on May 03, 2010, 07:44:34 AM
Quote from: [SiNaN] on May 03, 2010, 07:27:46 AM
Me. :D I had already reported it to you... I can't use AJAX. Actually it works, but active/disable image doesn't change.

Did you re-download the package after this post? That should have already been fixed.

bloc

Very nice, Sinan. :) I particularly like the use of layers and not-very-hard-to-add modifications for templates. I'll certainly add support for it in my themes (those that change Boardindex,Messageindex and Display)

Antes

grafitus

Quote from: [SiNaN] on May 03, 2010, 08:41:31 AM
Did you re-download the package after this post? That should have already been fixed.
Mmm. I've downloaded at its first day. :)

[SiNaN]

Thanks!

Quote from: Bloc on May 03, 2010, 08:48:44 AM
I particularly like the use of layers and not-very-hard-to-add modifications for templates. I'll certainly add support for it in my themes (those that change Boardindex,Messageindex and Display)

Yeah, I tried to avoid what has been happening with Ad Management mod. I have tested this with a dozen of popular themes at Theme Site and none of them failed with these installation instructions.

Liam.

Okay, when I tested on my local server (WAMP, Windows 7), it seemed to work fine. However, unusually, when I tested it on a clean install of SMF 2.0 RC3 on my live Linux (Cent OS) server, it didn't work.

It showed the links to the admin section of the mod, in the admin panel, however when I went there, it didn't display anything in the content (Edit/Add Ads, Credits, Maintanence, Reports, etc. (but it did show that menu...).

KensonPlays

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/Ads.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/Admin.php on line 868

was going to try it... no failed tests...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Liam. on May 06, 2010, 04:23:33 PM
Okay, when I tested on my local server (WAMP, Windows 7), it seemed to work fine. However, unusually, when I tested it on a clean install of SMF 2.0 RC3 on my live Linux (Cent OS) server, it didn't work.

It showed the links to the admin section of the mod, in the admin panel, however when I went there, it didn't display anything in the content (Edit/Add Ads, Credits, Maintanence, Reports, etc. (but it did show that menu...).

I have never seen that happenning with my tests. I have doubts it's related to the mod, but I could check it if you attached your Admin.php file.

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 11, 2010, 12:54:34 AM
Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/Ads.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/k/c/m/kcm93/html/Sources/Admin.php on line 868

was going to try it... no failed tests...

Where did you download the mod? Error says here is a code in Admin.php trying to include Ads.php file but the file is not there. This mod does not have that file and it doesn't require such a file anywhere. You may still have the remnants of the Ad Management mod on your forum.

KensonPlays

It says failed at uninstall but when I went through with it (like I usually do lol) it was successful...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Kcmartz on May 11, 2010, 01:29:22 AM
It says failed at uninstall but when I went through with it (like I usually do lol) it was successful...

That can sometimes be dangerous and probably the cause here. You need to revert the second edit for that mod in Admin.php. This mod also uses the area name 'ads' so it won't work with that code there.

KensonPlays

Should I attach Admin.php? class is about to start, and I would in third period redo it. or do the tarball and reupload from "before SMF Ads"?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

[SiNaN]

You just need to get the manual installation instructions on the Mod Site for that mod you uninstalled and make sure all edits are cleaned properly.

sAce

Suggestions :
- no ads should display in admin areas by default ( i mean admin chk box is nor required )
- why sub menu ? why not just

Simple ads
- add list
- add ad

[SiNaN]

Quote from: ѕв (๏̯͡๏) on May 12, 2010, 05:11:18 AM
- no ads should display in admin areas by default ( i mean admin chk box is nor required )

It maybe useful sometimes. I would rather keep that behavior.

Quote from: ѕв (๏̯͡๏) on May 12, 2010, 05:11:18 AM
- why sub menu ? why not just

Because of the way areas are handled. It maybe

SimpleAds
+ Ads
  + Ad List
  + Add Ad
+ Positions
  + Position List
  + Add Position

in the future though.

KensonPlays

Sinan, ill haveta do that tomorrow... I mean I have ssh access for my site on my phone, but navigating betwen "connectbot" and "dolphin browser" would be a pain and battery drainer...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Advertisement: