mp3 download site

Started by daked, May 01, 2010, 03:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daked

hi there i want to start an mp3 download site,here is my plan

get any smf(1.1.11 or 2.0rc3)
install aeva media gallery http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=977
install download system   http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=992
install any portal
and thats it,so my question is:
which out of smf 1.1.11 and 2.0rc3 is best for such a site,
  can aeva media gallery download its files(if yes then i dont need download system),if no
  can download system preview its files(if yes then i dont need aeva),if no, will setting a rule that after a file has been uploaded to gellery upload also to download system make such a site successful?
  which portal will be best for such a site(so recent uploads and most downloaded can be shown on hompage)
8)

kat

Question: These mp3 files. What kind are they?

You might run foul of copyright laws.

Another thing... If you're going to store mp3 files on-site, be aware that they can take-up a LOT of space on the server.

Arantor

Basically if they're not produced by you and you don't have legal permission to distribute them, don't even go there, because it only takes a single complaint to your host with an appropriate legal notice to get your site shut down.

daked

well it will be strictly songs from my country and i currently have 5gig of webspace for this site
  and back to my question
Quotewhich out of smf 1.1.11 and 2.0rc3 is best for such a site,
  can aeva media gallery download its files(if yes then i dont need download system),if no
  can download system preview its files(if yes then i dont need aeva),if no, will setting a rule that after a file has been uploaded to gellery upload also to download system make such a site successful?
  which portal will be best for such a site(so recent uploads and most downloaded can be shown on hompage)
8)

JBlaze

Quote from: daked on May 01, 2010, 04:35:56 PM
well it will be strictly songs from my country and i currently have 5gig of webspace for this site
  and back to my question

Heh... my iPod has more space than your server ;)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

daked

just for the mean time,how many songs can fill up 4 gig

daked

and which portal is best for smf 1.1.11

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

daked

then i think i can last a month or two withou my space being filled up,
beside adsense might have made me at least $10 by then ;D

rd

daked

daked

Ngn Media is the site,up and running for 1 and a half months now

Kill Em All

Do you have permission from the artists to redistribute those songs?

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

daked

??? ??? ??? ??? ???   ::) ::) ::) ::)  peeps come upload and download,so i guess whoever uploads has right  ::) ::) ::)  ??? ??? ??? ???

Kill Em All

If it is not their own music or if they do not have permission from the original artist, that is illegal, and most webhosts will suspend your account if found. I can go to your website and upload a whole album of Frank Sinatra, that doesn't mean I have permission to upload it....

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

rd

Quote from: daked on June 16, 2010, 02:40:36 PM
??? ??? ??? ??? ???   ::) ::) ::) ::)  peeps come upload and download,so i guess whoever uploads has right  ::) ::) ::)  ??? ??? ??? ???

You are allowing it and the you as the admin seem to approve it seeing that you yourself posted some of those illegal music...

http://www.shoutcastblog.com/2010/02/24/nigerians-declare-war-on-music-piracy/

You are contributing to that and I don't think SMF supports illegal sites like this... At least that's what Arantor said :)

El maestro

Actually, If you've ever read (not that you are expected to) the DMCA and/or the OCILLA, you should know the american law DOES allow for a site to distribute copyright infringing material as long as it is not hosted on the same server as the site.

This means, YES a website can provide a link to a copyright infringing material as long as that person uses an OSP (Online Storage Provider) such as hxxp:usershare.net [nonactive], hxxp:www.vaultshare.com [nonactive], hxxp:mediafire.com [nonactive], etc...

You obviously do not need permission to post such links because that is the whole point... however it is NOT illegal YET. If a multinational such as Warner catches you providing links to copyright infringing material they own... they are allowed to politely ask you to remove said content from your site.

As much as multinationals like to threat and what not, they have NO legal recourse against a website who provides free links to music such as hxxp:www.2dopeboyz.com [nonactive]. If you operate a website who provides music through external links and you have a hint of moral values and don't want to harm anybody, you will accept to remove any content if requested by its owner.

I hope this helps.

If you wonder how credible is my saying, well... I have been in this business for a long time and I know the DMCA by heart. I know what I am talking about... if you don't believe or are unsure of any of this, I suggest you read the DMCA and the OCILLA to fully understand the law and what it actually says.

rd

You do realize that that's shady?

Check TOS of many hosting services, now they forbid linking to copyrighted stuff.

Anyways, this could also be reported to host.

DoctorMalboro

Better get a good lawyer if you're gonna allow any kind of music...

El maestro

Like I said, read the DMCA.

Section 512 of the dmca strictly says the OSP cannot be liable for the contents a user uploads.

In order to be protected by the DMCA you NEED to put it in your TOS that you do not allow that kind of files.

However, an OSP cannot see everything that is posted, therefore cannot stop activity of that kind.

You don't need a lawyer for this.

the only thing an OSP can do IF requested by the right authorities is supply them with the website where the links are published. However, the authorities WILL hit a dead end (THE LOOP HOLE) when they contact their host OR the webmaster because they will say "I do not host anything on my site"

that is all that is to know about that.

You may call it shady but this is the reality.... it is one of the many "loopholes" in the law

rd

Is that why LimeWire LLC is getting sued?

Is that why pirate bay shutdown?

Is that why that P2P seed site shutdown?

If you host is "real" meaning cares about their business and follows rules of the country then they will shut down your site or suspend it if it gets reported.

You wanna give our some URLs?

daked

:o :o :o :o :o :o but the site is just 2months old,i cant use the domain for something else and i cant just shut it down like that losing money,help,i promise to get rid of it before september,no one should report please i'm too young for jail   :'( :'( :'( :'(

rd

Quote from: daked on June 18, 2010, 01:10:48 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o but the site is just 2months old,i cant use the domain for something else and i cant just shut it down like that losing money,help,i promise to get rid of it before september,no one should report please i'm too young for jail   :'( :'( :'( :'(

You won't be jailed, your site will be removed and you will be fined by recoed labels if they find out :) Guess what, it doesn't matter if your young, here in America, this kind of thing happened to teenagers and their parents have to pay the thousands of dollars... There is even a South Park episode.

El maestro

pirate bay shutdown? please.

demonoid shut down? please...

Again...read the DMCA ...Stop reading tabloids and repeating headlines.

if demonoid, piratebay, hxxp:2dopeboyz.com [nonactive], hxxp:hotnewhiphop.com [nonactive], hxxp:wegotitfirst.com [nonactive], hxxp:coast2coastmixtapes.com [nonactive], hxxp:flowhot.com [nonactive] and MANY MORE are still running... it's because IT IS NOT ILLEGAL!

YES multinationals WILL SUE... but do they actually will? NO, they do not!
The only thing they achieve is to threat uneducated people into believing this is illegal and the u.s law will punish them.

The industry needs to collapse to allow it's rebirth. How the hell do you think B.o.B, Gucci Mane and all the other artists make a name for themselves? using music blogs who publish mainstream music to shine some light on the upcoming artists.

Multinationals (distributors) like Warner and UMG are the industry's main disease time will take care of that.

In the meantime, the law is very clear... as long as you don't HOST said files on your OWN server, you are LEGAL. why? BECAUSE THE INTERNET CANNOT BE STOPPED! the ONLY person you is liable for a song online is the FIRST person who actually hacked into the label's computers and STOLE the files.

If you want to have a legal mp3 download site, you need to host your files elsewhere. on hxxp:mediafire.com [nonactive], hxxp:vaultshare.com [nonactive], hxxp:hulkshare.com [nonactive] etc... it is the only way the law WILL protect you.

There has NEVER been a case in the u.s where a website owner has been held liable for providing links to copyrighted material.

You might want to read this and set your thing straight:
hxxp:www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000512----000-.html [nonactive]

QuoteWhen website owners receive a takedown notice it is in their interest not to challenge it, even if it is not clear if infringement is taking place, because if the potentially infringing content is taken down the website will not be held liable

Ultimately if you want something easier to read:
hxxp:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCILLA [nonactive]

Kill Em All

Locked. You two can discuss the technicalities in PMs if you want.

Advertisement: