News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Converting from Proboards?

Started by fadedangel416, May 09, 2010, 11:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadedangel416

I'm not quite sure where to post this, so I'm sorry if it's not in the right place. =/ I came across SMF yesterday, and I'd love to try it out... but I have a lot of questions. :P

Firstly, is there a way to convert a proboards forum to SMF? Does the SMF admincp have a way to ban users? With proboards we have several options for banning... IP ban, email ban, and username ban... are those options available with SMF? Also, are there any mods to have sidetables or to shrink the width of the forum tables a bit, so that they don't stretch the whole page? Can I add extra scripts to the forum? And, is it possible to enable guest-posting on some boards but not others?

I'm a total noob when it comes to html/coding. I took a course in it last year, so I know the basics of html and a teeeny tiny bit of javascript... would that be enough to run a SMF forum, or is it something for someone with more advanced knowledge of html/coding?

Sorry for all the questions! >.>

Norv

Our current official converters require database access, so there isn't any for proboards.
However, there is another converter, a crawler of pages, which is available: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=188741.0

Sorry for overquoting, it's easier to answer you this way ... :
Quote from: fadedangel416 on May 09, 2010, 11:41:45 AM
Does the SMF admincp have a way to ban users? With proboards we have several options for banning... IP ban, email ban, and username ban... are those options available with SMF?
Of course. All of them.
Also, are there any mods to have sidetables or to shrink the width of the forum tables a bit, so that they don't stretch the whole page?
You can alter the design by installing predefined themes (http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/), or by manually editing the files of the forum. (you can see in the Graphics and Templates board other discussions about how to alter looks manually)

Can I add extra scripts to the forum?
I suppose modifications (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/), or extra-pages of your own? Yes.

And, is it possible to enable guest-posting on some boards but not others?
Yes, permissions can be fine-tuned for each board, so forbidden for some (with permissions profiles on SMF 2.0).

I'm a total noob when it comes to html/coding. I took a course in it last year, so I know the basics of html and a teeeny tiny bit of javascript... would that be enough to run a SMF forum, or is it something for someone with more advanced knowledge of html/coding?
I think it's fine. :)
If you need to edit manually the files, you'll have php files to edit. Generally the instructions are clear though.

No need to be sorry for questions! And welcome around!
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

wynnyelle

My advice: get out of Proboards before they get any worse. I converted my rpg forum from Proboards to SMF a month and a half ago. The week after Easter. I couldn't be happier. Warning though: Proboards considers this a breach of their TOS, which I didn't know until they had up and deleted our old board. However, depending on your situation that may or may not matter to you whether the old board becomes deleted.

Advertisement: