News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Double space in wysiwyg editor

Started by aperseghin, May 09, 2010, 08:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aperseghin

I am running PHP5 , mysql, Linux (Fedora 12) apache 2.2

I have a fresh install of SMF 2.0 RC3 (webinstalled)

The issue is that when a post has single spaced lines like this...

line 1

line 2

line 3

It ends up getting posted like this

line 1

line 2

line 3

Ahy thoughts.. I searched this forum for "double spaces" and "Extra lines" but did not find my answer

aperseghin

Outrack

Bumping this as I'm having the exact same problem on my forum (2.0 RC3) and can't find a way to disable it - while posts made using Quick Reply and the normal text editor appear fine, those made through the WYSIWYG editor leave an additional space between each paragraph. I've recently switched from using vBulletin to SMF so I'm not entirely familiar with the platform or if there's a setting somewhere to disable it, but it's driving me up the wall as I have to edit just about every post I make.

Is anyone else having this problem, and is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: Hm... I made this post using the WYSIWYG editor and it added two extra lines between the paragraphs, so I guess that rules out a buggy installation :p

serlokjolms

Hello, i have this problem too, in www.reparandopc.com smf 2.0 RC5

Can anyone help, please?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'd advice you all to update, and let us know if the issue persist in 2.0 Final.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Si6776

The line spacing in WYSIWYG on 2.0 Final is still unfathomable.  If I paste something copied from another source, often, the line spacing is removed completely, so I just get a block of text, which I then have to edit the line spaces back into.  Other times, as has been said above, I get two line spaces instead of the required one.  I still think the WYSIWYG editor needs some work, and it would also be nice to have an easy option to turn it off and on when posting, perhaps a tickbox in the Additional Options?

Illori

Si6776

Outrack

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 13, 2011, 05:39:47 AM
I'd advice you all to update, and let us know if the issue persist in 2.0 Final.

It's still present. Maybe I'm alone here, but I think the SMF team need to place this high up on their list of issues to address - a comfortable user interface plays a crucial role in providing users with an enjoyable experience, and my community was left having to chose either between an editor that distorts their messages or losing basic functionality such as hotkeys for bold/italic text (I eventually just disabled the entire thing after it kept breaking posts with moderately complicated font styling).

Absolutely love SMF and find it a significant improvement over other forum software available, but this really diminishes the experience.

minhajnyc

I'm having the same issue. Using SMF 2.0.1 currently and this happens only when using the plain text editor. Is there a mod that fixes this? Any solutions please?

Thanks in advance.

ziycon

I'm unable to recreate this in 2.0.1, can you give steps to reproduce it and what your server is running in terms of web server PHP and versions etc.?

AmericanIntel

Same thing here on a fresh install. Whether I copy/paste or type from scratch I get a double space. Using the Inferno theme.

CentOS 5.7
Apache 2.2.14   
MySQL 5.0.67
Php 5.2.12

ziycon

Can you tell us what browser/browser version and operating system your using to browse the forums?

Have you tried using a different browser and cleared out your browser cache. Also upgrading to the latest release is recommended.

nfh

Is there any news about this issue? I have the latest SMF 2.x forum installed and I have the exact same problem with double lines.

I'm pretty sure this isn't related to the browser, as the problem lies on extra <br> tags that are inserted between lines.

MrPhil

Just to clarify, is this happening in the post editor, the post display, or both? In the editor (an HTML TEXTAREA), line breaks should be the byte(s) you get when you press the Enter key (possibly a newline or a carriage-return line-feed or just a carriage return, depending on the OS and browser). SMF should call nl2br() to convert these "hard" end of lines into <br> tags.

The editor should automatically wrap around to a new line (soft line break) when there isn't enough space for a word. Some people, especially those raised in the days of typewriters, habitually hit the Enter key at the end of the line, which will cause a hard line break there (no wrapping by the browser display). You're not doing that, are you? Even if you are, it still should be only a single <br>. Even worse are the boobs who are so ingrained with typewriter habits that they hyphenate a word at the end of the line! Then the browser puts the line back together with a mysterious "-" in the middle of a word.

The only way you should see <br><br> at the end of a line is if you're hitting Enter twice (out of habit) or perhaps you're cutting and pasting from a document that sticks in something like a linefeed or extra carriage-return to mark the end of a paragraph. If the problem occurs with pasted text, see if you can carefully examine the text in a file (using an editor or text-to-hex converter) to see if it is sticking odd codes into the text to mark the end of a paragraph or a hard line break. If it happens even when you're typing text (and you're very careful to hit Enter, and only once, only when you want a hard line break to force the next text to start at the left margin), then I dunno. Does it happen on different browsers? Does it happen on any browser and any PC and only on your forum?

What mods do you have installed? Maybe one of them is doing something funky. Does it happen if you edit with both WYSIWYG mode on and off? I wonder if your browser is returning carriage-return line-feed (x0D0A) and nl2br() is recognizing it as two separate hard end-of-lines? If it came back as x0A0D (reversed), it might not be recognized as a single hard end-of-line, but as two. What kind of PC and OS and browser are you using? What PHP level?

xIsabel38

I am posting here even though this is old because I am having the same issue with the forum automatically posting as double spaces. The only way I was able to stop it from doing this was by checking the "Disable WYSIWYG" in the Admin Panel- Post Settings.

Ivan F.

shubhamz

I'm facing the same issue on the SMF 2.0.2.
If I select the entire post editor, re-select a font and a font-size, this problem is resolved.

Strange.

Outrack

Apologies for bumping an old topic, but the double-spacing issue is still an issue as of SMF 2.0.4 and it's extremely disappointing having to disable the editor outright - I switched from vBulletin to SMF ages ago and I still have users complaining about distorted posts when using the editor, or the lack of hotkeys when I've disabled it out of frustration. User comfort when posting is extremely important so I really hope this issue gets more attention in future, and I'll try to provide as much useful info as I can.

Quote from: ziycon on November 15, 2011, 03:21:10 AM
Can you tell us what browser/browser version and operating system your using to browse the forums?

Have you tried using a different browser and cleared out your browser cache. Also upgrading to the latest release is recommended.

The text below is being typed in the latest build of Chrome (27.0.1453.94 m) - I'll edit in a screenshot of the text as it appears in the WYSIWYG editor to show the differences between the two.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Donec vel tellus at lacus elementum aliquet.

Phasellus sed lectus sem, ac accumsan quam.

EDIT: Here's a screencap of the text exactly as I entered it using the WYSIWYG editor; as you can see, there's a significant difference between the two and the editor's definitely adding in additional <br> tags. The problem happens less frequently in Firefox but is also present there, and you can replicate the issue on any clean installation of SMF.

Kindred

the wysiwyg editor is a mess.
Don't bother with it - it is getting replaced in 2.1 anyway.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

marco.panichi

I have the same issue

System: SMF 2.0.6
Browser: Chrome 30.0.1599

On Firefox 25.0 the problem doesn't occur!

fredisdead

Version 2.07 and problem still exists.

Chrome = yes
Firefox = no

Members complaining.

Thanks

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on May 28, 2013, 12:09:23 PM
the wysiwyg editor is a mess.
Don't bother with it - it is getting replaced in 2.1 anyway.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

fredisdead

ooooooooooops ....  My bad!

I missed the point one.

Thanks,
Fred

Advertisement: