[Private Beta] [Demo] SMF Multiforum System

Started by gamesmad, May 11, 2010, 03:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamesmad

SMF Multiforum System Official Development Thread

Active development site: http://www.forumscommunity.com

What does it do?

SMF Multiforum System allows you to convert your SMF powered forum into a fully featured SMF hosting service, where your users will easily be able to set up and run their own forums without them feeling like they are being restricted at all.  All core SMF features are available to users, including the ability to install any mods and themes that you select.

History

Way back in 2006 I worked on a project that I named SMF MFS, however at the time my knowledge of PHP was limited, and the mod never got properly finished.  As a result of this and other reasons it was never accepted onto the official mod site.  The 3 old threads about SMF MFS have currently received over 4500 views, and the mod (compatible with SMF 1.0.7!) has been downloaded from SMFHacks.com over 3500 times.

I am now far more proficient in PHP, and seeing as there is still not a free multiforum available for SMF, I am going to make one, and this time it's going to be much better and more fully featured :)

Feature List

Here is a comprehensive list of the planned features for SMF Multiforum System.  If you have a feature request, please feel free to make a post and your idea will certainly be considered.

Installation

• Simple install via the package manager.
  • No code required, everything works out of the box on the default theme.

Features for created forums

• Users can register a forum using a simple form that is integrated into SMF. [Done]
  • They have the option of selecting different versions.  For example 1.1.11 or 2.0 RC3. [Done]
  • Use any theme that the multiforum owner allows them to.
  • Use (or not use) any modifications that the multiforum owner allows them to.
  • Administrators of created forums have 100% control over their forum, but 0% access to anything they shouldn't be changing.

Features for multiforum owners

• Enable/Disable forum creation.
  • Reserve specific forum names. [Done]
  • List created forums. [Done]
  • Delete created forums. [Done]
  • Suspend/Unsuspend created forums. [Done]
  • Full support for vbgamer45's Ad Management Mod to display ads on created forums.
  • Option to save server space by not allowing users to install their own mods.
  • Setup unlimited themes ready for users to install/use on their forum.
  • Setup unlimited mods ready for users to install on their forum.

Feature Requests

Thought of something that SMF Multiforum System should be able to do?  Feel free to make a post and your idea will certainly be considered.

Change Log

11/5/2010

Flexible method for creating new forums sorted out.
Method for creating new set of forum files.
Method for setting up new forum database.

12/5/10

Test implementation of creating new forum files.
SQL file for setting up new forum database.
Everything working automatically through create.php.
create.php working to create 1.1.11 and RC3 boards.
First version of new.php

13/5/10

First version Sources/Multiforum.php
First version Themes/default/Multiforum.template.php
Copies files, edits Settings.php, copies database.
Create page setup.

14/5/10

Checks for existing forums with same name.
Makes fully working 1.1.11 and 2.0 RC3 forums.
Users have access to stuff they shouldn't...

3/6/10

Working with several different forum types.
Ability to reserve forum names.
Admin can list forums.
And delete forums.
And suspend/unsuspend forums.
Started looking for Beta testers.

Error Log

17/5/10 - Undefined index id and type every time Create tab is clicked.
17/5/10 - Unlink of .htaccess is missing a forward slash.
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

MultiformeIngegno

Mmmh.. interesting!
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

sangwe11

Integrate it with Gallery and download mods ?

I did this for an old site I had, running SMF 1. whatever is was.

I hooked it into all the Gallery and Download features, to create seperate sections for each site (:

Liam.

I LOVE you for this ;) A multiforum system for free would probably put out some sites like SMFForFree, etcetera - although their memberbases and reputation will keep them going ;)

However, one feature I've not seen in ANY multiforum system is the capability to work with both SMF 1.1.X and 2.0, and on signup the user can select which version they want to use. I highly recommend adding this feature in sooner or later. I can't wait to see it anyways ;) Good luck!

vbgamer45

Its a bad idea if anything you should go paid.

Most of these free services do not last and end up leaving users upset when the host goes down. A free host requires a lot of planning, work, and resources to survive.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Liam.

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 11, 2010, 11:23:58 AM
Its a bad idea if anything you should go paid.

Most of these free services do not last and end up leaving users upset when the host goes down. A free host requires a lot of planning, work, and resources to survive.

*vbgamer says, trying to protect SMFForFree and his multiforum system :P

If most free services die, then that's just a lesson for the webmaster really, I don't see why that should be taken away.

vbgamer45

It's more of giving the people access to stuff that will cause more harm then good. When I started a host I read a lot, had a server. You can't run this off a webhosting account.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Liam.

True, I suppose. Then again - my point still stands that it's an experience for a webmaster, and if it doesn't work, that's the webmasters fault for not researching...

gamesmad

@sangwe11 It will be compatible with ALL mods.

@vb I am aware of SMFForFree.com, and it's a great site, just want you to know this mod is not aimed to cause any fall in the popularity of your site.  To be honest I doubt it will as it is so established.  If you have any features that you specifically do NOT want me to implement because they are unique to SMFForFree.com then please tell me.  That applies to vb only, obviously.

I don't think this should really be a debate about whether the mod should be free or paid.  It's going to be free.  If as a result of that webmasters drop themselves into more than they can handle, thats up to them.

-Will
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

vbgamer45

Don't take any of my mods ad mod is fine but other ones i don't really want on it. Bah going to have change the license on all my mods now so they won't be used in a forum host.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

gamesmad

@Liam Yes, I will add the option to choose which SMF version to the feature list.

@vb The way I have done things people can actually install any mods they want, if it's a valid package, it will work.  However I will start a list of disallowed mods for use with SMF Multiforum System.  I have a technique that you could use to stop your mods from working with it, but you would have to put some extra code into all your mods.  Drop me a PM if you want to talk about that more vb.

-Will

KensonPlays

sangwe11

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 11, 2010, 06:09:00 PM
Don't take any of my mods ad mod is fine but other ones i don't really want on it. Bah going to have change the license on all my mods now so they won't be used in a forum host.

Just wondering, whats the problem with him allowing your mods to be installed by the users ?

SAFAD

Best Regards
Sadaoui "SAFAD" Abderrahim - Lead Developer @ Electron Inc.

Liam.

Quote from: sangwe11 on May 12, 2010, 11:13:46 AM
Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 11, 2010, 06:09:00 PM

Just wondering, whats the problem with him allowing your mods to be installed by the users ?

Because otherwise his site, SMFForFree, would not have any unique functions. It's a perfectly reasonable explanation...

Same, I'll BETA test if you want, if you're doing it private (I will if it's a public beta aswell)... I can't wait ;)

gamesmad

@sangwe11 Liam explained it well.  vbgamer45 made those mods, and he has a forum hosting site.  By letting every other forum hosting site use his mods he is taking away unique value from his site.  Still, there are hundreds of other mods that will be available.

@Liam I'll probably just put it up as a public Beta test and let everyone have a go if they want to.  Feel free to give me as much feedback as you can though ;)

-Will

SAFAD

because you can install whatever mod you want
i can create a MOD
that shows phpinfo
and may even upload a shell
so
its better to control wish mods are allowed to be install
or disable installing mods with dangerous functions
thats all what in my head
Goodluck
Best Regards
Sadaoui "SAFAD" Abderrahim - Lead Developer @ Electron Inc.

Liam.

I do plan to give you as much feedback as possible - you're doing a great thing for hundreds of people here, so you deserve constructive feedback ^_^
I am however, a little bit lost on how you will block those packages...

gamesmad

The owner of the multiforum can select mods that the created forums are allowed to install.  Only those modifications will be allowed, there will be no option for created forums to upload their own packages.  The same goes for themes.

-Will

Liam.

Advertisement: