News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Private Beta] [Demo] SMF Multiforum System

Started by gamesmad, May 11, 2010, 03:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamesmad

Here's some screenshots.

1 - Just showing the "Create" tab.

2 - Here's the (currently very basic) menu.

3 - If the user doesn't select a forum type...

4 - Making a new forum.

5 - And here it is :)

-Will
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

Liam.

Well the screenshots look great ;)

I like the way that this is actually built into the SMF code and design instead of being thrown out as a totally separate software like all of the other Multiforums.

Still, I love it and think it's coming along amazingly ;)

As for domains, I have a few questions...

1. Will the admin be allowed to let users select one of many main-domains they can, or will it just be one?
2. Will the user be able to upgrade from a subdomain and buy a regular one (from an external registrar, ofcourse), and change their nameservers to match this, after entering their domain name in the ACP?

gamesmad

I originally set it all up working separately to SMF, but I just integrated it all in because I thought it would look better and make it more of a proper mod.

1.  If all the domains are hosted on the same server, that would be possible.  A bit more complicated, but possible none the less.  I will think about the best ways that could be achieved.

2.  In all honesty I don't know how to do that.  I'll look it up and see what I can do though.  Most registrars let you set up domain forwarding though, wouldn't that be easiest?

-Will
1 on 1 SMF Help - Want 1 on 1 SMF Help? Post in Help Wanted or drop me a message!

Go Charter! - Please consider becoming a charter member to support SMF development.

Please do not PM me with general questions, posting in the appropriate board will ensure everyone benefits from the advice given.

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Liam.

Domain forwarding only points a domain at a given space. I think it's in SMFForFree, sign up and have a look about the admin cp of a free forum there - it's a good idea and I'd certainly want it for my users...

gamesmad

@MultiformeIngegno Yes SMF 2.0 RC3 will be supported.

@Liam I'll have a look and see what I can do, but theres a fair few other things that need to be done first so give me some time 8)

-Will

Liam.

Quote from: gamesmad on May 13, 2010, 01:48:34 PM
@MultiformeIngegno Yes SMF 2.0 RC3 will be supported.

@Liam I'll have a look and see what I can do, but theres a fair few other things that need to be done first so give me some time 8)

-Will

Take your time, you're doing it for free ;) I'm not a domain expert myself but I could look further into it for you and come back with some possible ways to integrate it, if you want...

KensonPlays

gamesmad

I've added a demo link to the original post :)  Click on the "Create" tab, and you will have the option to create either a 1.1.11 forum or a 2.0 RC3 forum.  Forum name should be all lower case letters and no spaces or you'll get an error.

http://www.forumscommunity.com/index.php?action=multiforum

-Will

Liam.

EWW! It offers phpBB as a multiforum? M'eh, I suppose it's good as an 'extra' option...

Anyway, I'm signing up and testing it out now...

sangwe11

Quote from: gamesmad on May 15, 2010, 06:00:39 AM
I've added a demo link to the original post :)  Click on the "Create" tab, and you will have the option to create either a 1.1.11 forum or a 2.0 RC3 forum.  Forum name should be all lower case letters and no spaces or you'll get an error.

http://www.forumscommunity.com/index.php?action=multiforum

-Will

Looking nice (:

Just wondering though, does this create a new file set and database for each multiforum ?

gamesmad

@Liam Haha, yes it's an extra that won't be in the mod.  Not often you see websites that offer a choice of type of forum though ;)

@sangwe11 Thanks :D Whatever happens, the new forum gets a whole new database.  There will be an admin setting where you can choose if new forums get a whole new set of files (so that forum specific mods can be used), or if they just get the absolutely required files (no forum specific mods).  It's a choice between functionality and server space.

-Will

Liam.

Well actually quite a few custom forum hosting companies use a 'forum software' type thing. But phpBB would just make me puke ¬_¬

An option for that would be good, and I really like that idea.

However - would there possibly be any way that the whole 'network' as it were, could run off a single database and have all users registered throughout? That would be amazing ;)

rd

I would like to test this out, I have done some free SMF hosting before but I had to manually add stuff. I have a dedicated server with 4 processors and 4 gig memory to test this on.

I will most likely take this viral! I think you should add things like sub domain support and ad placement.

I seriously think this is a great idea and this will defiantly help expand SMF's users! Since this supports SMF 2.0, I think all other free smf hosting services should be aware.

You are more then allowed to use my mods!

Arantor

Quote from: Royalduke on May 15, 2010, 11:41:54 AM

For the record, no mod of mine is permitted to be distributed with the forum install with the exception of SimpleDesk (which I'll just refuse to support in that case, since the licence expressly permits distribution). If users want to install mods I've written (even if given away), they will have to do it themselves.

rd

Quote from: Arantor on May 15, 2010, 11:48:47 AM
Quote from: Royalduke on May 15, 2010, 11:41:54 AM

For the record, no mod of mine is permitted to be distributed with the forum install with the exception of SimpleDesk (which I'll just refuse to support in that case, since the licence expressly permits distribution). If users want to install mods I've written (even if given away), they will have to do it themselves.

Ooops, forgot that.. Users of this system are more then allowed to use the mods maintained by me (updated to latest versions). You cannot add it to the core, I mean.

What I meant was that users are allowed to install the mods but the mods can;t come preloaded or anything :D Hope everything is clear.

gamesmad

@Liam In theory it will work with any PHP/mySQL script.

That is a mod I was thinking about doing aswell, however I'm probably going to keep that one private (at least for a while) because it's going to be on of the main features of a site I'm launching soon :)

@Royalduke I am definitely interested in taking you up on that one.  Drop me a PM and we can discuss more :)

Subdomain support and ad placement are already in the feature list!

@Arantor+Royalduke No mods will be "pre-loaded" into the distribution.  Multiforum owners can upload a selection of mod package files, which forum owners can then choose from to install.

-Will

sangwe11

Quote from: gamesmad on May 15, 2010, 10:23:54 AM
@sangwe11 Thanks :D Whatever happens, the new forum gets a whole new database.  There will be an admin setting where you can choose if new forums get a whole new set of files (so that forum specific mods can be used), or if they just get the absolutely required files (no forum specific mods).  It's a choice between functionality and server space.

Ahh thats good then. That was my main concern was the admin running out of server space, but if theres an option then the admin can choose.

gamesmad

Obviously the database size would be the same either way, but the files are less than 20kb for a minimal install I think.

-Will

Liam.

All of my mods could be used in the core, I don't mind that (since my existing ones are merely BBCodes, however my larger mods I probably wouldn't mind either...).

If the admin wants to run a proper hosting service, they should have enough space to run multiple forums - as vbgamer45 pointed out above, not every server would run it. But having the option is also still a nice feature ;)

I've been interested myself in running a simple site like that offering pimped-up scripts to run a site off of, SMF being the main one ofcourse (WordPress MU being second...). But even if it's kept private, I'm sure you'll use it well ^_^

Congratulations on 1400 Posts, now control your own topics, controoollll!

Advertisement: