News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to delete English-ISO-8859-1?

Started by theangel, May 12, 2010, 05:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theangel

Hi there

I have installed english-utf8 and german-utf8, but how can I delete english-iso88591? There is no function for that.

The whole page is utf8, so I do not want that the users can select an other charset.

I have seen that here on simplemachine.org, the english-iso-charset is deleted as you can not select it in the header or at the profile-page.

Yağız...

Find and delete from ./Themes/default/Admin.template.php:
// English can't be deleted.
if ($context['lang_id'] != 'english')

Find and delete forum ./Sources/ManageServer.php:
&& $context['lang_id'] != 'english'

Then go to Admin > Languages > English (ISO-8859-9) > Click Delete.

But that can cause some problems on installation of modifications.

theangel

Arantor

You REALLY REALLY shouldn't delete English ISO-8859-1. SMF will likely break if you do actually do this since the language loader will now be semi broken.

theangel

I have deleted it and at the moment, there are no problems. What problems do you mean?

Arantor

Like the fact virtually every mod install will fail, fatally.

Like the fact that in the event of certain fatal errors, the system won't be able to help you; in one case I've even seen Apache crash because of it, though that was a buggy build of PHP as well.

theangel

I have never used any mod, since years ... and I never will do. If I need something, I will do it by myself.

How is it done here? On this forum?

If it's really so critical, I can install the language again and modify the template to not show it.

Arantor

On here, it's still installed, but if you're using UTF-8 it's supposed to hide non UTF-8 languages (I am assuming you're referring to the dropdown at this point)

Really, though, it's only the administrator that will normally be aware of it.

theangel

I don't use a dropdown-list for the language selection at my forums. I mean, for example, at the profile-settings here, only the UTF-8 languages are shown too.

If you have the same languages installed on a normal RC3 of SMF2 as UTF-8 and ISO-8859 it will show booth, without any chance to see wich language uses wich charset (for example "English" and "English").

Arantor

Have you configured your forum to use UTF-8? If so, it's a bug (because in UTF-8 mode, it shouldn't be displayed). If not, the UTF-8 language pack shouldn't be installed.

theangel

Yes, it's configured to use UTF-8 ...

Arantor

Then it's a bug because it's not supposed to display it.

theangel

So, to be sure it's a bug and not my fault, where should I tell SMF to use UTF-8?

Configuraten - Languages - Settings and set the default language to a UTF-8 one?

Arantor

When you installed SMF did you select to install with UTF-8? Or, in Admin > Maintenance > Database, is there an option to convert to UTF-8?

theangel

I've used the webinstall.php for installation of SMF2 RC3, it does not asked me if I wanna use UTF-8 or not (tried seconds bevor, to be sure ...)

I have the option to convert the database to UTF-8, yes ...

Arantor

That would suggest you're not running in UTF-8 mode which would imply using the UTF-8 lang files is probably not entirely a good idea (since if you get non ANSI characters posted they're likely to screw up in the database), and if you want to use UTF-8 lang files, you probably should convert to UTF-8.

Or use the non UTF-8 lang files instead.

theangel

So ... I have redownloaded the webinstall.php and tried it again. Now it asks me if I wanna use UTF-8.

Is there a way to do this afterwards on existing installations?

Arantor

Yes... that's what the option I asked you about is. That converts the database to use UTF-8 instead.

theangel

But it wan't tell the forum to only use UTF-8. I have used the function and at the language-selection, there are still english-iso and english-utf to select.

Arantor

So you have actually used the option to convert the database? And if you examine them in phpMyAdmin it tells you they all have a UTF-8 collation?

(The option also switches a setting in SMF to turn on UTF-8 generally.)

Advertisement: