News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

database password

Started by Reefie, May 15, 2010, 04:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reefie

I have just installed smf after my vb licence was due,had a scout around and founf I loved smf really simple and smooth.I tried to convert from vb to smf and can;t get past the password it tells me that the database password is incorrect even though I know it isn't I entered the same one as in settings.php,any ideas why please I did try to look for similar problems but didn't see any it's either old age or going blind.Anyway if anyone can point me in the right direction it will be very much appreciated
sorry forgot to add the vbulletin and smf are in seperate directories although I have entered the correct paths in the converter ie smf home_directory/community and vbulletin to home_directory/forums,could this be the problem

A world without a reef is a world in chaos

Norv

No, those paths cannot really be the problem, if I understand correctly the problem.

Does SMF work okay? That would mean the database password in Settings.php is correct.

Could you please tell if by any chance the password contains special characters and which?
Eventually, could you please make a screenshot with the error?
Also, which version of SMF do you have installed?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Reefie

I have version 1.1.11 installed,the board loads fine no problems at all can't get a screenie at the moment but this is the error it gives me

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of vBulletin 3. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: Incorrect table name 'user'

hope this helps

Norv

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Reefie

and that was the first place I looked but doesn't solve anything the password and user are correct,however never mind I am going to look at some other alternatives

Norv

The password is correct for SMF, however the error says something else: that SMF's user does not have access to vbulletin's database.
You need to either:
1) make sure in your host's panel that SMF's user does have access to vbulletin's database
2) OR, that you install both SMF and vbulletin in the same database (but with different prefixes).

Reefie

all sorted now converted fine I reinstalled and pointed at the same database.I noticed that member gallery etc wasn't transfered as some other hacks,is there a way to convert these or do I need to start them from scratch,cheers for the help

ThorstenE

Quote from: Reefie on May 15, 2010, 06:10:31 PM
The error MySQL gave was: Incorrect table name 'user'
I believe the table prefix isn't detected properly.. can you check the table prefix from you vBulleting tables via phpMyAdmin?

CommanderMadi

I think you shall get Avea Media mod from the modifications here, so may be the gallery of users are restored like what I did with my CMPS and when I got simple portal, it worked fine :)
Relationships counselling and advice blog
http://www.adorology.com

Advertisement: