News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Theme Chager for SMF2 RC3

Started by !RFAN, May 18, 2010, 08:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

!RFAN

yess i want to add a theme changer on every page so that users might be able to change their theme whenever they want to

i searched for it but i cant find any thing for smf2 rc3...

please :S

CapadY

Did you have a look at the forum profiles of your users ?

It is a default option of SMF.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

!RFAN

forum profile of users?? :O

sir i want it on every page... cant u read???

Arantor

Quote from: amigozone on May 18, 2010, 01:16:05 PM

Can't you be nice to people who were trying to help you?

Liam.

Quote from: Arantor on May 18, 2010, 01:19:50 PM

Can't you be nice to people who were trying to help you?

Ditto.

However I have got a mod almost ready to be submitted, and it will include a theme changer...

!RFAN

Arantor

Quote from: amigozone on May 18, 2010, 03:07:10 PM
submit it please..ASAP

Nice to see a please in there. I have two theme changer mods, in fact, but I doubt either of them will suit your needs... which you haven't explained what you actually want anyway.

CapadY

forum profile of users?? :O

Oke, I'm gone from this thread and this user.

Goodluck.

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

bidzinski

Just curious but why would you want to change the theme on everypage? and wouldn't you need a mod which would make it so you could have a different theme loaded on certain pages, IE when you go to discussion it shows a red theme but then you click the next topic and your on a blue theme? is that what you mean, if there is a mod out like this for smf rc3 I want it please. :D

Liam.

Well the mod I'm making is more than just a theme changer - it will offer quite a bit more, this'd just be a part of it. Also, some more features may be like permissions - who will be able to view it, or what permissions will there be? Do you want to show a thumbnail of each theme. Do you want it changed permanently or temporarily?

bidzinski - That would be near impossible to do I think. Although it's possible on a per-board basis, per-theme would be a hell of alot harder, and too-ott. However, having a theme that changes colors every page load may work, but it'd be terrible and confusing.

bidzinski

It is way over my head I am at the very very beginning when it comes to this kind of stuff, I couldn't create a mod to save myself from disaster.

Liam.

Quote from: bidzinski on May 18, 2010, 05:23:54 PM
It is way over my head I am at the very very beginning when it comes to this kind of stuff, I couldn't create a mod to save myself from disaster.

Making a mod can be hard to start with - if you start fiddling about with the code though, you'll eventually learn new things ;)

But I wouldn't mind making something similar myself - except, no to be rude, but having a different colored theme each topic would be annoying, confusing, it'd take up space, and did I mention annoying? ^_^`

!RFAN

okay now i'll xplain... the members of my forum are not agreed on one theme.. some say dark is good and some say light is good... so i decided to give them an option to change the theme whenever they want to...
i put a code for that in GHF...its working fine ..only one problem.. it takes to the index page after changing the theme...
so i am asking for any better option available...
nd... m sorry if anyone felt my words rude..

!RFAN

Yağız...

!RFAN

installed without errors... but i cant see any theme changer anywhere o my forum?? :S

Yağız...

Arantor

And did you select "install on all themes"?

!RFAN

yess i selected all themes... ryt now i am using default core theme..

Yağız...

Sorry forgot to add it :)
Find in ./Themes/core/index.template.php:
echo '
</div>
</div>';

Replace with:
echo '
</div>
<div class="floatright">
<select id="simple_theme_changer" onchange="switch_theme();">
<optgroup label="', $txt['simple_theme_changer_name'], '">';

foreach ($context['themes'] as $id => $theme)
echo '
<option value="', $id, '"', (($settings['theme_id'] == $id) ? ' selected="selected"' : ''), '>', $theme, '</option>';

echo '
</optgroup>
</select>
</div>
</div>';

!RFAN

no, i still cant see any theme changer :(

Yağız...

Can you post a link to your site please?

Yağız...

It's there :P At the bottom of the forum.

!RFAN

oh yess... i can see..

but its not working... whenever i change a them it shows..."page not found"

Arantor

It's not designed to work with Pretty URLs.

!RFAN

hmmmm... okay thank you so much :)

can u tell me one thing?? can pretty urls really benefit me??? and when i submitted a sitemap to google it says the links in sitemap does not match.. how can i resolve it??

Arantor

Technically that's two things, not one :P

Simple resolution is to uninstall Pretty URLs - will fix both issues.

Pretty URLs doesn't really have that much SEO benefit, if any. All it *might* (and it is MIGHT, not even "maybe") do is get you a few extra people clicking through from Google.

Then again I'm not even sure a sitemap is that useful on a forum.

!RFAN

okay.. what can give me more SEO benefit

actually last time i was running wordpress blog and i submitted a sitemap.. i noticed rapid improvement in in seo.. i was able to see my site one first page... but after that i left wordpress and working with SMF only.. but  now i cant see any SEO working...i can see old wordpress links, keywords in google webmaster tools and analytics... wat should i do for SEO..

Arantor

It's a bit different on a blog, where you only have one author and one stream of pages that can be optimised for search engines. User generated content is a LOT different.

I'm still not sure why people are trying to optimise forums for SEO when the *content* is the key anyway, and it's kind of hard to optimise content you don't create yourself!

!RFAN

hmmm.. okay i understood.. i can see logic..
one more thing please :)
can portal articles do that... i mean if i am using tinyportal??

edit:: and what about robots.txt... can u guide me here please http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=382259.0

Arantor

You can add articles in TP, but if you have any questions, ask on tinyportal.net

Someone else can help on the other issue, I don't really have time to answer endless questions, just here while on a break from working on SimpleDesk.

!RFAN

Advertisement: