News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Has anyone successfully installed Aeva on the 2.0 platform under linux?

Started by winky100, May 18, 2010, 04:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winky100

I am curious if anyone has got aeva to install on the 2.0 platform under linux?

CapadY

AVEA media 1.1b installed at SMF2 RC3 on a linux server without any problems.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

winky100

Yes, but have any of them got Aeva installed?

Is this host using linux? Does it have Aeva installed?

flapjack

what are you implying? there's no difference between host software when installing any mod. couple of my sites are using aeva, all of them linux powered

winky100

There is a nasty bug in package manager under linux.

I upgraded php from 4.1 to 5.x and mysql from 4.1 to 5.x and apache from 2.0 to 2.2 but I still had the bug in package manager.

flapjack

you mean one that nobody know it exists? are you willing to share that knowledge, or you want to play 20 questions?

winky100

I would love to share it with you. I am still hunting it down.

Where can I go to see the known bugs? Maybe this is a known bug.

Liam.

This site hasn't got AEVA installed, no.

However most hosts run Linux, infact only non-linux hosts are for specific purposes, like running game servers. Nearly all sites you see will be running a Linux-based OS.

However, it's working fine on my Linux (Cent OS) server, and it also works on my Windows XP, Vista, and 7 local servers.

flapjack - there are occasional issues with some things between hosts, but with AEVA there don't seem to be any.

Winky100, what's that bug in the package manager? I've not encountered any.

Do you mean that when you try to install the mod, it says "Sorry this mod isn't available for your version of SMF", or it says "Error Installing Package", or something like that?

winky100

The bug I get is when it does PackageInstallTest.

I get Modfication Parser Error for install-2.0.xml.

winky100

When I find a solution to this problem.

How do I convince you this is a real bug so that you all will change the source code so I dont have to keep changing it whenever you make a change?

Thanks.

winky100

It has many manifestations.

First I cant write to a folder or file.

Then I get install-2.0.xml Modification Error.

flapjack

ok, I'll pass here, I don't have all day to play with you. if you think you found a bug, please post in appriopriate section backing it up with some REAL proof

winky100

Allusion

Quote from: winky100 on May 18, 2010, 05:30:54 PM
It has many manifestations.

First I cant write to a folder or file.

Then I get install-2.0.xml Modification Error.

Does this happen only with Aeva, or with other mods too?

Nao 尚

I only noticed that topic because it got locked: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=382353.0 -- and then the topic had a link to this one, so here I am.
I can't believe how now that I'm looking into more boards, I find Aeva-related topics on a hourly basis... :P

Anyway, that 'bug' is real, contrary to some beliefs. I've seen it happen indeed. Problem is, it seems to depend on the SERVER on which the mod is installed, rather than the SMF code.

The issue happens when recreating a tree through a package. When declaring files manually, they install. When declaring a folder, on some servers, the folder is created as a 0-byte file, and of course no files can be put inside another file, so the folder files don't get copied.
What I've experienced is that sometimes, you simply need to uninstall AeMe, then delete the 0-byte files manually (this is a crucial step), then reinstall it, and it'll work. Don't ask me why...
There are a few bugs in the package manager, such as when creating table fields in a unicode environment that doesn't conform SMF's hardcoded one, but so far, most packages don't get technical enough to meet these issues, so they tend not to fall into the hole if I may say. So it can either be seen as a priority, or not.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Allusion

Quote from: Nao on May 20, 2010, 04:08:43 AM
The issue happens when recreating a tree through a package. When declaring files manually, they install. When declaring a folder, on some servers, the folder is created as a 0-byte file, and of course no files can be put inside another file, so the folder files don't get copied.
What I've experienced is that sometimes, you simply need to uninstall AeMe, then delete the 0-byte files manually (this is a crucial step), then reinstall it, and it'll work. Don't ask me why...

Quite interesting... My first guess is that somehow the MKD command (Class-Package.php, line 964, SMF 2.0 RC3) fails and the directory is not created, but the temporary 0-byte "placeholder" file remains. Then it's just a matter of deleting the bad files and trying again. I could be totally wrong, though.

Do you know any details about the servers where this happens? OS, FTP server, PHP version and setup (CGI or Apache module?), control panel used (if any) and so on?

As for me, I seem to have avoided about 99% of package installation issues by resetting file permissions from the SMF Package Manager.

Advertisement: