News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Has anyone successfully installed Aeva on the 2.0 platform under linux?

Started by winky100, May 18, 2010, 04:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Funny that... it's FIVE YEARS OLD. Locked TWO YEARS AGO.

Quote that is entirely relevant:
QuotePackage Manager is a very powerful feature of SMF, but also one that seems to be affected often by unusual server/account configurations and other stuff.

You, it seems, are in the latter category because you have issues that are unreproducible by other people who are (some very) experienced developers.

You've tracked down two things that cause errors for you. What is to say that your "fixes" won't break things for other people?

Try installing SimpleDesk before and after your patch. Does that work?

winky100

Doesnt matter when its locked. 

If you had not locked that thread it would continued to grow.

Unlock that thread and see what happens.

Just because you locked the thread did not make the problem go away. It just made reporting of the problem go away.

Arantor

No, it just meant that each problem gets its own thread so it's easier to follow and deal with.

winky100

I learned what I needed to know.

I will fix the bugs as I encounter them.

I will bet that not one of you guys even looked that the code I asked you to look at. Thats all i asked yesterday was to look at the code and tell me the best place to make a change.  That told me that any effort I put into hunting down the cause for a bug is just for my own own platform. Thats ok. I know that now.

Arantor

I will bet you won't try any of the things we asked you to either. Given that you had to be asked half a dozen times to answer a simple question, and appear to be removing code at random without proving it has no other side effects...

Try installing SimpleDesk. Does that work given your new changes? Do any other mods work?

Or are they now broken by your 'fix'?

EDIT: See, if I change something in the code, I test to make sure I haven't broken anything else by my changes. So Aeva works now. Does any other mod install? Or are they now broken?

winky100

I look at as I am adding value to smf code. My fixes are simple.

I am going to give you a hint.

php's strtr metod has a bug in it.

when you find that bug, let me know then we can talk.

Arantor

Oh for the love of god.

If I may be blunt, near enough every post you have made on this issue hasn't added value. It's been obstructive of actually getting somewhere.

If the fix is as complete as you proclaim, PROVE IT. Do some other mod installs, prove it actually works, then you will have added value.

All you've done is piss a lot of people off.

flapjack

Quote from: winky100 on May 20, 2010, 02:15:49 PM
I look at as I am adding value to smf code. My fixes are simple.

I am going to give you a hint.

php's strtr metod has a bug in it.

when you find that bug, let me know then we can talk.

I, too, will give you a hint: it's been discussed here more times, that you have days of experience with smf. or with php.

Dragooon

If I may add, quite frankly your problem seems more of a server configuration/permission issue in which SMf is unable to create temporary installation files and thus resulting in Modification parse error due to the missing temporary install.xml since it in reality does not exist. It might be considered a bug with SMF but it may not be, SMF is not responsible to work with every configuration. In some cases SMF is unable to extract the archive or unarchives it wrongly, but it can be due to the server configuration as well. The configuration has to adapt SMF, SMF just provided the support for as many configurations as possible.

Now to the other more fun topic, please stop being an irritating guy who *sounds* like he knows something but in reality it seems that he doesn't. If you know a issue, post the code and the fix for it rather then claiming that you do and claiming that you fixed it.

winky100

In version 1.1.11 I did a lot of mod installs. But I could not do any mod installs until I fixed the first but I found.

I went to 2.0RC3 hoping that bug would have been fixed. But I found the same problem in 2.0RC3, plus  I found a second bug that was not in 1.1.11. I have now fixed both of those and can install aeva properly.

I have not tried to insall any more mods with 2.0RC3.

I will try to install another mod, please give me a name for a good mod to install that will test all of package managers capabilities.

Arantor

I did some digging, by the way. The only bugs I can apparently find in strtr seem to relate to developmental versions of PHP, and you never did tell us that, though to be fair no-one asked you multiple times for that information since that seems to be the only way of getting anything actually nearly useful out of you.

I have stated, multiple times, a mod that tests just about everything in Package Manager - SimpleDesk. I should know, I wrote most of it.

winky100

I will install SimpleDesk. Under what category is it on the Mods page?

Dragooon

Arantor

Well, you could have tried searching for it by name, but I'll save you the effort - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2491

Try both the .zip and .tar.gz packages just to be sure.

And just remember, that one's installed here.

~DS~

POST THE GODDMAN CODE RATHER THAN HINTING OR CLAIMING YOU FOUND A BUG OR PATCH!! YOU ARE PISSING EVERYONE ESPECIALLY ME.

[/end vent]
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

winky100

I installed SimpleDesk just fine.
I uninstalled it just fine as well.

I will back out my fix's and then try to install it again.

Do you create any new directories under the Sources or Themes directories?

Arantor

Quote from: winky100 on May 20, 2010, 02:30:44 PM
Do you create any new directories under the Sources or Themes directories?

We create a new directory in Themes/default/images explicitly and a new folder in each theme you install into's Themes/themedir/images folder.

Allusion

Is the issue perhaps related to new grandchild, rather than just child, directories?

Arantor

Well, that's another possibility. It's also a possibility that it's related to installing directly over the 'Sources' directory as Nao does in Aeva, but we don't in SimpleDesk.

I'd be curious to know if it installs without the 'patch' being applied or not.

Advertisement: