News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Released] Minimalism (was: Proteus)

Started by bloc, May 19, 2010, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

Theme has been added to themesite awaiting approval, but you can also check it out here:

http://www.blocweb.net/index.php?action=bwgallery;design=141

From Blocweb:
Quote"Minimalism" is a FREE theme experiment where the starting point was to remove as many of the extra information contained in the default templates, as possible. The result is a theme which is simpler and cleaner and allowed me to try new layouts for the most used templates. The theme is a work in progress, and so far has 2 alternative variations which you can select from "current theme settings".

Note that the theme does NOT display much of the normal info, and that while it has support for some mods it still will need edits for other mods. Note also that it uses custom db code for some of the avatar - fetching functions.

Special care have been taken to use the theme with portals - it has a setting which moves the content of the sidebar, to the middle. Ideal for portals using their own panels.

Supported Mods are:
Aeva Media
Related topics
Tagging system
Users Online Today

Allusion

Quote from: Bloc on May 19, 2010, 04:27:21 PM
Too much functionality would be impossible to mimic or rather be confusing to operate

Indeed, and it can be confusing as it is even. The Facebook UI isn't the best example of usability and accessibility. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/12/business/facebook-privacy.html

Here's a concept redesign I found: http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Facebook-Facelift-Home-Profiles-_amp-Publisher/314489 Perhaps you can get some extra inspiration from it.

All in all, your theme looks promising. The buddies functionality is one of the most underused in SMF, it's nice to see themes and/or mods that make good use of it.

Nao 尚

Very nice, Bloc. And not only because you used an interesting mod in your screenshot ;D

BTW, yesterday someone pointed out a similar FB Wall design in a mod that was released this year. Did you see it by any chance? (I can go find the URL if you're unaware of it.)

I'll be PMing you about something related.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

bloc

Allusion,
Yes, I agree, the buddies option is a nice feature but not explored much. And thanks for the link to the Facebook concept there, interesting way to show FB not the least because of its target at wide-screen users. Even widely spaced items works due to the use of containers and "stripes". Bookmarked lol.

Nao,
yes Aeva was pretty much the first mod I thought about when starting this, as gallery features is so instantly tied to social networking sites like FB. Maybe even attachments in posts could be used in this concept here..but they are not included in recent posts feature for example, so harder to actually include. And besides, I think people are more inclined to separate the two: photos go in a gallery, files go in attachments.

FB wall design? As a theme or mod?

bloc

Ah, I assume you mean the "SMF social network" mod. I looked at it earlier, but two things keep me from using that actively: its a stripped lite/pro version affair, I rather make use of full free mods as this theme will also be free(same argument goes for SMF Gallery mod really). And two, here its made as a separate portion of the site to *just* show the activity. My approach is more to take existing SMF features and just tweak them to be more social networking-like, and still be usable as a forum foremost. Not just be a direct FB clone. I think its less interesting for users to see if a buddy changed his avatar, than seeing boardindex AND what buddies have posted at the same time - for example.

~DS~

Well the paid mod was worth it.
Here's what it look like.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

bloc

No doubt worth it, but still just a clone of FB. ;) I assume the messages in the screnshot are not from the forum, but from a separate messaging system?

~DS~

Quote from: Bloc on May 19, 2010, 07:09:26 PM
No doubt worth it, but still just a clone of FB. ;) I assume the messages in the screnshot are not from the forum, but from a separate messaging system?
It's on the forum yes.  :)
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

bloc

Finished preliminary drafts of display/messageindex pages, next up is the profile and PM ones. But first, more on Display -  polls and attachments needs some drafts too.

~DS~

Quote from: Bloc on May 20, 2010, 02:28:07 PM
Finished preliminary drafts of display/messageindex pages, next up is the profile and PM ones. But first, more on Display -  polls and attachments needs some drafts too.
No BBcodes?

Allusion

Nice, but shouldn't the theme be using Lucida Grande? Or don't you want to go that far?

bloc

Why Lucinda Grande..?

BBCodes..hm, I'll see how it fits. The posting box(which will appear under each post if you press quote) is just a quickreply, which doesn't have that normally.

dannbass

I think it looks awesome, you should leave it without the BBCodes, the more minimal, the better!!

~DS~

Quote from: dannbass on May 20, 2010, 03:43:48 PM
I think it looks awesome, you should leave it without the BBCodes, the more minimal, the better!!
Unless there's a + and - expand and collapse to hide BBcode. ;)
I am sure that will work.

Allusion

bloc

Ah I see..but its already different from FB, so I'll use just verdana/arial for now. Its just CSS for that, so easy to change should you want it. ;)

I had a change of heart and modified some stuff. New drafts displayed underneath. I think the style is coming around now, being more coherent than when I started.

Deaks

Bloc, firstly nice idea, secondly, I think the box to the left that fades on your messageindex, needs more work a dif color etc, it just breaks the look. thirdly, I think the whole color scheme needs work, while i know you are going for simple look, it just doesnt feel right for the look. (if you understand)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Ken.

Great concept Bloc.
It will be nice to see the end result.  :)
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

bloc

Thanks, Ken. :) it will be fun coding it after working out the drafts. Half the work just to make these.

Runic, I think I see where you are going regarding colors..but a little unsure. The orange and blues/bluegreen don't match perhaps?

The fading background on the left will most likely change, maybe that will work better as a solid background. We'll have to see when its live.

Also, I haven't taking into account more mods other than Aeva on "front"(boardindex), but its important to get a certain style out that can be added to more templates.

Deaks

its hard to explain but for me the colors just dont fit the design, maybe it is what you are saying so letrs go with that for now :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: