easily place banners on your forums

Started by 1MileCrash, June 09, 2005, 01:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1MileCrash

looking for the easiest way to put ads or sponser banners on your forums? Well, i think this little trick is as easy as it's going to get.

The news box, used to display the forum news. If you have multiple news entrys, they will change with each refresh of the page. They also allow bbc code, so you can easily place images and links in the news box.

I did this for the default theme, so doing it for another theme may require a different (harder) technique (i.e. if it uses text for the word "newsbox" instead of an image.)

All i did was make to replace .Then i uploaded it to themes/default/images/english as newsbox.gif, overwriting the old file.

Now, the "newsbox" is going to say "sponsors". So you can place a linking banner to your sponsor, and not look stupid. Like, "hey, that's not news you dumby". Keep the banner under around 53 pix, or you'll get a scroll bar. Eew. width can go up to around 250 pix.

using bbc code, just edit the "news" to display the linking image. since the page changes with every refresh of the page, you can put multiple banners in there own "newsbox".

Just a little trick i thought id share.  :P

another good idea is to make a page to let companies know how to advertise on your forum, than put a link in the "sponsor" box to the page. I.E.- "If you are interested in advertising on www.*****.com, click here" yada ya or something like that.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

dtm.exe

Good idea.  Thanks for the tip :).

-Dan The Man

1MileCrash

thanks. I just didnt feel like doing alot of work to put banners on my forums.  :P
and i never use that news box thing anyway. I made an announcements forum. works good enough  :P

bfromd

hello, i dont no if you can help but here we go, i have a personal logo id like to have in the background of forum pages im using theme one now i tried to create them but it did not show . it was succesfully uploaded, but the background was all white, i uploaded it from my desktop.....can you help?

rebelbah

how do you make the banners useing what programs
thanks for any assistance

Quote from: Tippmaster on June 09, 2005, 02:09:37 AM
thanks. I just didnt feel like doing alot of work to put banners on my forums.  :P
and i never use that news box thing anyway. I made an announcements forum. works good enough  :P

SoftDux

Quote from: Tippmaster on June 09, 2005, 01:52:00 AM
looking for the easiest way to put ads or sponser banners on your forums? Well, i think this little trick is as easy as it's going to get.

The news box, used to display the forum news. If you have multiple news entrys, they will change with each refresh of the page. They also allow bbc code, so you can easily place images and links in the news box.

I did this for the default theme, so doing it for another theme may require a different (harder) technique (i.e. if it uses text for the word "newsbox" instead of an image.)

All i did was make to replace .Then i uploaded it to themes/default/images/english as newsbox.gif, overwriting the old file.

Now, the "newsbox" is going to say "sponsors". So you can place a linking banner to your sponsor, and not look stupid. Like, "hey, that's not news you dumby". Keep the banner under around 53 pix, or you'll get a scroll bar. Eew. width can go up to around 250 pix.

using bbc code, just edit the "news" to display the linking image. since the page changes with every refresh of the page, you can put multiple banners in there own "newsbox".

Just a little trick i thought id share.  :P

another good idea is to make a page to let companies know how to advertise on your forum, than put a link in the "sponsor" box to the page. I.E.- "If you are interested in advertising on www.*****.com, click here" yada ya or something like that.

Quite a neat little trick. Could work well with phpadsnew. I wonder if the news box can be moved, to say the bottom of the page?
  • cPanel :: Fantastico :: RVSkin :: WHM :: ModernBill
  • Reseller Hosting :: SSL Certificates :: Domain Registrations :: Affiliate Program
  • Blog Hosting :: CMS Hosting :: Forum Hosting :: E-Commerce Hosting
SoftDux- The Leaders in Software
Use the coupon: smf-06 to get 20% off our packages

1MileCrash

sure it could. just make your own table/div/whatever in the main_below sub template in index.template.php, the variable for a random news item is ', $context['random_news_line'], '

dairin

@Tippmaster -> how to make the news box not only showing in the main page ?? i want it to show in all pages in the forum

dairin

Me_angus

where would I look for the "text" that says news in my theme (Pod_v1)?

Advertisement: