So many bots?

Started by di3f00l, May 23, 2010, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

di3f00l

Ive had 11 bots join in the past 2 days, sites only been up a week. None of them are real. How can I stop them? I'm IP banning them but more come. A mod?

TheListener

What do you mean by join?

What mods do you have installed?

smf version?

di3f00l

Quote from: Brack1 on May 23, 2010, 01:31:54 PM
What do you mean by join?

What mods do you have installed?

smf version?

1.11, they join and add links in their profile. one posted a post with like 50 links in it. oh and all of them have a quote in their signature o.O

rd

Your forum is insecure because of bad configurations or something is wrong with your host.

Who is your hosting?

From experience I have seen bots aka spammers posting spam of hosts like Byet and even 000webhost. Some paid hosting services like Godaddy face bot attacks. I don't know how they are linked but I think bots go by IP address.

di3f00l

Quote from: Royalduke on May 23, 2010, 01:44:21 PM
Your forum is insecure because of bad configurations or something is wrong with your host.

Who is your hosting?

From experience I have seen bots aka spammers posting spam of hosts like Byet and even 000webhost. Some paid hosting services like Godaddy face bot attacks. I don't know how they are linked but I think bots go by IP address.

Godaddy. Yeah like 10 of them were all 1 ip.

rd

Yeah, it might be your host. You might be hosting in Godaddy's spoofed server. Just a few days ago their server caught a virus, I have seen people asking for support here.

Just because they seem bigger and established, doesn't mean they are better, in fact it means, that they don't care what happens to their customers, they know others will come to them becuase of their cheap overselling prices and advertisement.

PS: Those are spam bots.

Fell

I had the same thing.

Adjusting my membership and guest settings helped.  Members must now apply for registration.

tumbleweed

Quote from: Fell on May 23, 2010, 04:38:52 PM
I had the same thing.

Adjusting my membership and guest settings helped.  Members must now apply for registration.

Yep that would help alot.

One of the best nodaddy sites can be found here:
http://nodaddy.com/
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

di3f00l

Quote from: tumbleweed on May 23, 2010, 04:43:55 PM
I had the same thing.

but i worry because godaddy has stuff set up so you can just open up the server on your computer rather than using a 3rd party program and all this crap, what should I use instead? I dont even know how to transfer domain / all the files over to a new host.

tumbleweed

Quote from: di3f00l on May 24, 2010, 03:57:49 PM
I had the same thing.

but i worry because godaddy has stuff set up so you can just open up the server on your computer rather than using a 3rd party program and all this crap, what should I use instead? I dont even know how to transfer domain / all the files over to a new host.

Lets say you moved to G.C. Solutions. I normally move over the sites myself and domains if the client wishes.
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level

di3f00l

Quote from: tumbleweed on May 24, 2010, 04:04:03 PM
I had the same thing.

Lets say you moved to G.C. Solutions. I normally move over the sites myself and domains if the client wishes.

Just so I can get an idea, how much GB or whatever would I need for like 100 users to be on at a time (doesn't it count as 5 users even if one user has 5 pages open?)?

tumbleweed

Quote from: di3f00l on May 24, 2010, 04:24:14 PM
Quote from: tumbleweed on May 24, 2010, 04:04:03 PM
I had the same thing.

Just so I can get an idea, how much GB or whatever would I need for like 100 users to be on at a time (doesn't it count as 5 users even if one user has 5 pages open?)?

This is what I would do if i was you. Just start with the server that can absorb your transfer at this point in time. As more is needed we just move you up the server line. I can move folks up the server line with no downtime on their sites.

di3f00l

Okay I will definitely consider this. I currently have my site on godaddy and it has i guess 3 weeks left on hosting, and I don't plan on opening it to everyone until after my trips so after the 3 weeks I will really consider switching over, but can you tell me how I access the files with GC to upload and delete stuff?

tumbleweed

FTP clients are the fastest way to work with files in your webspace.

I do have clients that use the file manager inside the control panel. However that is not as fast as a FTP client.

di3f00l

Quote from: tumbleweed on May 24, 2010, 04:37:01 PM

I do have clients that use the file manager inside the control panel. However that is not as fast as a FTP client.

Oh okay :] I guess I'll just have to get used to a client.

tumbleweed

Quote from: di3f00l on May 24, 2010, 04:52:28 PM
Quote from: tumbleweed on May 24, 2010, 04:37:01 PM

Oh okay :] I guess I'll just have to get used to a client.

No worries you will be a pro with it in like 10 minutes :)
Once you are onboard with GC I can toss you a very cool desktop knowledge base that can help you with just about anything when your control panel and or webspace is in concern.

info on that can be found here http://gcwebhosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=179.0

this post  I belive has the most updated types of tutorials found in that knowledge base. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=175698.msg1368459#msg1368459

di3f00l

Okay I'll be in contact with you in the future :]

Advertisement: