News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mod Request: Password protect forums

Started by WhatsTheRent, May 27, 2010, 12:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatsTheRent

Hello all.  I could really use a feature that allows me to password protect certain boards.  For example, I want one board open to the public, and another private ones for customers.  I don't want to use membergroups as that requires me to manually assign each person to the required membergroup.  However if I could simple provide people with a password when they buy a product they can get into the private forums right away after registration.  So when someone tries to navigate to a private board, it simple asks for the password.

I did a lot of searching and found some old mods that do this, but I need one for 2.0 RC3.  Thanks a lot, I hope someone can whip this up!

Liam.

Well, you could get members to sign up to your site using a paid membership - that could work depending on how you have your site set up.

But there are multiple security issues with password protected boards, but as it's such a largely requested mod, it is on my to-do list for this weekend...

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

WhatsTheRent

WhatsTheRent

I'd still very very very much like to get my hands on a mod that can do this...  so if anyone has the time/desire..  please???

live627

KensonPlays

For SMF 2.0 RC4?

If so thank you thank you thank you!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Arantor

But why, though? It's really not one of the greatest ideas for managing a community, that's what membergroups are much better at doing.

Seriously, I've been in communities with password protected boards, all it requires is someone to give out the password by PM and everyone's suddenly in the board. Better solution is to only give out access via membergroup.

KensonPlays

I have only a couple boards I'd use it on, and the people i'd give the password are VERY VERY trustworthy, and I know them VERY well personally, not just online. (cousins, as well as close friends)

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Arantor

So if they are already members, give them a usergroup, and the job's done. No mods, no waiting for it to be updated... it's just done.

WhatsTheRent

Membergroups will unfortunately not work for what I need, as it requires me do something before a user can access a board.  For example, lets say that I have a forum for a variety of products I sell.  I have one section open to guests for people to ask questions, then I have a private board for each of the 20 products I sell.  When somebody buys the product, I want to be able to provide them with a password to access the appropriate board.  If I used membergroups it would mean that after somebody buys something, they would have to email me to say "hey I bought this, change my membergroup" so there would be a delay in them getting access.

Arantor

If you're doing online trading, there are ways you can actually have the group updated automatically, just like the paid subscriptions system can do.

Arantor

* IncognitoMuse waits for the inevitable complaint.

Spoogs

Quote from: IncognitoMuse on December 21, 2010, 04:25:31 PM
* IncognitoMuse waits for the inevitable complaint.
haha... I'm waitin for it too

KensonPlays

live: I have bookmarked that topic. Thanks.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Arantor

What... no plea for it being free? You're improving :)

Spoogs

;D I was betting on it being asked for for $3.00

KensonPlays

It doesn't say if it's paid, OR free yet.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Spoogs

If you read the topic you would be able to tell that its paid.

Advertisement: