How to Limit No. of Unread Replies and Posts Since Last Visit

Started by humbleworld, June 05, 2010, 08:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleworld

Hello,

I want to limit the no. of posts that will show up for a member's "show unread replies" and "show unread posts since last visit."

Too many of them. Hundreds of pages with 40 threads per page. This is taxing my server.

Kays

The setting for the items displayed per page there is the same as: Admin CP > Posts and Topics > Topic Settings > Number of topics per page in the message index:

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Joker™

i think humbleworld has asked to limit number of posts "that show's up for a member's in "show unread replies" and "show unread posts since last visit".

Not on message Index.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

humbleworld

Yes, not on message index. It's on a member's profile on top of the site.

Kays

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

humbleworld

NO, it's different, Kays. Even if you limit the message index, unread posts and new replies will still give you all the stats.

There must be a way to limit it to a certain no. of posts, not a certain no. of pages.

Kays

That's strange. Following the code in Recent.php, where that is setup, $modSettings['defaultMaxTopics'] is used to limit the items per page. This is the same setting as is used in message index.

My Mods

humbleworld

If you go to your profile and click: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=unreadreplies, you will see all your unread replies. Mine is over a hundred now. What if I want to limit it to just 20 topics? That cannot be limited by the settings at the posts and topics in admin panel.

Kays

Yes that's the same as what I'm looking at. action=unreadreplies should be the same as action=unread. In the forum I'm looking at the items per page for both are the same in message index. And I can change it by adjusting the topics per page in topic settings./

How many items do you see?

My Mods

humbleworld

Kays, I don't mean the number of topics per page. I mean the overall no. of unread replies be limited to a certain number.

Kays

Either read them or mark them as read. You can do the later page by page.

My Mods

humbleworld

Kays, I want to limit the no. of posts not just mine but all members of the forum. So it's not possible to do it manually for all members.

Kays

Not really since it still needs to do that query to get the count.

My Mods

Advertisement: