Updating to 2.0 from 1.1.11

Started by harryxyz, June 11, 2010, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryxyz

Hello All,
               I'm currently using SMF 1.1.11 and would like to update to 2.0 RC3. Could you please tell me the procedure to do this.
               Also would like to know that when I update to 2.0, will all the modification packages and themes get uninstalled?
                Please tell me the detailed procedure and consequences of updating the version. Thanking you all in anticipation.

CapadY

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

harryxyz

This actually doesn't explain me much.
I am just stuck up at the database question. I have SMF 1.1.11 running. I want 2.0 RC3. I install a new 2.0 RC3.
Then I dont understand anything. What to do to the database and the upgrade.php. Please explain what to do after uploading the 2.0RC3

Road Rash Jr.

All you need to do is uncompress the "Large Upgrade" file on your computer. Copy all the files to your sever forum folder then point your browser to the install file. Follow the steps and the database will be updated by the install process.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

flapjack

if you don't understand a simple step by step manual then it's a sign you should ask someone else to do it

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: flapjack on June 11, 2010, 11:03:42 AM
if you don't understand a simple step by step manual then it's a sign you should ask someone else to do it

That's not a fair comment flapjack, my personal experience with having an international forum I deal daily with translation issues. What may be simple to those proficient in English (and that's not a given) could be a pile of gibberish to one who isn't. Getting someone else to install the upgrade will get it done but does little to help this guy understand how it's done for when he needs to do it again in the future.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

CapadY

Last but not least, make a complete backup before starting the upgrade process.

CapadY

Quote from: harryxyz on June 11, 2010, 10:49:25 AM
I am just stuck up at the database question. I have SMF 1.1.11 running. I want 2.0 RC3. I install a new 2.0 RC3.
Then I dont understand anything. What to do to the database and the upgrade.php. Please explain what to do after uploading the 2.0RC3

Installing a NEW SMF2RC3 is where you went wrong. After installing a new SMF upgrading is no loner an option.

Just follow the upgrade procedure and all database handling will be done for you without even thinking about it.

harryxyz

Quote from: capady on June 11, 2010, 11:21:09 AM
Quote from: harryxyz on June 11, 2010, 10:49:25 AM

Installing a NEW SMF2RC3 is where you went wrong. After installing a new SMF upgrading is no loner an option.

Just follow the upgrade procedure and all database handling will be done for you without even thinking about it.

So I am not supposed to install fresh copy of SMF 2.0RC3. Then how to upgrade?

CapadY

Sorry, I gave you a link to the upgrade procedure.

I'm not gonna copy the text you can find there to this topic.

flapjack

Quote from: Road Rash on June 11, 2010, 11:14:36 AM

That's not a fair comment flapjack, my personal experience with having an international forum I deal daily with translation issues. What may be simple to those proficient in English (and that's not a given) could be a pile of gibberish to one who isn't. Getting someone else to install the upgrade will get it done but does little to help this guy understand how it's done for when he needs to do it again in the future.
don't see a point here. if the instruction is too complicated for OP, and he wasn't able to create a proper topic in language specific board (or find a forum in his language, if such board doesn't exist here), then next logical step is to ask for help. I don't see a flaw in my reasoning. and I don't see how bringing your experiences with translations is relevant to this topic.
somehow I never saw even one complaint about manual being too complicated, or the language used is too advanced for beginners. and I never said that whoever would perform the upgrade won't give detailed explanation to the OP. my intention wasn't to be mean, but to prevent bad things to happen

harryxyz:
make sure you have your files&database backed up, delete all the files, use the large upgrade package to replace deleted files and then perform the upgrade

harryxyz

Is the upgrade package i need to go from 1.1.11 to 2.0RC 3? Here is the link:
http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc3_upgrade.zip

Please check it for me and tell me if its the right one

Road Rash Jr.

Quotedon't see a point here.

Like I said some people who are proficient in English don't understand what's written either  ::)

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: harryxyz on June 11, 2010, 11:42:48 AM
http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc3_upgrade.zip

Yes that's the file you want.

harryxyz

Quote from: Road Rash on June 11, 2010, 11:52:04 AM
Quote from: harryxyz on June 11, 2010, 11:42:48 AM

Yes that's the file you want.

After the upgrading thing I wont have any mods left, right? And even the themes will go?

Road Rash Jr.

QuoteAfter the upgrading thing I wont have any mods left, right? And even the themes will go?

Thanks right. Only the original themes will remain.

harryxyz

Quote from: Road Rash on June 11, 2010, 12:29:41 PM
QuoteAfter the upgrading thing I wont have any mods left, right? And even the themes will go?

I will just sum up the up gradation steps here. Please verify if correct:
1. Downloading the large upgrade of SMF 2.0RC3
2. Uploading
3. Backing up the old files and database.
4. Deleting the old files of SMF 1.1.11
5. Extracting upgrade pack of SMF 2.0RC3.
That's all to be done?

Jakob Fel

don't see a point here. if the instruction is too complicated for OP, and he wasn't able to create a proper topic in language specific board (or find a forum in his language, if such board doesn't exist here), then next logical step is to ask for help. I don't see a flaw in my reasoning. and I don't see how bringing your experiences with translations is relevant to this topic.
somehow I never saw even one complaint about manual being too complicated, or the language used is too advanced for beginners. and I never said that whoever would perform the upgrade won't give detailed explanation to the OP. my intention wasn't to be mean, but to prevent bad things to happen

harryxyz:
make sure you have your files&database backed up, delete all the files, use the large upgrade package to replace deleted files and then perform the upgrade

The way you stated that first paragraph sounded somewhat mean. Maybe a user is still learning everything, and is just trying to figure things out. I have to admit, the current manual is sometimes unclear. That's why I have been going on a campaign to correct many errors, and to make it sound more professional and clear.
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

CapadY

Quote from: harryxyz on June 12, 2010, 03:41:29 AM
Quote from: Road Rash on June 11, 2010, 12:29:41 PM

I will just sum up the up gradation steps here. Please verify if correct:
1. Downloading the large upgrade of SMF 2.0RC3
2. Uploading
3. Backing up the old files and database.
4. Deleting the old files of SMF 1.1.11
5. Extracting upgrade pack of SMF 2.0RC3.
That's all to be done?

1) Backup Files and database
2) Download uograde package to local machine
3) unpack package
4) Uploading files from the upgrade to forum root
5) run yoursite/upgrade.php

harryxyz

Someone above in the replies told me to delete the old files. What about that?

flapjack

there is many ways to upgrade, I thought you've mixed up files with your old and new installation, thet's why I suggested deleting it.
just follow capady's post, please, you won't get much more detailed instructions

rd

Quote from: harryxyz on June 13, 2010, 08:19:38 AM
Someone above in the replies told me to delete the old files. What about that?

DO NOT delete the old files... They will just get overwritten if there is a change.

Just backup you files and then upload all the uncompressed files in the 2.0 upgrade folder. After you have done that, just go to: [youdomain].com/upgrade.php your SMF is not in root, then it will be [yourdomain].com/[your smf folder]/upgrade.php

CapadY

Maybe removing old MODs but I dont know anything about removing old files

Sanwal

thanks guys this topic worked for me perfectly... upgradeD my forum to SMF2-RC3

Advertisement: