News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

To hide category from board index

Started by Joker™, June 26, 2010, 08:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker™

I want to hide category from main board index , but still users can access it using View single category mod .

I've asked twice in mod support thread , but author seems to be bit busy.

I got solution here also , but it's not working after the mod is installed

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=384711.msg2665355#msg2665355

please someone help me out in this  :-X .
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

PurpleCrow

If you hide the boards, using the instructions within this thread http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=387883.0 it will hide the category if all of the boards are hidden.

If you want to see an example, I've got boards hidden on my forum which can be accessed via the "Study Groups" tab on the menu bar (I think guests can see it), I'll have to install that Single Category mod, will make it much neater :D
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Add your forum to the Forums Galore Community Showcase

Joker™

im asking to hide categories , not boards :)
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

PurpleCrow

OK, I may have misunderstood.

Do you want the category to display on the board index? Or just the boards within that category to display on the board index? Or do you want to have a collapsed category bar displaying on the board index and for people to be able to view that category by clicking on the category name?
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Joker™

lol u just even confused me :D hahahaha .....

i just want category not to show on main page.not even its boards.

but category can accessed via the link produced by the "View Single Category Mod".

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

PurpleCrow

LOL!

Right - if you hide the boards within that category using the instructions posted within the thread I posted a link to it will hide the category as well (as long as you hide all the boards within that category) which you can then access through the category link thats created via the View Single Category Mod.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Joker™

It created the same problem,

I tried ur trick , it made category disappeared from main page,

but when i tried to access it using the mod category was not showing at that page also.(boards of the category also didn't showed up).

any other solution :) ?
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

PurpleCrow

No idea sorry! Unless theres a similar way to hide a category itself - I'll have a play around with the code on my test board.

You could do it as I have done (I got loads of errors with that mod so didnt bother with it) - hidden a board, added childboards to that board and accessing the main board via its URL. Erm, that may not make sense... See here http://thewitchespath.com/index.php?board=77.0 Thats a hidden board accessed via a tab in the navbar.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Joker™

First of all ur site is very pretty.

I'll wait for the solution first as i already have 14 categories on my site , so it'll be a long process for me.

So i'll stick to my original Question.

i just want category not to show on main page.not even its boards.

but category can accessed via the link produced by the "View Single Category Mod".
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

PurpleCrow

Quote from: Joker™ on June 26, 2010, 10:59:45 AM

Aw, thank you :D

I've had a look to see if I could work out a code to do it but its a bit beyond me I'm afraid! Hopefully someone else will be able to help you :)
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Joker™

Quote from: PurpleCrow on June 26, 2010, 11:06:47 AM
Quote from: Joker™ on June 26, 2010, 10:59:45 AM

Aw, thank you :D

I've had a look to see if I could work out a code to do it but its a bit beyond me I'm afraid! Hopefully someone else will be able to help you :)

your welcome :) , im also seeking for solution nearly past 2 weeks
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

PurpleCrow

I had a thought, if you install the View Single Category Mod, that must change the code in some way to seperate the categories much like the actual boards are which should enable you to hide them in a similar way you hide the boards. Hmm I'll have a look at the coding the mod uses.

Or you could do it using the mod and the way I suggested in my 5th post (on this thread).
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

lomaalta

I need to do this too - I have many boards I would like to hide on the board index...  all within one category.

Maybe a mod like this:   In the Admin area, in the Modify Category page, a way to set all boards permissions - within that category - en masse...

insert 0,2,4,5,6,7,8 into member_groups if id_cat = x    to hide the entire category and all it's boards from guests for example.

8)

Kindred

???

if you don't ant guests to see boards, then don't give them access to see the board.
SMF does not display actions which a user can not complete...   so, if they can't read the board, they can't see even see the board listed... and - if all boards in a category are not visible, then the category itself is not displayed....

So, why do you need a mod that overcomplicates something which is simply handled through the existing permissions?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lomaalta

Because i have about 100 boards that I would instantly like to turn the visibility on or off of ....

Just a quirky want of mine....   admittedly.  8)

Arantor

Maybe restructuring your boards to have less of them might help?

This forum has 200 boards, mostly because each language has its own little area, cut that out and the number drops to below 50... and this forum has 3.6 million posts... just a thought?

lomaalta

Well, I ran a similar sized forum for years with 50,000 (15000 or so very active) members... today it has over 4 million posts -    So I have some experience :)  In fact - maybe sold it for the highest price ever for an smf forum :)

I'm just trying to doing something "a little different", and need that functionality.  I may try to whip something up - and post it for others - so this isn't as much a mod request - as it is a mod idea.  8)

...  and regardless of how many boards I have I think it would useful be able to set permission on groups (categories) of boards... instead of having to go into each board and set them....  no?

Advertisement: