News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Search function

Started by ianus, March 20, 2008, 06:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianus

Greetings!

The option "Search in topic subjects only" isn't working as expected, not to say isn't working at all. It will bring up results with the parameter in the hole thread, if the the word is part of the subject or not.

I noticed this since this board is running the first SMF2 version, but hoped that other changes and fixes run with higher priority and  this missing feature will be fixed with the first (theoretic!) possibility to use SMF2 in an active board.

Now I think, it's time to drop a short note.
You can test it with "search" as parameter.

By the way.
As mentioned years before, a additional row which displays the number of posts in a threads in the result page would be nice.

Anyway, thanks for this great software!
Regards
ianus

Edith say:
Forgot to mention. I use the adcanved search feature on simplemachines.org and not from an own side.

Paracelsus

Hi,

I've noticed something here on SMF forum (which uses 2.0 Beta 3) which is related to the search option inside a certain topic, but I don't know exactly it's a bug or not... when I search for a term that exists in multiple posts inside a certain topic, the results point exclusively to one result matching one post only and not the several posts where that word can be found. Is it supposed to be like this? ???

Example: If you go to this topic http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=229235.0 you see
that the word "admin" can be found in several posts... however, when you do a search for "admin" it comes up with just one post as a result... the same happens with other words and within other topics.

SleePy

This is a known bug, It works right at my site so I assume its a bug with our search daemon we use
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ianus

Greetings!

Thanks for the reply! Lot of work these day mmh?
Maybe you should use the Laplace's demon..
...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace%27s_demon

Kind regards

SleePy

We have a good sphinx search daemon. The issue I assume is just the API between the two is not working as it should.
SMF 2.0 allows for API plugins into search for things such as search daemons.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ianus

:D

In the history of science, Laplace's demon is a hypothetical "demon" envisioned in 1814 by Pierre-Simon Laplace such that if it knew the precise location and momentum of every atom in the universe then it could use Newton's laws to reveal the entire course of cosmic events, past and future.

Nevermind.

Thanks for your great support!

Paracelsus

Sorry to bring this topic up again, but had to say that I've noticed the bug - quoted below - is fixed when doing a "in topic" search (at least here in SMF) :D:

Quote from: Paracelsus on March 20, 2008, 06:50:18 AM
Hi,

I've noticed something here on SMF forum (which uses 2.0 Beta 3) which is related to the search option inside a certain topic, but I don't know exactly it's a bug or not... when I search for a term that exists in multiple posts inside a certain topic, the results point exclusively to one result matching one post only and not the several posts where that word can be found. Is it supposed to be like this? ???

Example: If you go to this topic http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=229235.0 you see
that the word "admin" can be found in several posts... however, when you do a search for "admin" it comes up with just one post as a result... the same happens with other words and within other topics.
Quote from: SleePy on March 20, 2008, 11:13:04 AM
This is a known bug, It works right at my site so I assume its a bug with our search daemon we use

Thank you.

Advertisement: