News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

2.0 Final Version

Started by Lolafish, June 29, 2010, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolafish

Is there an estimate of when this will be ready? I've been waiting for major upgrades to my site, but want to do everything all at once. I'm really excited, but how long do we still have to wait?  Till the end of the year? Next year?  I just want a general time frame, if at all possible.

Thanks for everything you do.   :)

AquaPuppies - A Goldfish Community
www.aquapuppies.com

Running SMF 2.0.2 & SimplePortal 2.3.5

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Simple Answer: No
Why?: Because we don't your forums to have bugs and get hacked. So we need to test things out properly so that you are secured enough.

Lolafish

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on June 29, 2010, 02:14:01 PM
Simple Answer: No
Why?: Because we don't your forums to have bugs and get hacked. So we need to test things out properly so that you are secured enough.

In this post:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=238229.msg1535754#msg1535754  it was supposed to come out in 2008...although maybe that was meant to portray the first RC version of it?  I've had my forum up for over 2 years now, and I just would like an idea of when to tell my members they can get the features we've all been waiting for.

I understand it's a process..of course.  But no one has ANY idea whatsoever of a timeframe?  Wahhhhhhhh.

www.aquapuppies.com

C4G-TK

I heard that it is coming out sometime between the time when people stop asking when it is going to come out and people stop making threads that say "PLEASE HELP!", but I may be wrong.  LOL ;D ;D ;D

-img removed-

Lolafish

Quote from: C4G-TK on June 29, 2010, 02:30:12 PM
I heard that it is coming out sometime between the time when people stop asking when it is going to come out and people stop making threads that say "PLEASE HELP!", but I may be wrong.  LOL ;D ;D ;D

lol

Yeah yeah yeah, I get it already

However...NOTHING is full proof, or fool proof.  I still have security issues with the 1.1.10 version I run now. It'll never be perfect.  Hurry up already.  lmao

www.aquapuppies.com

PurpleCrow

I'd rather they take their time and get it completely finished (as bug free as possible etc) than rush them and end up with a buggy final release :P
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Add your forum to the Forums Galore Community Showcase

Kill Em All

Quote from: Lolafish on June 29, 2010, 02:42:49 PM
However...NOTHING is full proof, or fool proof.  I still have security issues with the 1.1.10 version I run now. It'll never be perfect.  Hurry up already.  lmao
Maybe because the latest version is 1.1.11...

Not SMF's fault you are running a outdated version.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Jakob Fel

Heh, I was just about to say that. :P
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Lolafish on June 29, 2010, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: C4G-TK on June 29, 2010, 02:30:12 PM

lol

Yeah yeah yeah, I get it already

If we rush in 2.0 Final, you'll have even MORE security issues in there and I bet you won't like it. Give it time and you'll get a good fruit. You can always go to 1.1.11 as suggested by Kill Em All as it has no known security wholes. It will definitely secure your forum than what it is at in 1.1.10.

Lolafish

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on June 29, 2010, 05:10:39 PM
You can always go to 1.1.11 as suggested by Kill Em All as it has no known security wholes. It will definitely secure your forum than what it is at in 1.1.10.

Thanks for the tip!

www.aquapuppies.com

TurtleKicker

Lolafish,

Not an ETA, but you might be interested in this thread:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=377215.0

To the developers:

Instead of an ETA (which I know is what you're always asked and a question you can't answer)... how about just some sort of "status update"? Something to the masses to just tell us how things are going/progressing? Tell us about what has been done, and your opinions of the remaining workload. These are questions you can answer, and would go a long way towards pacifying the understandably-impatient forum admins desperate for something... anything... to give them some sense of the progress being made.

You have to understand the atmosphere on the outside of the curtain here... all we have available to us is the Developers Blog, in which not only has there been no post talking about SMF2 progress since October 2009, but the only two recent threads have been announcements about developers leaving. It makes people uneasy and desperate for something positive.

Thanks.

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Joker™ on July 02, 2010, 01:13:54 PM
sremick bro How about following this Page Regularly
I do, which is where I get the stats for the thread/post I linked in my previous post. ;)

However, it is very difficult to extract an overall view and general sense of the state of progress by watching all the individual bug noise. I know about Mantis, but it's not this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=321718.0

That's what I'm talking about. We're overdue for something like that (especially since back in March we were promised one "soon")... one should come out each month.

searchgr

Wait until the Windows 8. It will be around that time, i guess.

Kindred

well, "soon" can mean many different things because it is comparative. :P

however, as I have said before: We will most likely have an RC4 release before the final release.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Norv

You are right, I don't think we have been as informative as we should have, in the past few weeks. I will make sure we will have a very informative status update in a matter of days. I know that following the bug tracker says something, but not enough, and we will make sure to fill in the gaps. Sorry for the delay in doing so thus far.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

searchgr

If there is a rc4 release then i expect the final version around Xmas the earliest.

TurtleKicker

Quote from: searchgr on July 03, 2010, 10:35:10 AM
If there is a rc4 release then i expect the final version around Xmas the earliest.
If it really takes that long before I can offer the modernization my forum desperately needs to remain relevant amongst competing forums, then I'll be lucky if I have any users left by then.

SN

Guys seriously, RC3 is very stable and no real major flaws.

Is just fine to upgrade if you really want to and are worried about losing members.

My forum has been on RC3 for months now and i haven't had 1 problem with it

TurtleKicker

Quote from: SN on July 04, 2010, 12:34:40 AM
Guys seriously, RC3 is very stable and no real major flaws.

If the official line is for admins to upgrade their forums to RC3, then they need to:

1) Change the company line regarding betas and RCs, which currently now informs users that it isn't to be used for a production site, and...

2) Provide an updater so that users who move to RC3 out of desperation can smoothly upgrade to RC4 and/or SMF2 final without a full reinstall and without losing all their mods.

Another reason moving to an RC for a production site isn't workable is due to many mod authors not bothering to update their mods until SMF2 final is released. It's not practical to migrate a site using mods that work on SMF1 to SMF2 RC3 if those critical mods haven't been updated yet.

Perhaps your site uses no or few mods, or all your mods have been updated for RC3. If so, congratulations... however, one of SMF's touted strengths is the power it gives through its many mods, and some people (like me) make use of many in order to provide a unique experience to their forum users.

Advertisement: