News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

1.1 Converters

Started by Grudge, June 15, 2005, 04:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indra

I've installed smf 1.1 Rc1 and converted the database from a vbulletin 3.0.9 which was really easy,
Converting...
Converting members... Successful.
Converting categories... Successful.
Converting boards... Successful.
Converting topics... Successful.
Converting posts (this may take some time)... Successful.
Converting polls... Successful.
Converting poll options... Successful.
Converting poll votes... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 1)... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)... Successful.
Converting topic notifications... Successful.
Converting board notifications... Successful.
Converting smileys... Successful.
Converting attachments... Successful.
Converting avatars... Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... Incomplete.
Not quite done yet!
This conversion has paused to avoid overloading your server, and hence not working properly.
Don't worry though, nothing's wrong - simply click the continue button below to start the converter from where it left off.
yet at the end it seem to get stuck in a loop, for it keeps reloading a page with this message
Converting...
Recalculating forum statistics... Incomplete.
Not quite done yet!
This conversion has paused to avoid overloading your server, and hence not working properly.
Don't worry though, nothing's wrong - simply click the continue button below to start the converter from where it left off.

So i close this page and go to the forum admin maintenance - Forum Maintenance
First I start "Find and repair any errors", which gives me a list of personal messages that have been send to unexisting members, so i fix
Next i do a "Recount all forum totals and statistics", that fixes invalid personal message count and then i do "Optimize all tables to improve performance"

That seem to get everything converted and showing up correctly (at first glance)

Thank you, SMF team for a great forum.
The installation is really easy and the forums are quite helpfull.
Thank you all  :D

Confused Too

Hi again,
Having just read Indra's post I have just re-installed everything again. I have run the converter for eblah and again it stated there were errors.  However, this time I have checked the DB and downloaded it in csv format and opened it in a text editor.  I find the posts are there but not shown as being part of anything. then I noticed what Indra had to do:-
QuoteSo i close this page and go to the forum admin maintenance - Forum Maintenance
First I start "Find and repair any errors", which gives me a list of personal messages that have been send to unexisting members, so i fix
Next i do a "Recount all forum totals and statistics", that fixes invalid personal message count and then i do "Optimize all tables to improve performance"
That seem to get everything converted and showing up correctly (at first glance)
Well I had different errors but buy following the same process it worked for me too so if anyone is trying to convert a good hint is to do exactly the same as above.
That said none of the permissions on the forum are correct for users with differing access levels.
I have a board just for Admin users, one for committee members and one where Guests can view only and now find that a guest can see the whole forum.  I will now have to work on permissions for each board......  >:(  Another bug but I can live with that is that HTML has been imported as text so instead of line breaks there are <br> HTML etc.... Mind it is heading in the right direction now.
However, it is a lot slower than eblah the load time for threads is about 4-6 times slower?
Getting there...slowley...  :D 
Making the working lives of the disadvantaged a little easier.

Indra

Yes, also with me board permissions are reset, html tags are alright, at least they are showing up properly at forum display, and thats what matters

Maybe you have to allow html code to be parsed, HuttonIT, this is something i also had to set in my previous forum for it to display some tables i posted.

Yet now, after the conversion, the tables show up properly, does smf allow html in post as a default or did it copy (a part of?) the permissions from my vbulletin forum.
something that i might look up, later :)

smsulliva

On of the other admins for our site tried to use the simpleboard converter and he sent me this messege of what happened.
Maybe because our board was upgraded from simpleboard to joomlaboard. :(

I installed SMF and tried the converter but it didn't quite work, perhaps because we're converting from Joomlaboard now, not Simpleboard.

First it converts all the users and posts, which seems fine.  Then it fails to find some posted images, which I couldn't find on the server anyway.  Then it says recalculating forum statistics... incomplete.  And it says conversion paused to avoid overloading the server.  It seems to continue at a few seconds intervals, but it stays like this forever, so something is clearly wrong.

Have a look at the SMF board, it looks kinda funky:

www.evilsmurf.com/smf/

Somehow the posts are full of broken img tags.

- Geir

Any chance of making a converter specific to joomlaboard. I think he thought the simpleboard would work..

Oldiesmann

I've never even heard of Joomlaboard until now. I find it odd that such a thing even exists considering that the official Joomla site is using SMF... I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, but we'll look into the issue.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

smsulliva

Joomlaboard is the next version of Simpleboard by the same guy.

hozt

Invision Power board 2.1 has the following problems on import:
1) polls do not import
2) bbcode in signatures gets displayed
3) there is misc bbcode in the message bodies
4) smileys show up as code
5) groups do not come in
6) some quotes show up as bbcode

Has anyone been able to successfully import IPB 2.1?  I have a data dump if that could help and could give specific examples.  I have not found any other BB that has a converter for 2.1 so SMF would be the first.

Confused Too

Quote from: hozt on November 17, 2005, 01:37:13 AM
Invision Power board 2.1 has the following problems on import:
1) polls do not import
2) bbcode in signatures gets displayed
3) there is misc bbcode in the message bodies
4) smileys show up as code
5) groups do not come in
6) some quotes show up as bbcode
All the above applied to my conversion from e-Blah except I can add to the list in that the PMs and forum access levels were not imported too.  However, having said that I can live with that as the forum is now up and running after about 6 hours of messing about and the transition to the users from one forum to the other meant no down time at all and only 3 messages had to be input by me for members which posted on the old one while I was converting and getting it ready.  The first they knew was when they were presented with a completely different look.  I even kept the same URL by simply changing the source in the frame calling the forum from the old one to the new one.
Have a look if you want at www.ndpa.info (no guest access to the forums except the rules - but you could always register to see half of it open to the public)
Making the working lives of the disadvantaged a little easier.

maharg

So I have some time to mess around with the converter (vb3 in particular) directly now, having downloaded an entire copy of the database locally so I can do it directly instead of from cron. Turns out it probably didn't work because it really isn't designed to be run automatically. I'm not sure why it ever said it was successful.

Anyways, it would be better if the queries were better tuned. For example, with 70,000 threads, each 500 thread 'page' of the results being converted was taking about 3 *minutes* to complete, which meant it would be done in about 7 hours. Removing the table join (and replacing the fields with dummy data that can be regenerated later, as well as removing the indexes affected) made the thread table convert in seconds. I also tried making it use a covering index, since it was invoking a filesort, but that didn't help very much. I suspect that while fixing the dummy fields will be time consuming, it will be very unlikely to take 7 hours.

A similar optimization to the post table (where the joined values are even easier to generate) has caused an improvement as well, but not by the same degree. My 2 million posts will probably be done in about 40min-1hr, which isn't too bad.

cpelham

I keep getting Converting Posts Unsuccessful!

Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet'

Any ideas about how I can solve this?

netlite

My problem is:

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user: '[email protected]' for table 'phpbb_users'

I have phpBB 2.0.15. The username and the databases for each phorums are diferent. auser is the user for smf and buser is the user for phpBB. Can you help me?

digiSal

Trying to convert YabbSE 1.5.5 to 1.1 RC1 and am getting the following error:

Converting members... Unsuccessful!
This query:
SELECT ID_MEMBER, im_ignore_list
FROM `digidata`.yabbse_members
WHERE im_ignore_list RLIKE '[a-z]'
LIMIT 512;
Caused the error:

Unknown column 'im_ignore_list' in 'field list'

Thinking it was due to a mod which added thet im_ignore_list column, i deleted it, but am still getting that error.

thanks!!!

Minha

Sorry, but I'm reading this thread and I'm unable to find a converter for vbulletin 3.5 to SMF 1.1 :(

Anyone knows if there are any converter to do this?

Sorry for my poor english ;)

regards from spain

digiSal

I was able to get the conversion to go by deleting the area in the script that was converting the im_ignore_list. after that the conversion was stopping at trying to convert the Email Notifications but i just commented that out and it ran through but then i got a duplicate entries in the log_notfiy but after deleting the entires manually in the database the conversion completed with some errors but everything looks like its there... thanks guys!!!!!

testomg iser

Quote from: netlite on November 23, 2005, 06:13:04 PM
My problem is:

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user: '[email protected]' for table 'phpbb_users'

I have the solution!
You have two folders, one being the forum you need to convert from (A) , and a folder you need to convert to  (B).

You have two databases, one being say database_A and database_B

If you try converting, you'll get the error "...the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it."

Solution: Export the tables from Database_B once its been freshly installed and import them to Database_A.  Its not pretty, but your tables will have a prefix to prevent overrighting, such as phpbb_ mb_ or smf_

Go to the settings/config.php file in the folder (B) which was tied to Database_B and tell it that it is now in Database_A

The reason is that the converter is ment to be done in the same database, but between different tables.  Dont know why, but that is the only solution if you get that problem.

Furthermore, for those whom want to convert from Mercuryboard, I fixed the converter!  I spent the day editing PHP and MYSQL code to bypass the smf_private_pms error.

Download the file and run it from the directory of the forum you want to be converted to.  It has been zipped with WinRar. (for those who only use Winzip to know)

It has a couple mysql errors at the very end but it sucessfully converts topics, ranks, usernames, profiles, avatars, boards, posts.. you name it!

hxxp:www.dragonannihilators.net/mercurytosmfconverter.rar [nonactive]

gabrielfin

Hi, I'm using the YaBB2 converter, and when it converts the messages, it gets stucked on a loop. It only converts a few messages (around 23000 out of 73000) and then says something about no primary key to drop, and duplicated column "temp_filename". So I tried creating a primary key and deleting the column, and it does the same again. Then I tried deleting the "drop key" and "add column" query, and it still went in a loop, reconverting all the messages on and on.
I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.

PS: By loop, I mean that I keep getting the "Not quite done yet" message.

testomg iser

yeah, you'll have to go into the php and fidn the section it cannot do, remove it manually and then reupload.   It will skip what you took out and at least finish the rest.  Cant convert everything, but at least it works.

gabrielfin

Yes, that's what I did. But there's still the loop, with the difference that now it's automatic. As soon as it gets to around 27.000 messages, it starts from 0 again. :'(
Thanks for answering. :D

Sven0

Quote from: Compuart on November 10, 2005, 11:00:35 AM
The board you're converting from contains some integrity errors that prevent topics to be inserted. Most likely some of the topics have equal last messages. The easiest way to work around it is to change the indexes of the topics table to non-unique indexes:
ALTER TABLE smf_topics
DROP INDEX lastMessage,
DROP INDEX firstMessage,
DROP INDEX poll,
ADD INDEX lastMessage (ID_LAST_MSG, ID_BOARD),
ADD INDEX firstMessage (ID_FIRST_MSG, ID_BOARD),
ADD INDEX poll (ID_POLL, ID_TOPIC)

After everything is converted, you can use the 'repair boards' function and readd the unique indexes if you like.

Hi, i also used the way that you suggest, but there is a problem...

If i click on "Find and repair any errors." is this listed:

Listing of forum errors
The following errors are fouling up your forum:
The subject of topic #2 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
The subject of topic #3 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
The subject of topic #4 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
The subject of topic #8 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
The subject of topic #20755 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
The subject of topic #20756 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
The subject of topic #20757 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
The subject of topic #20758 is currently not stored in the subject cache.
Cached word 'bei' is linked to a non-existant topic.
Cached word 'smf' is linked to a non-existant topic.
Cached word 'willkommen' is linked to a non-existant topic.

Would you like to fix these errors?
Yes - No

And if i click on YES the following error appears:

Database Error
MySQL server has gone away
File: /usr/local/vhosts/httpd/htdocs/forum2/Sources/RepairBoards.php
Line: 626

Help is needed, Thanx!

Update: still need help, is it possible to get the SQL Codes of that work of RepairBoards.php, so that i can drop the sql code manually in phpmyadmin?

sallymander

Quote from: testomg iser on November 26, 2005, 10:09:33 PM
Quote from: netlite on November 23, 2005, 06:13:04 PM

You have two databases, one being say database_A and database_B

If you try converting, you'll get the error "...the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it."

Solution: Export the tables from Database_B once its been freshly installed and import them to Database_A.  Its not pretty, but your tables will have a prefix to prevent overrighting, such as phpbb_ mb_ or smf_

Go to the settings/config.php file in the folder (B) which was tied to Database_B and tell it that it is now in Database_A

The reason is that the converter is ment to be done in the same database, but between different tables.  Dont know why, but that is the only solution if you get that problem.

I have never messed with the tables before.  Can you help with more specific instructions
thanks
Sally

Advertisement: