PingThis SMF Mod

Started by InfoStrides, July 13, 2010, 05:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfoStrides

Quote from: luuuciano on July 17, 2010, 08:17:30 PM
what happen when someone clics over the P image?
users have to select something? or the page is just "pinged"

(to understand how ping.fm works, never used it...)

When you click on the 'P' icon, it automatically retrieve current title link and link, which will posted to ping. User must have registered with ping.fm already. The good thing is that ping.fm updates more 30 social networks immediately. But user must as well register all his/her social networks on ping.fm.

Read this article for brief instructions/guidelines on how to use ping.fm: How to Easily Increase Your Website, Forum, & Blog Visitors.
I hope this help.

InfoStrides

Quote from: arty5 on July 18, 2010, 07:34:36 AM
They fixed the problem on ping and thanx for the mod :D

Yes, the problem is fixed. Further comments on the mod would be appreciated. This will help improve on next version.

luuuciano

Interesting, thanks for the explanation!

BTW, what about sending new topics to ping.fm?
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

InfoStrides

Quote from: luuuciano on July 18, 2010, 03:06:48 PM
Interesting, thanks for the explanation!

BTW, what about sending new topics to ping.fm?

I have an instruction already on how to auto-post to or auto-update your ping.fm account. Check the link below for more information.

How to Auto-Post to ping.fm from Your Forum/Website

InfoStrides

Feedback will be appreciated from those that have used this mod. This will help us improve on next version.

wizzard1

short question im planning on getting the facebook connect mod aswell
can i use this mod together with that doesnt it conflict anyhow ?

InfoStrides

Quote from: wizzard1 on July 24, 2010, 07:32:59 AM
short question im planning on getting the facebook connect mod aswell
can i use this mod together with that doesnt it conflict anyhow ?

Thanks for your enquiry. You can use the two mods together. There is no conflict at all. I have tested this and it worked very fine. You check my forum for instance: http://www.theinfostrides.com

Meanwhile, with PingThis SMF Mod, you can also update your facebook wall and pages alongside other social networks with a click on the "P" image.

I hope this answer your question!

wizzard1

and it does so im gonna use it aswell
i do love the fact that 1 button does it all for me :)

ty for answer

InfoStrides

Quote from: wizzard1 on July 24, 2010, 05:48:01 PM
and it does so im gonna use it aswell
i do love the fact that 1 button does it all for me :)

ty for answer

It is a pleasure. I hope to hear your feedback about the mod.

InfoStrides

This mod has been updated with the following:
Version 1.2
* Release date: July 28, 2010
* Added Enable/Disable Function

Update your version now and share your comments...

lucas-ruroken

Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

Afro

Weldone!
You also need to give instruction to newbies on how to update.
Something like "uninstall the previous version" before installing the 1.2v.
Too many stupid people browse here.

wizzard1

this is a great great mod it works so easy
really nice job indeed and thank you very much

InfoStrides

Quote from: Afro on July 29, 2010, 04:17:05 AM
Weldone!
You also need to give instruction to newbies on how to update.
Something like "uninstall the previous version" before installing the 1.2v.
Too many stupid people browse here.

This is noted! Thanks for your inspiration.

InfoStrides

ActivePatriot

Hate to rain on the parade, especially since it sounded so good I spent 5 hours of my life setting up accounts and the auto-post you detailed infostrides but.....

Having done all that, I posted to see how it all was going to work out.  I checked the social networks and Hooray! it was auto posting to all the social networks I had connected.  Then I sat back and waited for the increased hits back to my pages I was expecting.....

and waited....and waited

No rise, what the heck?

Turns out Ping was sending the feeds to the networks as post reply to thread.  Since it's like this, visiters coming from the social network sites run smack into a register or log-in screen instead of seeing the post!

Seems to be an ongoing issue with Ping Feeds that the company won't even address in it's blog.  Ping members have been complaining for months.

I was hoping it was something I did wrong, but that does not appear to be the case.  Until Ping fixes that and shows it can be reliable and responsive to members who were depending on them, I'll settle for the old fashioned way. 

Maybe you can have sway with them and tell them to get their act together because I still would like to use this in the future.

InfoStrides

Quote from: ActivePatriot on July 29, 2010, 08:58:47 PM
Hate to rain on the parade, especially since it sounded so good I spent 5 hours of my life setting up accounts and the auto-post you detailed infostrides but.....

Having done all that, I posted to see how it all was going to work out.  I checked the social networks and Hooray! it was auto posting to all the social networks I had connected.  Then I sat back and waited for the increased hits back to my pages I was expecting.....

and waited....and waited

No rise, what the heck?

Turns out Ping was sending the feeds to the networks as post reply to thread.  Since it's like this, visiters coming from the social network sites run smack into a register or log-in screen instead of seeing the post!

Seems to be an ongoing issue with Ping Feeds that the company won't even address in it's blog.  Ping members have been complaining for months.

I was hoping it was something I did wrong, but that does not appear to be the case.  Until Ping fixes that and shows it can be reliable and responsive to members who were depending on them, I'll settle for the old fashioned way. 

Maybe you can have sway with them and tell them to get their act together because I still would like to use this in the future.

You're very right with all that said but note that using ping also increases chances of getting your forum contents crawled instantly by spiders like Google, bing, etc. That is a plus!

On seeing login when you auto-post to ping, there is trick to that... Please disable "Short URL" in your ping settings.

Go to Settings ====> Default Settings. Uncheck everything and click update settings.

Please let me know if this work for you.

Afro

@attivepatriot
Right. Topics more than 20 characters are automatically shortened by ping.
Doing what infostrides said up there will correct that for you.
You also have no reason to complain about the hits you got instantly.
This is a free mod. Either use it or leave it if you are not convinced it works.

ActivePatriot

Quote from: InfoStrides on July 30, 2010, 12:02:30 AM

You're very right with all that said but note that using ping also increases chances of getting your forum contents crawled instantly by spiders like Google, bing, etc. That is a plus!

On seeing login when you auto-post to ping, there is trick to that... Please disable "Short URL" in your ping settings.

Go to Settings ====> Default Settings. Uncheck everything and click update settings.

Please let me know if this work for you.

Thank you Infostrides,

I've made the changes on my Ping account and will let everyone know the results. 

Also, you might want to include this useful tidbit of advice on your thread here:
http://www.theinfostrides.com/index.php?topic=4273.0

Could save some frustration for others doing the same thing.

Quote@attivepatriot
Right. Topics more than 20 characters are automatically shortened by ping.
Doing what infostrides said up there will correct that for you.
You also have no reason to complain about the hits you got instantly.
This is a free mod. Either use it or leave it if you are not convinced it works.

I like things that work and I complain when they do not work the way they should.
That being said, I jumped the gun a bit on my complaints when I found no way to control the Ping feed and everyone that came to the site faced a login screen.  It did, in fact, bring increased traffic to the site but 98% left when faced immediately with a log-in screen.  Increased hits on my website mean nothing if people don't stay.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes.  I do remain quite hopeful after changing the Default Settings with Ping.

ActivePatriot

Quick update for those considering using Ping.

After changing my setting in the Ping account how Infostrides mentioned above, the problem I had was corrected.

That being said, I see great potential in using Ping for increasing traffic to your site and would definitely recommend it.

I'll be tracking my google analytics and adsense and let you guys know the results in a month or so.

Advertisement: