Unable to verify referring url Error?

Started by anidea, July 14, 2010, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenovanis

Teejay, you should enable cookies. Try subdomain independent cookies first, if that doesn't work try local cookies. The way it's setup now is never going to work.

Quote from: anidea on August 25, 2010, 09:27:42 PM
I am SOOOOO excited!  NO (as in ZERO) verifying URL errors since my last post!  And only TWO (2) login errors in an 8-hour period!  Woo hoo! 

Now that that's taken care of, more mods to go lololol

Thank you, everyone!

That's great to see :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

TeeJay

Thanks Xenovains
I've just tried every setting combination I can and I still get the error

xenovanis

Have you tried running repair_settings? Upload it to your forumlocation on server, run it from there (like http://www,yoursite.com/forum/repair_settings.php) and make sure the recommended values for cookies and sessions are entered.

What is repair_settings.php?

Also, do you still get the errors when changing to the default theme?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

anidea

I know this is a little--ok, not little--OT for this thread, but since it's still going and you all are still posting here....I'm looking for a portal for the forum now.

I am thinking so far from what I've read, SimplePortal or PortaMX...but I'm not even sure what they really do.  Sooooo...

My question in this thread is, which board should I post my question in? 

I'd like to get feedback from people about these mods so I can figure out which will work best for us, but I don't want anyone to get mad at me for posting in the wrong place.  It's kinda confusing, there's so many possible places to post....and it would be nice if there were some easy way to compare this sorta stuff, there's so many mods to choose from lol

The main problem I'm looking to solve is that I have ajax chat but it's not really integrated with my forum, and from what I've read, some of these portals give you integrated chat, integrated smilies, etc.  Plus I'd like to have boxes to move stuff around so I can make the forum itself a bit more user friendly (as opposed to lots of scrolling and such that we have now).

please forgive that this is OT...a pointer to an appropriate place would be great help, and then I can delete this if you like.  I really appreciate how patient and helpful you all have been!  :)

Kill Em All

You can ask here, I used to use Tinyportal, but now I use Simpleportal. TBH, every mod has their own perks and bads. So your gonna have to try each portal for your site to see which one fits your needs best. There isn't really a set ruling on which one is best.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

anidea

ok, so how 'bout this: what prompted you to make the switch from one to the other?

I'm sure they all got their pros & cons, but I need to start somewhere, and it's confusing as all heck!  LOL

Kill Em All

Its a lame reason, because Tinyportal didn't work with SMF 2.0 at the time and Simpleportal did... I would consider going back to TP, but I like SP too, plus I don't want to get my new admin confused with a new portal system. haha

If TP had been 2.0 at the time, I probably would of stuck with it because it just worked for me. But SP also works just fine for me. I can't speak about the other portal mods as I have never tried them.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

anidea

Fair enough.

I just installed PortalMx...It seems nice enough, but I'm not sure how to get stuff into it...maybe it doesn't come with a shoutbox?  I thought that was the whole point of a portal.  hmmmm.  Probably getting rid of it is going to be a pain lol

Kill Em All

No, shoutboxes are just bonus prizes for portals. Although I think all portals come with a shoutbox somewhere. If you want just a shoutbox without the whole portal behind it, look over here:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=shoutbox

Uninstalling shouldn't be to bad, just use the package manager.

anidea

Thanks...actually, we have a shoutbox and it's pretty good, it's just not all that integrated.  I was reading about portals with integrated shoutboxes...and I like the idea of a portal anyway, I was going to try to write my own theme before I figured out what they were, that's really what I want to do anyway.

Just uninstalled PortalMx (couldn't find a shoutbox in there).  About to install Simple Portal.  Maybe it'll make more sense on how to get the shoutbox in there.

Kill Em All

TeeJay

Quote from: xenovanis on August 26, 2010, 03:20:58 PM
Have you tried running repair_settings? Upload it to your forumlocation on server, run it from there (like http://www,yoursite.com/forum/repair_settings.php) and make sure the recommended values for cookies and sessions are entered.

What is repair_settings.php?

Also, do you still get the errors when changing to the default theme?

Hi xenovains
Yes I have run repair_settings and tried with the default theme
Seems no matter what I do I can't get rid of the error or use the delete old posts function

Kill Em All

TeeJay, please start posting in your own topic as this one is not going to get much attention.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=396838

anidea

Quote from: Kill Em All on August 27, 2010, 02:38:43 AM
Alrighty, good luck. :)
LOL Thanks.

SimplePortal is installed & configured...but I can't make anything happen with it!  Grrrr....  Learning curve too steep sometimes lol

Ok, I think I also need to take this to the SimplePortal thread/board or whatever :)

Kill Em All

Yeah, over at simpleportal.net, they will know what is going wrong.

TeeJay

Oh well, problem is still there and as it happens it also occurs when trying to use the admin area to remove attatchments
The folder is now full so I'm going to have to either put up with manually removing attatchments or have a serious look at alternative forum software

As for using the thread I created, well I created that as sugegsted but had no resolution in there so came back to this thread

Kill Em All

TeeJay, please stick to the one topic and try bumping that if the last post has been more than 24 hours ago...

Advertisement: