Started by eddie_1973, July 18, 2010, 07:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie_1973

I am having trouble getting my avatr uploaded. I am getting an error.
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.
I have changed the permissions on /forums/attachments/ 777 and still wont work, and I tried other permission settings. I have done the repair_settings.php.
I am on version 2.0 RC3. I recently converted from PHPbb3. Any help will be appreciated.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Try changing the permissions to 755 instead, if problem persists post back, if not topic solved :)

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

eddie_1973

That did not fix the error!

gbsothere

What error messages are showing up in your forum's error log that seem to be related to this?
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

eddie_1973

Nothing related to the avatar.

[16-Jul-2010 18:13:23] PHP Warning:  require_once(/home/flyakaco/public_html/board/Sources/QueryString.php) [<a href='function.require-once'>function.require-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/flyakaco/public_html/board/index.php on line 54

gbsothere

Just curious about something, eddie....   

If you go to your control panel and to the file manager for your domain, then navigate to your forum's folder.....   taking a look at the avatar directory, do you see your own username and group name listed as the owner of that directory, or do you see something else (like, apache, for instance)?  If you don't see your own username and group, then you don't own the file and, more than likely, "chmod" isn't working, even though it seems to be.  You'll need to "chown" (or ask your server to give you ownership).   I had a very similar issue in the recent past and it's definitely something to check.
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

eddie_1973

It has my username. I had no problems with avatars on phpbb.

gbsothere

I'm wondering if something glitched during the conversion... 

I'll post a link to this thread now in the support area so that other support members can take a look at it, eddie.  Someone should be by before too long to weigh in on this. 

eddie_1973

gbsothere

I've left a link concerning your thread.   While mulling it over, I'm just wondering if in Admin-->  Attachments and Avatars  --> Avatar Settings, what you have next to "Upload avatars to..."? 

eddie_1973

gbsothere

Actually, it was the pulldown menu next to "Upload avatars to..." I was wondering about and you have yours set to "Attachments Directory" which is what my RC3 test board is set to and it works fine.  Now.... oddly enough, on my 1.1.11 board, I had to change that pulldown to "Specific Directory" to get my avatars to upload.  I decided to specify the Avatar directory and entered the path in the first field, something like:  /var/www/vhosts/mywebsite.com/httpdocs/smf/avatars  and, in the second the url:  http://mywebsite.com/smf/avatars.  It worked, after that and I can't tell you why.  Just one of those odd little quirks.  Probably an ownership thing, but after it worked, I moved on to other things and never looked back.  *grin*

I know you said that your file manager shows that you own "Avatars" and you probably saw "Attachments" when you checked and would have noticed if you don't own that directory.  Still....  it's free to try, while we're waiting for one of the veterans to stop by with a solution, eddie, to use "Specific Directory" and see what happens.

Little disclaimer:   there is the small-print "This should not be the same as the server-stored directory."  Mine works, so I don't know what to say to that.  A "duct tape" solution, I guess.   :) 

eddie_1973

gbsothere

I saw three solutions, researching this, eddie. 

Two were pretty odd, but they worked for the users.

One simply said that he reuploaded a fresh index.php to his forum's root and it sorted it, so, possibly it was corrupted in the process.

Another said that he created a folder inside the avatar folder and one inside the attachments folder, named them (said the name wasn't important) and gave those folders the correct permissions, adjusted the paths to correctly reflect this and that he is all sorted, now. He didn't say if he returned that pulldown to "Attachments directory" or if he left it at "Specified", so you'd have to try it both ways, but I suspect "Attachments directory".

The third said that, after running repair_settings.php and clicking the suggestions where his paths were different, he still found, when going into his admin and checking that the fields for the paths to these directories were left blank.  He said that when he manually added them and saved his changes, he was good to go.

Barring any of these, I'm stumped.  Someone much smarter than I will come along here in a bit and point you in the right direction, I'm sure. 

:)

eddie_1973

I did the 3rd, I will look into the other ones. TY for the help.

gbsothere

Quote from: eddie_1973 on July 18, 2010, 10:31:13 PM
I did the 3rd, I will look into the other ones. TY for the help.

Good luck with it; eddie.  I'll glance in, in the morning and see this was sorted.  I'm sure it will be.   :)

gbsothere

eddie, a couple of questions/suggestions from staff members:

First, when you're posting, using "Additional Options" below the reply box, does attachment uploading work?

Also, it's been suggested that you simply try a different image, saved with a different program (or simply try a few small images saved from Google).  If none of them work, then there is something definitely wrong, but if only some fail with that error message while others upload, it could be a false positive from the security checks built in to SMF, and SMF is rejecting the image as a security risk.

I was also wondering...   have you only tried uploading an image stored locally on your computer, or are you getting the error message when you choose the options "Choose avatar from gallery" or
"Specify avatar by URL"?

Also, I just wanted to point out that, even though I mentioned "workarounds" that I have tried and that I discovered other users have tried, the settings really should be that avatars are uploaded to the Attachments Directory so the goal is to get this sorted with that setting in place.   :)

eddie_1973

It's not only me. Knonbody can add their avatar. Have tried a different image, with the same results.

When I try to upload through Additional Options, I get this error

Cannot access attachments upload path!

For some reason it wont let me delete the path I tried to use, when I tried Specific Directory. I have it set to attachment directory right now.

I am getting the error when selecting from local directory.

gbsothere

Eddie, from time to time, we suggest that users provide (through personal message, not here on a public thread) a temporary admin account to their forums so that we can take a look at things with fresh eyes.  FTP information would also be beneficial.

When I suggest this, I always ask that the member views this thread before divulging sensitive information:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0

In addition to offering to view your settings, I've shared your most recent reply with other support members and am waiting to get more feedback.

eddie_1973

I don't have a problem with that. You want me to PM you the info?

gbsothere

Quote from: eddie_1973 on July 19, 2010, 05:55:26 PM
I don't have a problem with that. You want me to PM you the info?

Sure, eddie, that would be fine.   I'd need a temporary admin account and a temporary ftp account (you can delete these after I've looked at things). 

gbsothere

Eddie, I think it's sorted.  Try it and, if it's working for you, let me know.   :)

eddie_1973

Thank you for the help gbsothere!

gbsothere

melanieh75

gbsothere

Quote from: melanieh75 on July 20, 2010, 07:51:23 AM
Was this resolved?

It was, melanieh75.  If you're also having avatar issues, you'll need to start a new thread, since this one is tagged "solved" and most support members won't bother to look at it.   :)

Advertisement: