Who's online issue

Started by MATTEK, July 20, 2010, 11:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATTEK

I've made some mistakes while editing some php files and I'd like to revert back to the other day when I backed my forum up. How do I do this? - RESOLVED

New Issue

When you view who's online it shows people who are viewing the board index as "unknown action"
SMF 2.0.1

Like Comics, Books, Movies or T.V. Shows? Read about them here!!

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: MATTEK on July 20, 2010, 11:19:12 PM
I've made some mistakes while editing some php files and I'd like to revert back to the other day when I backed my forum up. How do I do this?

If you made mistakes with PHP files, you should not need to change the database, as their 2 different things.

Did you backup your forum files or just the database?

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

MATTEK

Got passed that. Thanks, though.

However I've run into a new problem. When you view Who's online it shows people who are viewing the forum as "Uknown Action". Know how to fix that?
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

It's meant to do that sometimes. Doesn't need fixing. :)

MATTEK

Quote from: Antechinus on July 21, 2010, 01:46:19 AM
It's meant to do that sometimes. Doesn't need fixing. :)

It wasn't like that yesterday before I modified and changed my menu to drop down menus. The only time I ever got Unknown Action was when a user was playing an arcade game. Now it's constant. 5-6 people all have Unknown Action because they're viewing the forum.
SMF 2.0.1

gbsothere

I don't know if anyone's tweaked this for RC3 but I adapted this "Tip" when it was bugging me, as well.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=192529.msg1225427#msg1225427

At least I have an inkling, now, even if it's still a bit vague.   :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

MATTEK

Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 21, 2010, 04:33:18 PM
Quote from: MATTEK on July 21, 2010, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 21, 2010, 12:47:59 PM
hmmm, The arcade who list works for me, maybe you should look on the mod site and parse the mod, compare it to your who.english.php file
Wow. Ever since this issue started occuring, I can NOW see Arcade games being played, but when someone is viewing who's online themselves, it says unknown and when they are viewing the forum it says unknown too. It's all backwards now! lol

Compare your who.english.php to a clean one from the SMF package installer, your missing a line if it says unknown actions when people are viewing whos online.

If its missing from the languages, which I suspect it is, the line should be

$txt['whoall_who'] = 'Viewing <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=who">Who\'s Online</a>.';

If its not missing, then try clearing your cache, however, I would strongly suggest starting a new topic, as we have pretty much high-jacked this one lol

I'm no good at this stuff. Everytime I change a .php file I get parse errors. Does the spacing matter?
SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

You could have got a parse error simply by forgetting the  "  ;  " at the end PHP does not count spaces or white space as anything. white space will NOT cause a parse error

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 22, 2010, 01:03:18 PM
You could have got a parse error simply by forgetting the  "  ;  " at the end PHP does not count spaces or white space as anything. white space will NOT cause a parse error

Ok. However, I see some coding is indented or "tabbed" over. If that's wrong could it cause a parse error or is that considered a white space?
SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: MATTEK on July 22, 2010, 01:07:46 PM
Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 22, 2010, 01:03:18 PM

Ok. However, I see some coding is indented or "tabbed" over. If that's wrong could it cause a parse error or is that considered a white space?

That's just to make the code uniform and look tidy, so people can look through it easily, even it it was a complete mess it would still not cause a parse error, just would be a pain to look through.

If your getting a parse error changing this, look at the entries above the line your trying to add, you will see your error eventually, if not, attach the offending file and I will point out where your error is.

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

Thank you John. I'll try this when I get home.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

I dont have who.english.php but i do have who.php. I'm looking in sources right?
SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: MATTEK on July 22, 2010, 07:58:50 PM
I dont have who.english.php but i do have who.php. I'm looking in sources right?

Well we have not established that's where the error is yet, when diagnosing, I usually check the languages 1st, who.english.php is in .Themes/{yourtheme}/languages/

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

live627

Any mods?

Did you refresh the page a few times?

MATTEK

A bunch of mods. But from the time it worked to the time it didn't work I did not install any new mods. And yes I've refreshed a few times.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

You will have to try and remember when it stopped working, if you noticed.

With lots of mods installed and no knowing which mods, its very difficult to track these issues, without been in the driver seat.

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

It stopped working after I changed my subs.php file to oprganize my cluttered menu into a drop down menu. However, the guy who helped me edit the file says subs.php has nothing to do with Who's Online.
SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: MATTEK on July 26, 2010, 12:04:30 PM
It stopped working after I changed my subs.php file to oprganize my cluttered menu into a drop down menu. However, the guy who helped me edit the file says subs.php has nothing to do with Who's Online.

I don't think it does have anything to do with it either, any other changes in the same time frame?

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

Any more ideas?

I'd just like it to display what my members are doing lol.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

A little more information for my helpers : When I view who's online, it says I'm performing an "unknown action". If I refresh the page about 4 times, it eventually says I'm Viewing Who's Online. Could it be that the Who's online is delayed and can't register the action quick enough?
SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: MATTEK on July 28, 2010, 03:06:17 PM
A little more information for my helpers : When I view who's online, it says I'm performing an "unknown action". If I refresh the page about 4 times, it eventually says I'm Viewing Who's Online. Could it be that the Who's online is delayed and can't register the action quick enough?

Sometimes that happens, its probably something on you server side, like slow loading of certain things, usually it could take an extra refresh to get an accurate result.

Like, when your viewing forum, then quickly go to who's online, sometimes you will be in the online list viewing forum still, even though your not.

Long story short, its probably nothing to worry about...

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

I have members complaining about it though. honestly, the only time I ever had unknown actions up was when someone was playing the arcade. And that was fine, cause everyone knew what it meant. Now, every second action is unknown.
SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: MATTEK on July 28, 2010, 03:58:26 PM
I have members complaining about it though. honestly, the only time I ever had unknown actions up was when someone was playing the arcade. And that was fine, cause everyone knew what it meant. Now, every second action is unknown.

Well, its because you have so many mods, and likely a custom theme, it will be difficult for support to narrow this down, from our end anyway

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

Quote from: Community Support Helper Jc on July 28, 2010, 04:01:24 PM
Quote from: MATTEK on July 28, 2010, 03:58:26 PM

Well, its because you have so many mods, and likely a custom theme, it will be difficult for support to narrow this down, from our end anyway

No custom theme. Default theme, but modified. And why was it working previous to the menu customization? No additional mods were installed so I'm confused as to why you think it's a mod?
SMF 2.0.1

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Do you have a backup from before the menu customization?

SMF 2.0 RC5

MATTEK

I'd have to find it. Not at home right now.
SMF 2.0.1

Kindred

probably about half the mods out there do NOT add their functions into the who's online action array...  so the more action mods that you have, the more "unknown action" you'll see...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheListener

The only users on my forum allowed to see who is online is the admins.

Kindred

Brack...   what the heck does that have to do with the OP?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheListener

Quote from: Kindred on July 28, 2010, 05:19:43 PM

Sorry was thinking aloud. If the members don't like it don't let them view it.

MATTEK

Quote from: Brack1 on July 28, 2010, 05:22:53 PM
Quote from: Kindred on July 28, 2010, 05:19:43 PM

Sorry was thinking aloud. If the members don't like it don't let them view it.

We play games on my site and a few of the post games use tactics like, viewing what the person is doing.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

I removed an extra value of Facebook_Main() 1; or something from my portalblocks.php and for some reason it's all displaying perfect now.
SMF 2.0.1

Advertisement: