News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF Notify Group

Started by pftq, July 21, 2010, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pftq

Link to Mod

SMF Notify Group
by pftq
www.pftq.com/smf-notifygroup/
Version 1.8 (May 28 2012) for SMF Forums 1.1.x
Version 2.2 (May 28 2012) for SMF Forums 2.0.x
*Newest Update: Batch-mode added for editing multiple boards/threads at once.

ABOUT:
   This is a short script I wrote so I can turn on notification of a topic for an entire membergroup.  The script works by letting you first select membergroups and then the members within those groups that you want to enable (or disable) notification for.  It also shows the members currently subscribed to the topic.  Currently, only the forum administrator would be able to use the script.
   I actually looked really hard to find a similar script before making this one but couldn't find one.  If a much better script already exists, I'd be more than happy to know about it.

INSTALL:

Copy the notifygroup folder to your forum Packages folder (where you installed your forum).

Go to Packages in your Administration Center to install.

To access the script, go to: yourforums/index.php?action=notifygroup

Also, 'Notify Group' link should now be visible in the topic display for Admins.  The appearance can be changed by modifying the theme files.  If you have a custom theme, you'll want to copy the changes to your Display.template.php file (see Optional below).

OPTIONAL:
    The script works best if you add a "Notify Group" button to your theme, so you can get to the script faster without selecting a topic.  To do this, open the Display.template.php file of your theme.  If you do not have one, copy the file from 'default' theme to your theme.

Find 'function theme_show_main_buttons()'.

Above '// Special case for the custom one.', insert the following:

// pftq: Notify group
      if($context['user']['is_admin'])
      $normal_buttons['notifygroup'] = array('text' => 'notifygroup', 'image' => '', 'lang' => true, 'url' => $scripturl . '?action=notifygroup;topic='.$context['current_topic']);

If you know HTML, you can modify the code to include an actual button if you want.  It's up to you. :)

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
   A lot of the posts I read about why SMF did not include this feature was that having too many notications at once would overload the server.  (Imagine every new reply emails all the members on your board.)
   This means that while the "Check All" button is there, you probably don't *actually* want to check all the groups or members.  However, I don't know how powerful your server is or how many members you have.  What you do is ultimately your decision.

juanpons14

Can you put some screenshots of the mod?
Can this mod set the notification on as default for a mombergroup isn't it?

Descarga deirecta de series, películas, música y mucho más! en
Planetdescargas.com

pftq

Hi, this mod does not affect default notification settings but instead directly enables or disables notifications for a group of members.

You can affect default notifications for all members without the mod if you go to:
Admin -> Themes and Layouts -> Reset Option

I am not sure if you can specify for one group only though.

ricklynn2

Hi, is there ANY way to do the same function on a "board" rather than just "topic"

Will I need additional script mod to notify group of the entire board?

Thanks

pftq

Hi, this script does not expand into notifications for board.  I can look into it later this month though if you think the feature is worth having.

ricklynn2

Yes please.  I am very thankful of your help.  I need this notify board option to use SMF to run virtual board meetings.

Thanks in advance and I am very grateful.

Sincerely

ricklynn2

Hi Mr. Pftq

Sorry about being annoying and greedy.... any luck in making a notify Board mod?

I sincerely thank you for your help if you are willing to help me with this.  If not I also understand.  I am just grateful of the "notify group" mod you made. 

Thanks for your help

pftq

Sorry I did not mean to ignore you.  My schedule has been hectic the last couple of weeks, so I was planning to work on this mod over Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the reminder, and I will have the mod updated by this Saturday. :)

pftq

Updated.  It's basically just like the Topic notification page except for boards.  Let me know if you want any more changes made. :)

NoFeaR / NFSMW

Hi there. would this be possible for SMF 2 RC3?

impreza

great mod, thanks for making it
Portal ToTemat.pl - treści w postaci artykułów i filmów tematycznych.

pftq

Thanks

I am still only using SMF 1.1.x right now so I am not familiar with the code for SMF2 sorry.

northview

I am a newbie to SMF and before I seek any assistance I would first like to say that I just LOVE this software, it is so professional and well appointed with features, thanks very much to all those involved in its development and continued success.

I recently installed this "Notify Group" mod, which is a feature that apparently numerous indviduals requested and will probably really appreciate, especially for small forum groups like board of directors, fitness groups, etc.

The problem I'm having is that the install went fine but when I try to run the command noted below, I always receive an error 403. I tried changing my CHMOD settings to 777 but that didn't appear to resolve. Do any of you have any experience with this error pertaining to this mod?  If yes, I would sure appreciate some help.  Thanks in advance.

"mydomain/forum/Packages/index.php?action=notifygroup"

pftq

Hi I have not run into that error before - I don't think you should have to CHMOD anything.  What file did you change? If anything, I would suggest tryiing 644 or 755 instead of 777.

northview

A web search indicates the following problem when error 403 occurs: The Web server (running the Web site) thinks that the HTTP data stream sent by the client (e.g. your Web browser was correct, but access to the resource identified by the URL is forbidden for some reason.

Isn't CHMOD 777 providing more open access which in affect means it wouldn't hurt, other than from a security perspective?

pftq

From my experience, 644 and 755 settings have generally been better - maybe because of the host server's settings.  I've had situations where switching to those instead of 777 cleared up the page error.

Do you have a link to the site you can send me and maybe a test account (feel free to send it to me in a PM)?

northview

Thanks again "pftq" for pointing out my link was incorrect and should have been: "mydomain/forum/index.php?action=notifygroup", that was really appreciated.

Also, I didn't realize you were the author, thanks for the great mod.

Two more questions arise, if you don't mind.

1.) The current mod requires you to add users on a "per board basis", can you create one that adds "all users" on a "per forum" basis?
      I realize there are many comments against this, however, for boards with minimal members, i.e. a board of directors with 7 users, this would be preferred.

2.) If a users settings are set on a per Board basis to be notified, will this include "all" topics within a board?

Thanks in advance.

pftq

Sorry if this was not clear in the mod.  The Per-Board basis is not enabling notifications for every topic reply in that board but turning on notifications for new topics made there (the same function as clicking Notify in the board view).  For replies, you'd still have to do it per topic but they would get the initial topic notification from a new topic being made.

I am not sure if I understand #1.  Do you mean to just do the same as the Board Notify but automatically enable it for all boards? Is this the same as just going through each board and clicking to notify all the members?

northview

Thanks again for the response.

Yes, re question # 1, as you know from all the other posts on this subject, when there are a minimal amount of members, i.e. a corporations' "board of directors" (7), requesting each of them to click "Notify" for each Board and also, ensuring that "each" topic has the checkbox enabled to "Notify me of replies", may not be guaranteed.

Ideally, a feature to enable "ALL" Form Boards and "ALL" Topics on a per Group basis would seem logical.  Or, perhaps the ability to set a DEFAULT that whenever a NEW Board or a NEW Topic or a REPLY to a Topic is created, it would automaticaly set the notifications to TRUE for a particular group.

Having read all the past posts on this subject, I understand and agree that it would be foolish to use this type of update on a large member Forum but it appears there are a vast number of users with forums that don't fall into that category.

As you are probably well aware, many users are still not that computer literate and trying to teach them to click here and there to setup features is almost impossible.

Finally, the answer is "YES" to your earlier comment: "Do you mean to just do the same as the Board Notify but automatically enable it for all boards? Is this the same as just going through each board and clicking to notify all the members?".

pftq

Okay - that's reasonable.  I understand your position as I have a number of small forums myself. :)

I think what I can do is have an option in the Features/Options of Admin that can enable "Topic/Reply Notifications Always On" to bypass any subscribing whatsover.  Would that work? The concern here would be if people want to unsubscribe - let them or no?

Advertisement: