News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SA Chat

Started by Diego Andrés, July 21, 2010, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threepwud

Interesting error, now. Anyone know the cause, perhaps?

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:59:50 UTC

Line: 1
Char: 17
Code: 0
URI: http://www.threepwood.co/index.php?action=forum

Line: 323
Char: 7
URI: http://www.threepwood.co/2sichat/index.php?action=body

Marsh

Anyway that i can just make this work for everyone instead of just buddies? Also a option for users to disable it that dont like it would be nice.

Awesome mod btw
625,195 Posts in 50,808 Topics by 34,295 Members.

Powered by SMF 2.0

www.touchofdeathproductions.com

nend

Quote from: Threepwud on July 27, 2010, 06:08:55 PM
Interesting error, now. Anyone know the cause, perhaps?

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:59:50 UTC

Line: 323
Char: 7
URI: http://www.threepwood.co/2sichat/index.php?action=body

Line 323 of the php code 2sichat/index.php does not contain any code but a line break. Line 323 of the output is... doCookies();..., which is JavaScript calling function doCookies. The output of that action should all be JavaScript which is called by the script tags in the index.template.php. These script tags declare the output of the file as script even though the file extension is not of a js. If this file is called for validation by itself as a PHP document then it will fail because there is nothing declaring it as a script so the testing program will not know what to process it as.

Line 1 of index.php is SMF, the chat does not touch that file. Line 1 of your output is...<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
...,which is correct.

What are you using to get these results? I am guessing whatever your testing with is not giving creditable results, looks like a IE test tool to me. I do most of my testing in Firefox with Firebug, which is a great little tool. I wouldn't be able to make the chat if it wasn't for Firebug. Maybe I should put them in my credits. :D

I have tested with the following browsers, which I believe to be the most popular - Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE and Chrome. Please note though if you have compatibility mode turned on in IE turn that junk off. Allot of JavaScript code in the chat system is custom tailored for IE(Stupid IE) since it does not work like the rest and Opera is really picky so it is a good final testing environment. And Netscape, will you can forget about Netscape, it is gone IMHO so no Netscape testing was done.

nend

Quote from: Marsh on July 27, 2010, 11:26:59 PM
Anyway that i can just make this work for everyone instead of just buddies? Also a option for users to disable it that dont like it would be nice.

Awesome mod btw
Showing everyone option is coming up in a future revision for sure, don't know which one, but it will be there. If you read some threads however at http://mods.2-si.net you will get a idea of how to do this yourself withing SMF. I may post something though when I get time. ;)

However I am not too sure about disabling the chat for individual users, I will probably add the possibility to disable it for everyone, because there are times you may want to disable it.

The main problem with this idea is it is diving into SMF, when I started this project the whole idea was to stay out of SMF's code. As you can see the only edits to SMF code is the admin panel for the chat and the two script tags in index.template.php. Other than that the chat is independent, it pulls SMF's resources and information without being loaded in SMF or loading SMF. The idea behind this is the ability to be displayed in non SMF pages. The chat will work outside of SMF as long as the user is logged in. So it is more of a bridge application than a SMF modification.

So I will have to consider this as a hack, not impossible but not going to be implemented. Not saying though I will not make the hack but it will not be considered for being part of the main package.

2-SI Chat Revision 25 index.php lines 3 & 4
This is the chat backend. It should only load chat junk.
It should be allot better than loading all that other junk.

2-SI Chat Revision 1 (aka Developmental 1) lines 3 & 4
This is the chat backend. It should only load messages.
It should be allot better than loading all that other junk.

Marsh

I just made separate themes that dont load the bar. Cant wait for the version that allows everyone. Thanks for making the mod :). The Gadgets to the bar is sweet.

Powered by SMF 2.0

Threepwud

Thanks for the quick reply!

It works well in Chrome and Firefox but displays an error in the bottom left of the screen in IE8 which I have attached. Clicking on it brings up the error I posted above. It still works but of course you want it to not have that error!

I installed it on a fresh install (http://www.threepwud.com/test) and it works very well. Then on my main test site http://www.threepwood.co it displays the error. I do have other themes there and another quick chat mod so it may be that...

Boricua012

Hi, i just installed the chat and everything is working fine BUT... it shows the same 3 members online when they aren't online. It doesn't show anyone else but those three. Anyways to fix this?

Cutter65

Im running SMF 2.0 RC3 with 2-SI_Chat_rev25 installed without any errors.

Purge all messages causes the following database error.

http://www.website.com/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=2sichat;save;sa=config
Database Error: Table 'name_smf.smf_chat' doesn't exist
File: /home/name/public_html/forum/Sources/2sichatAdmin.php
Line: 69

Line 69 has the following:

$smcFunc['db_query']('', 'DELETE FROM {db_prefix}chat',array());

Mod seems to work great other than one other issue I have noticed. If you add new buddies in SMF to your buddy list after the mod was installed they don't show up in the chat window only the ones that were on your list before you installed it are there. Thats how mine is anyways.

Hope to see the bugs ironed out on this great mod.

Thanks!
Cutter

Marsh

Quote from: Boricua012 on July 29, 2010, 01:04:05 AM
Hi, i just installed the chat and everything is working fine BUT... it shows the same 3 members online when they aren't online. It doesn't show anyone else but those three. Anyways to fix this?

It shows people even if they are offline but it should have a little red dot instead of a green one. It probably only shows 3 because they are your buddies.

Powered by SMF 2.0

Cutter65

Quote from: Cutter65 on July 29, 2010, 12:26:42 PM

Mod seems to work great other than one other issue I have noticed. If you add new buddies in SMF to your buddy list after the mod was installed they don't show up in the chat window only the ones that were on your list before you installed it are there. Thats how mine is anyways.

Thanks!
Cutter

I fixed the database error. 2sichatAdmin.php needs line 69 and 70 edited.

Line 69 = $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'DELETE FROM {db_prefix}chat',array());
Line 70 =   $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'ALTER TABLE {db_prefix}chat AUTO_INCREMENT = 0',array());

To:
Line 69 = $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'DELETE FROM {db_prefix}2sichat',array());
Line 70 =   $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'ALTER TABLE {db_prefix}2sichat AUTO_INCREMENT = 0',array());

Cutter

Boricua012

Quote from: Marsh on July 29, 2010, 12:47:39 PM
Quote from: Boricua012 on July 29, 2010, 01:04:05 AM

It shows people even if they are offline but it should have a little red dot instead of a green one. It probably only shows 3 because they are your buddies.

Ah, so it will show my buddies? I'm a bit confused because i have more than 3 buddies, so if it's like that, then it should show all my buddies even if they are offline right?

theguise

QuoteAh, so it will show my buddies? I'm a bit confused because i have more than 3 buddies, so if it's like that, then it should show all my buddies even if they are offline right?

No, you have to be buddies with each other.  You can add someone as a buddy and if they don't add you as a buddy back then you two don't truly connect.  2SI Chat works off of SMF's buddy system so the only way someone appears on your Who's Online list is if you both have added each other as a buddy.  It would be nice if SMF had a notification feature when someone adds you as a buddy, but they don't.  Maybe someone will eventually add a mod for this although I would feel like they would have done it already.

Cutter65

Quote from: theguise on July 29, 2010, 02:31:29 PM
QuoteAh, so it will show my buddies? I'm a bit confused because i have more than 3 buddies, so if it's like that, then it should show all my buddies even if they are offline right?

No, you have to be buddies with each other.  You can add someone as a buddy and if they don't add you as a buddy back then you two don't truly connect.  2SI Chat works off of SMF's buddy system so the only way someone appears on your Who's Online list is if you both have added each other as a buddy.  It would be nice if SMF had a notification feature when someone adds you as a buddy, but they don't.  Maybe someone will eventually add a mod for this although I would feel like they would have done it already.

Thanks for the info!

Thats why in my post above the new buddies were not showing in the chat window! Didn't know they both had to have each other as buddies!

Thanks again!
Cutter

theguise

Yeah, I'd love to be able to figure out a way to send a notification through ENotify or PM when someone adds you.  The Buddy Page mod let's you know if someone you have added as a buddy has added you or not.  But, if you haven't added someone as a buddy you have no idea that you yourself have been added as a buddy to someone.

nend

Quote from: Cutter65 on July 29, 2010, 01:11:32 PM
Quote from: Cutter65 on July 29, 2010, 12:26:42 PM

Thanks!
Cutter

I fixed the database error. 2sichatAdmin.php needs line 69 and 70 edited.

Line 69 = $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'DELETE FROM {db_prefix}chat',array());
Line 70 =   $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'ALTER TABLE {db_prefix}chat AUTO_INCREMENT = 0',array());

To:
Line 69 = $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'DELETE FROM {db_prefix}2sichat',array());
Line 70 =   $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'ALTER TABLE {db_prefix}2sichat AUTO_INCREMENT = 0',array());

Cutter

The old database table was just called chat. I figured it was too generic, but it looks like I forgot to change a couple lines to the new db table. This will be fixed in revision 26.

ukhalik2

superb mod.. worked great...
EXcellent JOB!! thanks very much!

theguise

I think people may want to think it over as to whether they want the option to show everyone who is online.  This may become a bit of a privacy/nuisance issue, because I know there are people I wouldn't want directly messaging me whenever they felt like it.  As of now I use the profile icon on post to where any user can click and talk to any user and I still feel like that's a bit intrusive.  In my opinion it should stick to just "buddies" but there needs to be some kind of notification for users when someone adds a member as a buddy, like i've said before and I wish I had the knowledge to figure this out.  I have been looking through SMF files though and if I ever figure it out (which is doubtful) I will post it somewhere. 

Shole

I just need help with one thing how to make it that it shows all the online members? I can't find the tut where it is shown anymore and anyhow I couldn't understand it :(
Can someone help me make all the members visibile in the who is online?

Mystery?

The mod is awesome, but is it possible to make it look EXACTLY like the facebook chat bar? The thing I don't like is that the design/theme/skin/color of the chat its too dull like make it look like its a part of the new default curve theme or something, can you change that? Otherwise, its one of the best mods out there.
Join my NEW website that I just created and be a big part of it (July 30, 2010): http://www.gamerstatic.net

theguise

Why don't you just go back in time and re-invent facebook? Just kidding.  Cometchat found here is the exact same chat bar as what facebook has pretty much.  But, it ranges from $49 to $500 to use it.  2SI Chat on the other hand is free thanks to nend and I greatly appreciate that, he has obviously put a lot of time and work into it.   The current design he has fits his own website very well, so obviously he built this for himself and took the time and went through all the hoopla to let everyone else at SMF use it.  All I'm saying is you can't really ask someone to change a design because you don't like it, he has a section on his personal support site for people to share their themes, so he's more than open to allowing anyone to alter his work specific to how they see fit. 

Advertisement: